Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Lake Superior Circle Tour Do's & Don'ts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:05 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Lake Superior Circle Tour Do's & Don'ts?

Going August 22nd. We know the MN and MI part but mainly looking for info on the north shore of Lake Superior. I have sent away for tourist and travel info, and did extensive reading on line, but a good first hand experience from another rider is always best. I put this in the Road Trips section then realized that is where ya put stuff after the trip to tell people about your trip. We have helmets and passports and there will be 4 to 6 bikes all solo. Any info is much appreciated.
Kris

Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

the Mrs. and I did this a few years back although on 4 wheels, we camped at Lake Superior Provicial Park near Wawa and at Sleeping Giant PP near Thunder Bay

both are excellent parks/campgrounds and very scenic, heck, all of the trip on the north shore was scenic

we were surprised that it stayed light so late at night, we didn't think of it as that far north but IIRC I was reading outside until after 10:30 at night without any lights

if you go to Sleeping Giant, please look for the wife's prescription sunglasses that she lost on a hike LOL, it still messes her up that she lost those

Old 03-01-2012, 01:25 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

Border- make sure the record is clear, even a DUI ( or parking tickets) can stop a crossing.

The US started it, Canada is reciprocating, and newly computerized records track offenses back to the dawn of time- even if you have prior crossing, be prepared.

Have a clear idea of where you are going, short, concise answers get you through faster

No Guns, weapon type knives or pot

Loud pipes can get you stopped, no club vests, no red and white support gear, a 'real' DOT helmet, just be mellow

Cross as individuals NOT as a group.

Just plan to meet up the road at a gas station.

that way if someone gets stopped, the rest won't have their stuff dug through- and the whole thing will be speedier.

rabies cert if you take your dog

verizon and sprint phones will likely not work, tmo and att, get the intl plan for better rates. turn off data roaming on smart phones, or the phone bill will cost more than your trip.

free internet at most mcdonalds and starbucks, some tim hortons ( coffee shop)- I use my ipod touch and skype to make my calls home- I also use a googe voice number so that my voice mails to my cell phone and transcribed and emailed to me ( free)

the Northern route is awesome- build in TIME for storm delays- storms come off Superior from the SW fast and hard.
so check the weather and have an extra day planned in case you have to wait it out- it's the high winds that take the fun away.

Ride West to East, so you are on the lakeside of the road

moose- usually evening and early morning- September is the rutt and they go mad- so be careful- I saw one take a run at a locomotive in 1974.

It'd be smart to wrap up the riding by 6 pm

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-01-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Default Thanks

Man this place is AWESOME!! 20 minutes and i already know more than I learned the past few evening on the couch with the laptop. Thanks again guys. Again any little bit of info is greatly appreciated
Kris

Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

km conversions approx

50 kms= 31 mph

60 kms 37 mph

70 kms 43 mph

80 kms= 49 mph

90 km= 55 mpg

100 kms = 62 mph

110 = 69 mph

120 = 75 mph

border pt 2:

if turned away DO NOT attempt at another crossing

if this is thought to be a potential, make a plan B for the UP or the Dakotas

Mike

Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 PM
scottmotorsports
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought this info might help...

http://upcruising.com/main.htm

Old 03-01-2012, 02:03 PM
scottmotorsports
Advanced

Thought this info might help...

http://upcruising.com/main.htm

Old 03-01-2012, 02:08 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Default Speedo?

Do our baggers have both KPH and MPH? Mine is an 08 with white or silver faced gauges.

Originally Posted by mkguitar
km conversions approx

50 kms= 31 mph

60 kms 37 mph

70 kms 43 mph

80 kms= 49 mph

90 km= 55 mpg

100 kms = 62 mph

110 = 69 mph

120 = 75 mph

border pt 2:

if turned away DO NOT attempt at another crossing

if this is thought to be a potential, make a plan B for the UP or the Dakotas

Mike

Old 03-01-2012, 02:13 PM
robvg
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

That stretch of road (Hwy 17) is part of the Trans Canada Hwy and sees a fair bit of heavy truck traffic. Since it is also quite hilly, these trucks tend to fly down the hills in order to keep their speed when climbing again. It can be a bit unnerving to see them climbing up your backside so it's probably a good idea to give them some leeway.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:47 PM
hoginhogger
Novice

Just a heads up on fuel stops on the north shore not a lot of them and they close early.There are some remote stretches with all bush.The wawa area is known for it's moose population,avoid at night.The leaves will be turning ,making for awesome photo ops.You'll be suprised at the difference between the south and north shore,the north shore being much more rugged.Check out quimet canyon in the dorion area 50 min east of Thunder Bay has a cool suspension bridge over the canyon,short ride in.In ontario,on the highway we get away with 10 kmph over the speed limit with out any reprecussions from leo's ENLOY!

Quick Reply: Lake Superior Circle Tour Do's & Don'ts?