Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning a trip up Michigan's west coast...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 AM
My401k
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Planning a trip up Michigan's west coast...

Wife and I are starting to plan a 5-6 day ride for this summer along the west coast of Michigan and into the UP. We will be leaving from the Warren, MI area and will be heading west towards Grand Rapids/Holland and then heading north. Would like to get at least as far as Tahquamenon Falls and maybe beyond if time permits.

Looking for a scenic route with plenty of stops. Wife has always wanted to see the lighthouses so two, maybe three would probably suffice. Tunnel of Tree's and Leggs Inn are also on the must-see list and of course the falls. Not into camping.

What other stops should we be considering?

Last edited by My401k; 04-19-2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: minor corrections.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

Let me know how it goes! I go to Michigan every summer and always wanted to do that trip. We always end up north and by the island! I still wish that Harley shop by the bridge was bigger and had bikes not just cloths! Seems like a good spot to have a shop!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:08 AM
jhleek
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

119 north out of Petoskey is a must. (tunnel of trees)

Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 AM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm gonna come at this from a different direction, but similar results. Live in Iowa. we work our way over to Green Bay and then go north out of green bay up to St Ste Marie On.
From there we go south over the Mackinac Bridge. We bend over towards Traverse City and then take 31 south to Muskegon. Then take the ferry over to Milwaukee and then back home.
If you've never gone over the M bridge on a motorcycle, you have to do it. Also, there are a ton of deer up north and they are brazen. They are out during the day walking around on I75 and elsewhere. so be careful.
Good luck

Old 04-19-2012, 08:25 AM
johnny b
Cruiser

Youa re on the right track Stay in Traverse City one night nice ride on a point into the lake for a lighthouse. From Taquamenon Falls I'd run the south shore of Lake Superior along Pictured Rocks Lakeshore and as been said before watch out for deer
ride safe

Old 04-19-2012, 09:48 AM
bsr8wtrod
Intermediate

Google UP Crusing. They have good information for riding in the UP. You can also pick up their free book they publish at the Welcome Center on the UP side of the bridge. Also don't miss M22 from Manistee to Leelanau.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 AM
gsimerma@amfam.com
Advanced

Hug the coast as close as you can. There are a lot of awesome wineries that are marked by state road side signs along the way. Tunnel of Trees Road is awesome and Leggs Inn will supprise you.

Last edited by gsimerma@amfam.com; 04-19-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Haywired
Road Master

http://www.upcruising.com/

From Mackinaw City I would head for White fish Point and stop at the Iriquois lihghthouse on the way. Iriquois is renovated and open to the public and a classic. Taquamenon falls and then head west to Grand Marais, take H58 over to Munising, take M28 though Marquette to 41 and run 41 up to Copper Harbor. From there take M-26 along the lake back down to Houghton and you can take 41 down to Lake Michigan and run the top of the lake back over to Mackinaw city. Just a suggestion but some of our favorite spots. Enjoy!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:16 AM
My401k
Cruiser
Thumbs up

My daughter just moved to Grand Rapids, so that's our first stop. Need idea's for the run between Holland and Traverse City.

We have a full day to explore Traverse City/Petosky and any suggestions while in that area would be great. The lighthouse on the point and of course Tunnel of tree's and Legs Inn.

I'll check out the UPcruising site for scenic routes in that area.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:18 AM
My401k
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Haywired
http://www.upcruising.com/

From Mackinaw City I would head for White fish Point and stop at the Iriquois lihghthouse on the way. Iriquois is renovated and open to the public and a classic. Taquamenon falls and then head west to Grand Marais, take H58 over to Munising, take M28 though Marquette to 41 and run 41 up to Copper Harbor. From there take M-26 along the lake back down to Houghton and you can take 41 down to Lake Michigan and run the top of the lake back over to Mackinaw city. Just a suggestion but some of our favorite spots. Enjoy!
Thanks for this info. Approximately how long of a run is this?

Quick Reply: Planning a trip up Michigan's west coast...