Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

How do the Bison in Yellowstone act toward us on bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:40 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How do the Bison in Yellowstone act toward us on bikes?

Planning our trip out to the west coast and on our return was planning on cutting through yellowstone but I keep watching these youtube videos of herds of Bison in the road - how the heck can that be safe? Makes me want to go around the park instead but I feel I might be missing out. What has been your experience on your bike in the park?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:28 AM
Matty64
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't bother them and they don't bother you, keep you're distance and you will be fine, the wife and I spent a week in Yellowstone and had to stop a couple times for them in the road and did not have a problem.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Matty64
You don't bother them and they don't bother you, keep you're distance and you will be fine, the wife and I spent a week in Yellowstone and had to stop a couple times for them in the road and did not have a problem.
Good answer .. Also hope that some idiot don't mess with them and they take it out on you seen that happen too ..

Old 03-11-2012, 05:34 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Went through last year, everyone stops of course to take photos, and there is usually a Ranger around to keep it organized. They don't bother you if you don't mess with them. You know don't feed the wildlife thing. The real deal is when a Grizzly wanders by, the Grizzes usually stay quit a distance from the road though. Don't miss riding the Beartooth highway.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:50 AM
Auckland
Tourer

Youtube Bison attacks and see what they will do to motorcycles and cars.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't let the very rare confrontation stories keep you from visiting the Yellowstone area. The beauty and wonder of the area cannot possibly be captured in pictures - you absolutely don't want to miss it. The road from Cody, Wyoming to the East Gate is among our favorites as well as the Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Pass.

Your biggest danger in Yellowstone is from cars, not wildlife.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Last time we were there, we were stopped in a road on the way to some of the geysers. A buff came right down the middle of the road toward us at a fast trot. He glanced at us as he went by, but never even slowed his pace. Except for very rare occasions, wild animals will not bother people if people do not bother them.

Bill

Old 03-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Just be careful. Ever seen that commercial with the gazelle knocking the guy off his bicycle?!!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Streetin
Cruiser

Had a great experience in Yellowstone last summer. Had to stop twice for bison in the road. The first time we had to stop, one little fellow walked straight at me. I thought he was going to head butt my bike. He swerved a little and walked right beside me. I could mess his breathe but he never bothered me. The second time we had to stop was when two bison were just crossing the road. They crossed as if we weren't even there.

I second the suggestion on Beartoothe. We did the Big Horns too.

Attached Thumbnails How do the Bison in Yellowstone act toward us on bikes?-day-6-buffalo-walked-right-past-up-on-road.jpg  

Last edited by Streetin; 03-11-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Pictured added
Old 03-11-2012, 12:12 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I can't comment on Yellowstone as I've never ridden through it, only driven through it several times. I did encounter Bison in Custer State Park, including a big fellow standing in the middle of the road near the State Game Lodge. Just give them space and don't mess with them and you'll be okay.

Quick Reply: How do the Bison in Yellowstone act toward us on bikes?