Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Lake Superior Circle Tour Do's & Don'ts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some like going around clockwise because when you see a spot along the lake you want to stop at you can just pull off to the right instead of turning left and crossing traffic every time. Most interesting areas are on the lake side.

Things to see,

The pictographs at the Lake Superior Provincial Park, the hike down is as interesting at the rocks themselves.
Split Rock Light
Kakabeka Falls, a few miles north of Thunder Bay but worth it.

At one point they were talking about yellow insurance cards to show international coverage. Check with your agent to ensure you are covered up there.

When you hand your passport to the border guard, have it open to the page with your information and picture on it. The times I've crossed the agents seemed to appreciate that instead of having to thumb through your book.

Have a great ride, there's some beautiful country to see up there.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:46 PM
mcso
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive done it many times. Pay attention to weather predictions and go south or north based on that. We normally stay in wawa at motor inn. Big goose statue out front. Have little cabins in addition to hotel, bar,restaurant. From there we stay just north of thunder bay at little mom and pop place. We never had issues w gas lr traffic. You will love the north shore. Stop and see suspension bridge and water falls.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Thanks

Thank you guys, all this info is great.
Kris

Old 05-15-2012, 11:31 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Thank you guys, all this info is great.
Kris
Any and all info anyone has to share is greatly appreciated.
Kris

Old 05-15-2012, 02:56 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,255 Likes on 1,839 Posts

A few of us are going up in July.

Does anyone have motel suggestions?

We'll probably spend the first night on the U.S. side so we'll probably do two nights in Canada before returning to Michigan.

BTW, I've crossed the U.S./Canadian border many times (and many provinces). When I pull up to the window, I shut my engine/radio and listen carefully to their questions.

Never lie or be deceptive, it ain't worth it.

A friend of mine got "cute" with them about his criminal historyand it wasn't a pleasant experience for him, mainly because he had property up there and had to obtain a "minister's permit" to go visit his own propert

Old 05-15-2012, 04:24 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member

We are staying in Thunder Bay the first night and Wawa the next night. I am Still doing Homework on TB but have narrowed down Wa to either The great northern it has hotel and cottages, bar, restaraunt all at the same place or in town is the Lakeview hotel and it has Motorcycle safe parking/lock up and you can walk to bars/restaraunts in town.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:55 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Default Ttt

Running this one back up and hope to get a little more input. Thinking now we might stay another night in Canada someplace, maybe between Thunder Bay and Wawa smeplace? Might venture north a little because TB to Wawa is an easy ride if you don't want to stop off or take pics or see the sights, but we will be in relax mode and want to not rush it at all. So again any and all input is much appreciated.
Kris

Old 06-01-2012, 11:48 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey BlackPearl, I'm travelling through ontario this summer towards the east. I have 3 options for highways. The one you are taking, hwy #17 the Trans Canada. Hwy #11 to the north, or I can skirt around the south side of the lake and short cut through the states.

Going through the states would save me a couple hundred kilometers... but...

As others have said about the border crossings. Canadians reciprocate with the American border laws. I can tell you about me crossing last summer on my way to stugis. I was travelling solo. I have no record, no traffic offenses, I'm a caucasion canadian citizen. No patches, tatoos, face piercing. No club affiliations. Just a clean cut average law abiding citizen. Well, I showed up at the US border and that bitch gave me the third degree like I was just let out of Gutanimo bay. I was interogated, searched, detained for a couple hours. They wanted to know who I was riding with, what club I was with, who I was meeting, what my club business was. The whole time searching on her computer trying to find any scrap of evidence against me. There wasn't anything on me, finally they let me in.

So be aware at the border. I was thinking next time I'd bring a yellow, or light blue nylon wind breaker to wear over my leather jacket. I think the black leather gave them the "bike gang" impression. I don't know the answer.

Just make sure you don't have weapons, no bear spray, or anything like that. A knife is okay as long as you don't have a 10 inch hunting knife in a sheath on your hip.

Just answer "Yes sir", "No sir", give them what they ask for. Don't lie, answer every question as truthfully as you can (they're trained to recognize when a person isn't telling the truth).

Don't look like a biker. I don't know how you can loose that image but it's the killer at the border.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:38 PM
FatBuell
Road Warrior
Received 322 Likes on 183 Posts

My wife and I are actually making this trip in about a week, leaving on 6/11. Leaving from the GB area and heading counter clockwise. Planning to stay in Batchawana Bay the first night, then Terrace Bay, and wherever after that.

Probably won't make it all the way around the lake as we've seen most of the UP by snowmobile at one time or another, but we'll see.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:00 PM
McCheese
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad and I made the trip around Superior a couple years ago. We stayed one night in a little roadside Motel in Nipigon - it was very clean and had an attached restaurant. There is not a lot of accomodations on the north shore ~ WaWa to Nipigon.

A GOOD set or raingear is a must, unless you got extra days to spend in a motel / tent. We travelled the route counter-clockwise, so that we would be heading into / thru most storms while in Canada.

-Apostle Islands Lake Shore in WI is a nice area

-Keewananw Penninsula - Houghton to Copper Harbor (US 41 and M-26 both) is absolutely gorgeous. Keewanaw Mountain Lodge offers affordable cabins to stay in and you can't go wrong with a nice steak while overlooking the Lake at the Harbor House Restaurant in Copper Harbor, MI.

-Pictured Rocks Lake Shore -Munising to Grand Marais, MI is a very new, smooth, windy road.

If you want to pose with the requisite pic in front of the circle tour signs, fair warning - there are not many of them in Canada, but plenty in the U.S..

Enjoy your circle tour.

P.S.: free info and sticker at:
http://www.lakesuperiorcircletour.com/

Quick Reply: Lake Superior Circle Tour Do's & Don'ts?