Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Blue Ridge question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 AM
jhleek
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Ridge question

We are riding the Blue Ridge in late June and I am wondering if I can get away with not making motel reservations ahead. We will be riding weekdays. I would love the flexability to just quit when we want.
TIA
Joe

Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 AM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

Rooms shouldn't be hard to find in the Asheville or Boone/Jefferson areas of NC. Can't speak to the VA portion, though.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

My wife and I have been taking a 7-10 day road trip vacation every August for years.
We never make reservations and have never had a problem getting a room.
When you have no specific place to be and no special time to be there, making reservations really puts a lot of stress on an otherwise relaxing vacation and ride.
I'm not familiar with the specific area, but again in my many years of riding, I have never not been able to find a place to sleep, and there's no stress of having to be at a certain place at a certain time

Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I have been touring that area in early June the last three years. I never make reservations and always find a room when I am ready to quit for the day.

Sometimes I do pay more than I think I should, but it always works out. It helps to have a map that has the BRP marked on it. Many times you will be much closer to a town with rooms and restraunts than you realize without a map for reference.

I have a harder time finding a cold beer at the end of the day in that area than a room to sleep in.

Dennis

Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As a Skyline Drive/BRP local I can tell you not to worry. Lots of rooms available.

Do you want cheap? Try the Country View Inn in Fancy Gap, VA.($32.) and Applecover Inn in Maggie Valley.($35.)

Want to spend more? Use the Park Service motels on the BRP (call ahead) or Little Switzerland $$

Want to spend alot more? Stay in Blowing Rock.$$$

Old 04-20-2012, 05:29 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was up there last year. Had reservations made at all the motels (split nights with camping in state parks). Everyplace I stopped weren't anywhere close to being full. You should be fine.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:58 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

For a kind of upscale change, try the Blue Boar Inn on the Cherohala skyway. Great little place and excellent dining. We don't usually stay in places like that, but the wife really did like it for a night, kind of a change of pace from the motels. Plus the Cherohala skyway is a great ride.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:04 AM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

Another vote on no reservations. Start looking for rooms a little earlier in touristy areas, we also stop or try around 5pm. Cages will drive a little longer before they start looking for rooms. Lots of people travel that way. Mark some exits on BRP some exits may have towns right there, others you may travel 30 miles.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:01 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,268 Likes on 1,846 Posts

We try to do the Skyline Drive that starts in Front Royal, VA and runs 105 miles (35MPH) down to Front Royal, VA where the BRP begins.
This is a toll road).

The BRP is approximately 469 miles long (45MPH).

Speed and drive times on both of there roads depend on weather and road conditions.

As far as I kow there is only 4 places that offer lodging on the Parkway.

MM 86- Peaks of Otter.
MM 169-Rock ****.
MM 241-Doughton Park.
MM 408-Mount Pisgah.

FYI-We've stayed in the Bluff's Lodge at Doughton Park and it's quaint (no phone or TV in room) but the have a huge patio for socializing and a restaurant/gift shop down the hill right on the Parkway but I would recommend reservations just in case.

For more lodging you will to exit the Parkway and go down to one of the towns

Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM
PowerDude
Cruiser

Wife and I stayed at Peaks of Otter a couple of years ago. Room was basic, but the place was awesome! Great Friday night buffet too.

Quick Reply: Blue Ridge question