Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:20 AM
NHSPMCU
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MYSTERY MOUNTAIN C.G. RESORT in Rapid City. Great location, owner rides and takes very good care of his patrons. The location is close to everything. Heading back again this year. Ya, bring the gear...better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. You can run into just about anything out there during that time of year. Check out the hail storms there on Y-tube, man they do some damage. Good luck, you'll have an incredible time.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,908 Likes on 18,968 Posts

Yep Shade Valley http://shadevalley.com is a real nice place to Camp ... great people too, However, I hope you know that is NOTHING going on in early July ... Sturgis is just a little bitty ghost town for most of the year, that is until Bike Week .... However the scenery is still great and the roads/rides are excellent. Have a safe trip Brother!
P.S. I've taken the US Badger across Lake Michigan but haven't taken the ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee ... it's supposed to be a lot quicker, and more expensive too!

Last edited by Uncle Larry; 03-25-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:31 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EDS... will eventually take the Sturgis ride, did Cabot trail last year... watch this video clip.. it'll scare u a little....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5VSk2WjScQ

Old 03-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Edster 69
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input fellas!! Papi that's some crazy **** storm of hail mother f'n Mary!!!!! We specifically chose to ride not during bike week as we prefer less crowds and more peace and quiet! Cheers!

Old 03-25-2012, 05:31 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edster 69
Thanks for all the input fellas!! Papi that's some crazy **** storm of hail mother f'n Mary!!!!! We specifically chose to ride not during bike week as we prefer less crowds and more peace and quiet! Cheers!
thats my plan too when day arises, doubt it will be this year though.....im looking at early june 2014, hear little chance of hail early june...

Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 PM
2011_Glide
Cruiser

Not sure of this time of year, but I stay at Glencoe. Just outside of Sturgis and about 2 blocks away from Full Throttle (Full Throttle won't be open at that time of year though). It costs $125 per person during the ralley. Good times....Not sure if they are open during July, but here is the info on that.

http://www.glencoecamp.com/

Shane

Old 03-25-2012, 10:41 PM
2011_Glide
Cruiser

Made a mistake...

$150 per person.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 AM
TheDeluxe
Novice
Default Camping and Rides

I stayed at the Rapid City KOA for Sturgis 2011. They had pancake breakfast every morning with eggs and sausage/bacon for 5 bucks. Showers, electric, laundry, check it out.

If you need a map...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...gis-rides.html

Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by NoDeal
Jg is right about sturgus weather. One year we went it never broke 65, most the day in the 40's. Another year never below 80. It always storms for at least a short time, often with hail. I've been six times and there always seems to be a day of extreme weather, but most the time (but for the cold year) it has been sunny and comfortable (75F+)
Like they've said "the weather can be extreme" but I've hit more nice weather than bad. 11 trips to the rally and haven't been hailed on yet. It did hit 105 degrees going across South Dakota once. Don't forget the sunscreen.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All kinds of weather

I'm just outside Toronto and will be making that trip at some point in the future too - just not this year.

I would probably look into a Good Sam membership. It's like CAA but half the price, and includes the US, Canada and Mexico. No limits on the amount of times you use it per year, and they also give a camping discount and have maps across the US of camp sites and camp site ratings.

I would get my Blue Cross/Blue Shield and travellers insurance set up before going. You don't want to be sick or injured in the U.S. - it can cost you your house/life-savings etc. Bring any medication with you - you won't be getting it cheap down there either.

I lived in Wisconsin as a Canadian for a number of years. Probably one of the most beautiful places I've ever driven in. It will be a fantastic trip. I wish I were going.

Quick Reply: Sturgis