Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Lake Superior Circle Tour Do's & Don'ts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:10 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Thanks

Again fellas, thanks for the info. Let us know how the trips go and ride safe.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know you said you had the MI part down, but just in case:

If you're going through the UP:

From the Sault going West, take the Mackinac Trail South to 6 mile rd and turn right--it'll take you through Brimley and put you on Lakeshore drive--follows the lake past Iriquois Point lighthouse and many places to turn off and dip your toes in the lake, all the way up to Whitefish point past Paradise if you want to go that far.

From Paradise, follow the signs to Taquahmenon Falls, the road goes past the falls all the way back down to US 28 at Newberry. The falls are a great place to see and camp--not to mention the microbrewery Camp 33 at the Upper Falls--good food, draught rootbeer and of course the microbrews.

Heading further West on US 28, take a little side trip North at Seney on 77 (wasn't the greatest of roads, but doable) to Grand Marais, then follow the shoreline through Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore to Munising MI. Lots of places where you can see parts of the Pictured Rocks, including Miner's Castle

Up the Keeweenaw Peninsula, take a ride up Brockway Mountain Drive (turnoff is up by Copper Harbor). Nice ride up and down, and you can see a long way out into Superior on a clear day (both sides of the peninsula). Camping up that way--I'd recommend Baraga State Park before you go up the peninsula: Camp there and use it as a base, ride up the Keeweenaw as a day trip, or go up to Calumet/Laurium (where Michigan Tech is) and stay in a hotel and use that as a base.

If you've stopped in Baraga State Park, go to the Hilltop Restaurant in L'Anse for one of their cinnamon rolls and take the leftover cinnamon roll back to camp for breakfast the following day.

That'll get you a little way around.

Cheers.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Default Thank you

Thanks Mike, all great info. Some we have done and some we have not. I always also try to make the thread title fitting so other may use it in the future and you sir, have nailed it on some of the beautiful places in the U.P. for sure!!! I am looking forward to one of those cinamon roles on the way home, that is for sure. Thanks again and ride safe!!
Kris

Old 06-24-2012, 05:36 PM
bigmick23
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread!!! I am taking this trip next weekend!! A lot of great onfo has been posted. If any surprises come up or I get any pointers I will let you know!

Old 06-24-2012, 09:17 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigmick23
Great thread!!! I am taking this trip next weekend!! A lot of great onfo has been posted. If any surprises come up or I get any pointers I will let you know!
Thank you and please do keep me posted. Enjoy your trip!!
Kris

Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Well, it looks like there will only be two of us do the trip next month.

We're going counter-clockwise and our first night will be in Wawa at the Inn. I've been told that the restaurant is under new management and the food has greatly improved.
The last time I was there is was 24 below zero (F)!!!!!

I've snowmobiled in Ontario but this will be my first trek around THE Lake.

I'll check in once we return and give any important info.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member

I also just had the 2 guys that were questionable fall out of the ride, I guess a once in a lifetime trip to Gutamala with your daughter will always, or should always over rule a bike trip with the guys. So we still have 5 going. Please do keep me, or us posted. I hope someday that others will search this and find some usefull info.
Kris

Old 06-26-2012, 04:44 PM
JDeere
2nd Gear

My wife & I did that trip several years ago. we weren't in any hurry. we did not have any trouble crossing the border at pigeon river or st. saint marie. we did not have any tobacco or booze with us. bought what we wanted in thunder bay. we went west to east. stayed in thunder bay, white river & st saint marie, ont. would advise to get gas when you can even if you don't need it. on 17 the ditches are mowed back so you can see wildlife except where the road cuts through rocks. conversion from km to miles is .62

Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by JDeere
My wife & I did that trip several years ago. we weren't in any hurry. we did not have any trouble crossing the border at pigeon river or st. saint marie. we did not have any tobacco or booze with us. bought what we wanted in thunder bay. we went west to east. stayed in thunder bay, white river & st saint marie, ont. would advise to get gas when you can even if you don't need it. on 17 the ditches are mowed back so you can see wildlife except where the road cuts through rocks. conversion from km to miles is .62
Good thinking. I was thinking about bringing a few cigars with, but will use your tip and get a few in Thunder Bay. Thanks for the input, always appreciated
Kris

Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Evansdad
6th Gear

Just got back from the circle tour this past Friday. My dad and I went counter-clockwise.
Going east in Michigan there is a town called Wakefield where 2 and 28 split. Take county 519 north towards porcupine mtns park. This road has construction- just watch for cones marking dug up spots. Take this all the way to South Boundary Rd- east is only way and it's worth the hassle of getting to it. Once you get to the end, turn right and get gouged on the price of gas in Ontanagon.
We stayed at a super 8 in Houghton the first night. Next morning we rode to copper harbor taking random roads along the way. 41 does not continue after copper harbor despite what the map shows! You can however take 41 south
Take this to lac la belle rd- left turn. This will take you to a fork in the road. Stay right and go to the town of Gay Michigan and grab a bite at the Gay Bar- make sure you get a picture in front of the sign!
Next stop was Munising Mi RV park and campground. Great tent sites right on the lake. There were no bugs at all- the rest of the trip wasn't that bug free. Grab breakfast at Dogpatch in town. Great food and the waitress made us eat our oranges.
Someone else mentioned the scenic roads out there. Grand Marais is a neat little town. County 58 does not continue going east despite the map showing it there.
The crossing to Canada was painless. The line going back to the US was backed up quite a ways. GET GAS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE SAULT! No gas until Wawa. There I warned you all. I found out that my bike will still go at least 28 miles once LO RNG is displayed.
Wawa RV Campground is past the turn off from town. Not a bad spot.
Wawa to Nipigon we only really made on scenic stop. Just before Rossport there is a Lakeshore Rd or Drive. It's a dirt road but takes you toa neat little beach with nice view.
Stillwater RV park was our spot that night. Owner was super hospitable. Brought fire wood to the camp site for us, found a bucket and ice to chill our beers, and checked on us before he turned in for the night and again in the am.
Nipigon to Duluth we just powered through. Ran into a group of 11 riders in two harbors that we saw at the Wawa campground and in Nipigon too. They said they were pushing through to thunder bay. Fatigue got one of them ( I assume) he went down at low speed but broke his collarbone. Pace yourself and enjoy the scenery. It's a great trip!!

Last edited by Evansdad; 07-01-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Lake Superior Circle Tour Do's & Don'ts?