Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning a trip up Michigan's west coast...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by My401k
Thanks for this info. Approximately how long of a run is this?
about 750 miles

Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

And you can legally do it without a helmet now if you prefer?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:15 PM
My401k
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
And you can legally do it without a helmet now if you prefer?
Yes we can!
Not planning on it, but I love having the choice

Old 04-20-2012, 07:25 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

as far as lighthouses try Grand Haven State Park, I'd run US31 north to Manistee then jump on M22 north from there. There's a bunch of lighthouses along the way, just remember most are not on paved roads although many of them in the state parks are. Get the annual pass at the first state park gate, you'll use it alot on this trip.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My401k
Thanks for this info. Approximately how long of a run is this?
From Mackinaw City up you can fill four days of riding. There is so much to see. I would think you could make Grand Marais and spend some time there. The beach there is awesome and there are huge sand dunes to the west of town. In between Grand Marais and Munising is H58 is the newest road in the area and should be a must ride route to Munising.

Going up into Copper Harbor from Munising to Maquette and later through L'Anse is nice riding along the lake. While you are at Copper Harbor a trip up on Brockway Mountain. There's a lighthouse tour you can take up there. Heading south I would take M26 along the lake and stop at the Jam Pot for some goodies. There are some nice turnouts along there before Eagle Harbor. From up there take 41 to 141 down to US 2 and head east back to Mackinaw City.

Another option would be to ride down the Wisconsin side to Manitowoc and ride the Badger back across to Ludington.

If you find yourself with some extra time a ride from Houghton-Hancock over towards the Porcupine Mountains and Lake of the clouds is nice.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Pick up a copy of the June 2012 RoadRUNNER it has a great write up about "Riding round the Mitten"

Old 04-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by 60mike06FLHX
Pick up a copy of the June 2012 RoadRUNNER it has a great write up about "Riding round the Mitten"
subscribed & mappng...

http://www.roadrunner.travel/magazin...e-2012/page/50

Old 04-21-2012, 04:14 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,327 Likes on 1,867 Posts

Originally Posted by Haywired
From Mackinaw City up you can fill four days of riding. There is so much to see. I would think you could make Grand Marais and spend some time there. The beach there is awesome and there are huge sand dunes to the west of town. In between Grand Marais and Munising is H58 is the newest road in the area and should be a must ride route to Munising.

Going up into Copper Harbor from Munising to Maquette and later through L'Anse is nice riding along the lake. While you are at Copper Harbor a trip up on Brockway Mountain. There's a lighthouse tour you can take up there. Heading south I would take M26 along the lake and stop at the Jam Pot for some goodies. There are some nice turnouts along there before Eagle Harbor. From up there take 41 to 141 down to US 2 and head east back to Mackinaw City.

Another option would be to ride down the Wisconsin side to Manitowoc and ride the Badger back across to Ludington.

If you find yourself with some extra time a ride from Houghton-Hancock over towards the Porcupine Mountains and Lake of the clouds is nice.
These are some of my snowmobile haunts.

On two car club trips we did the "west coast" tour and then the "UP" tour.

If y'all find yourselves near Rockland (Rt 45 west of Rt 26) stop in a Henry's Place fro one of the best burgers in the UP. This place has a real history and just down the street (at the old bank) is IceCream

Old 04-21-2012, 04:27 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

this has suggested motorcycle roads throughout the USA. click on the state.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Dawger
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride

After the tunnel of trees, definitely plan to stop at Legs Inn in Cross Village for some perogies!

Quick Reply: Planning a trip up Michigan's west coast...