Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding Colorado's Mountain Passes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 PM
catfish774
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
In 2007 I sponsored an HD Forums Ride that took in all 22 of the paved Colorado passes that were at least 10,000 ft. About 40 HD Forums members showed up for the week long ride.

Bill
Need to do this again!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by catfish774
Need to do this again!
Count me in.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:31 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I think I still have a couple of the maps that we made up for the ride. PM me an address and I will get one to you.

Bill
PM Sent. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by catfish774
Need to do this again!
I would be glad to do it again if there is enough interest. This is a grueling ride unless we make it longer than 5 days. 340 or so miles a day through those mountains requires11 to 12 hours per day with a group. When we did the first one, it was like a mission. A fun mission, but a mission none the less.

Bill

Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I would be glad to do it again if there is enough interest. This is a grueling ride unless we make it longer than 5 days. 340 or so miles a day through those mountains requires11 to 12 hours per day with a group. When we did the first one, it was like a mission. A fun mission, but a mission none the less.

Bill
Agreed!!! It was an epic ride but parts of which I wouldn't want to repeat in one day. Anything over 250 miles/day is a long day in the mountains.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:10 PM
fespin1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ouray to Durango

This is the best riding pass in Colorado, 52 miles with 169 turns and over 11,000 at the summit. I have ridden it since my twenties, but now I live in Seattle. Got to make the ride last summer again with a ride from Seattle to NM and back in 6 days. Still an awesome ride.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 PM
ColoradoMike
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't Miss Blue Mesa Hwy 92

We take a guys bike trip every year through the Colorado Rockies, usually take up to a week and put more than 1000 miles on. We never get tired of the roads and scenery!

One road not to miss is Hwy 92 at the bottom end of Blue Mesa Resv near Gunnnison. The road twists and turns up the side of the Blue Mesa and then on top goes over to a little town named Crawford.

We time it so we can camp at Crawford state park which is a great little place at about 6600 ft. and always seems to have open campsites. Being so far away from any large towns you can clearly see the milky way and a sky full of stars at night.

Note that you'll want to get supplies in Gunnison before you go, or set-up camp and then ride to Hotchkiss about 13 miles away to get supplies as Crawford doesn't have any stores.

The next day we ride into Hotchkiss for breakfast and then hit Hwy 133 through Paonia state park, then through Redstone to Carbondale near Aspen where we stop for a bit before riding Independence pass.

Great ride among many others in the state!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoMike

One road not to miss is Hwy 92 at the bottom end of Blue Mesa Resv near Gunnnison. The road twists and turns up the side of the Blue Mesa and then on top goes over to a little town named Crawford.
We have a forum ride that will be along this route among others starting Monday.

There's a place in Cawford called the Mad Dog Cafe or something like that. Has a great fountain with malts, shakes, sundaes, etc, as well as some pretty good burgers.

Bill

Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Wardenbf
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The wife and I just rode the million dollar highway last weekend. Trees are in bloom and the winter sand is pretty much cleared from the road. We went from Grand Junction to Pagosa Springs and other than getting snowed on going over Molas Pass on Friday, it was a nice ride. Coming back on Sunday it was bright and sunny. It could have stood to be about 10 degrees warmer (it was somewhere around 50-55 degrees), otherwise it was a perfect day for the passes. Before the summer crowds start or after they're done are the best times to ride 550.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:07 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I think I still have a couple of the maps that we made up for the ride. PM me an address and I will get one to you.

Bill
Packet of Maps and additional material arrived in yesterday's mail. You, sir, are an absolute gentleman. Thank you so much.

Quick Reply: Riding Colorado's Mountain Passes