Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

How do the Bison in Yellowstone act toward us on bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:05 PM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep your cool...
They will come up to you..
It's pretty intiminating when one walks over to you, bike was off (1/2 hr)
because they were just standing around blocking the road
There heads are about half the size of my bike..

Old 03-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Matty64
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
Don't let the very rare confrontation stories keep you from visiting the Yellowstone area. The beauty and wonder of the area cannot possibly be captured in pictures - you absolutely don't want to miss it. The road from Cody, Wyoming to the East Gate is among our favorites as well as the Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Pass.

Your biggest danger in Yellowstone is from cars, not wildlife.

Amen to that, the humans not paying attention are your biggest obstacle.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Matty64
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Good answer .. Also hope that some idiot don't mess with them and they take it out on you seen that happen too ..
The first time the wife and I were in Yellowstone was 1982 and we were watching a mama moose and her calf from a distance when 3 other bikers decided to get closer, one guy tried to pet the calf and mama had none of that , she took off after him and he tried to swing around the tree and mama nailed his hand with a head butt, later that night when we were in camp we heard some bikes coming down the road and it was the 3 guys from earlier in the day they stopped and asked to share our camp as it was full and started to tell us about their buddys hand which looked like a inflated purple glove, we just laughed and said we saw the whole thing. the next morning they were trying to figure out how they were going to get back to Corpus Christi with their one handed friend.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:03 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I heard they hardly even notice you are there, unless you are whistling "Home on the Range" while riding by. They hate that song!

Old 03-11-2012, 06:46 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
I heard they hardly even notice you are there, unless you are whistling "Home on the Range" while riding by. They hate that song!
Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are.

Bill

Old 03-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Rsnyder
Novice

Was there several years ago got stuck in the middle of the herd as the cars were parked blocking the road taking pictures. They came up to check us out but no problems. What a rush looking eye ball to eye ball throughout the windshield a at big bull.

The following day we were stopped by the herd blocking the road but we were ahead of the cars this time. I was idling up on one and he started to move out of the way so we continued to idle through them, but when the cars started to move they all closed up the hole that was made to let us through.

It was so cool it was like the parting of the brown sea. Wish I had a video camera to capture it. It was actually the high point of the trip through the park!

Old 03-11-2012, 10:22 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Bison are cool with bikes.
They taste good too.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

In the National Park near my home we are frequently stopped by herds of buffalo. Never had a problem. The picture is of my wife. We had stoppped and the buffalo just walked right up to us.

Attached Thumbnails How do the Bison in Yellowstone act toward us on bikes?-img00222-20100925-1739.jpg  
Old 03-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts

They pretty much ignore you but they are about the size of a Volkswagon and about as fast. Don't provoke them and stay back a little ways and you'll be fine.

Attached Thumbnails How do the Bison in Yellowstone act toward us on bikes?-4-12-11-100.jpg  
Old 03-11-2012, 11:01 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just don't go during the rut (breeding season). A bike might look mighty fine to a love struck Bison.

Quick Reply: How do the Bison in Yellowstone act toward us on bikes?