Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

New Orleans restaurants?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012 | 03:29 PM
gsimerma@amfam.com
|
Advanced
Default New Orleans restaurants?

The wife and I are riding down to New Orleans in a month or so for a couple of days. Never been there but always wanted to go. Staying at the French Qtr. One thing I am looking forward to is the Cajun Food, Oysters and Crawfish. Going to the Acme Oyster House but from there I'm not sure. Been reading up on it but there are soooo many choices. So I figured I'd pick your brains. Where should we go for some good eats?

Old 04-18-2012 | 03:51 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain

+1 on Acme Oyster House.. The Gumbo Shop 630 St.Peter, Cafe Du Monde Coffe house of course on Decatur and there is a small open air restaurant at the corner of Chartres and St. Peter at Jackson Square that i dont know the name of but has one of the best po-boy of any kind..also K-Pauls on Chartres.. will need reservations and last time we were there we sort of was the odd man out in our bike riding clothes( jeans, boots,and bike oriented t's) will need plastic cups to walk around N.O. with drinks.. check with restaurant about open container..

Last edited by RutRoo; 04-18-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2012 | 03:57 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Mr. B's Bistro, Dickie Brennan's Steak House, or Palace Cafe ... all three are great Brennan family restaurants ... K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen (if it is still open and run by Paul Prudhomme) ... NOLAs (operated by Emeril Lagasse) or the original Emeril's in the warehouse district ... Redfish Grill is another good one ...

... but, you should be able to find some great food almost anywhere ...

Old 04-18-2012 | 04:32 PM
TCooper4653
Road Captain

+1 on Redfish, -1 on Cafe Du Monde was mess when I was there last November but it's an icon. I also recommend Mulate's if you want to do a touristy Cajun thang!
I'll be back in Nawlins next week, I'll add any thoughts when I get back.

Old 04-18-2012 | 08:35 PM
Lucky_one2
Tourer

Commanders Palace...

Old 04-18-2012 | 09:36 PM
Wadcutter
Tourer

Forget Cafe Du Monde for beignets. Overrated, too crowded, always a line. Sometimes the wait in line can be over an hour. Go to Cafe Beignet at Legends Park on Bourbon St. There is usually no line, the beignets are bigger and we like their taste a lot better than Cafe Du Monde beignets. Also while at Cafe Beignet get their carrot cake. You'd almost move to NOLA just to be closer to their carrot cake.
It's hard to find bad food in the FQ. When we were there this past December Landry's was the worst we've had. It wasn't bad but it sure wasn't up to Landry's or FQ standard.
For good quick cheap food Mother's is a usual stop for a Ferdi Special with debris.
We've never been disappointed with the food a Deanies.
Visit Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop for a zombie.

Old 04-19-2012 | 07:50 AM
TCooper4653
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Wadcutter
Forget Cafe Du Monde for beignets. Overrated, too crowded, always a line. Go to Cafe Beignet at Legends Park on Bourbon St. There is usually no line, the beignets are bigger and we like their taste a lot better than Cafe Du Monde beignets.
+1 on Cafe Beignet, my last couple of times Cafe Du Monde wasn't terribly busy but service was bad and the beignets were mediocre.

Old 04-19-2012 | 11:01 AM
gsimerma@amfam.com
|
Advanced

Looks like we may have to stay an extra day - or two. Then push the bike back to Missouri to loose all the extra pounds we gained while there.

Old 04-19-2012 | 12:24 PM
rodehard
Intermediate

Tujague’s on Decatur St. Six course dinner, featured items change daily.

Old 04-20-2012 | 10:49 AM
Swampdoc
Advanced

Parasol's at the corner of Constance and Third Street. Total dive, awesome sandwich type food. Really good beef sandwiches.

Quick Reply: New Orleans restaurants?