Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Advise on Grand Canyon trip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 06:58 AM
towerhandjake
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on Grand Canyon trip?

I am planning a trip to the Grand Canyon sometime this Fall. My wife and I were planning on going solo, but we'll see if that sticks or not. We will leaving from south Louisiana.

Can anyone recommend a route that they enjoy? I very well know how to read a map; I would like some input from someone who knows personally some roads/stops that I would be a fool to pass up.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:46 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Don't know what your plans are but Las Cruces north on I-25 till you get to state highway 152 west over to Silver City. This is a really nice ride. From Silver City get on over to Clifton, Az. Then north up US 191 to Eagar. This is an incredible ride. Eagar to Show Low to Globe. Another really scenic ride. From here we went to Apache Junction which has Superstition Mountain Harley dealership, very nice. Get on up to Prescott and hit 89a over to Jerome. Really nice little mining town on side of mountain. Then to Sedona. You must see Sedona at sunset and sunrise if possible. This canyon(Oak Tree, I think) is a must see. Then on north up 89a to Flagstaff. If you stay in Silver City or Sedona, check for room availability. I will add that the must see rides are US 191 and the canyon ride through Sedona.

Last edited by jmorganroadglide; 02-26-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Couple years ago, I had a meeting in Phoenix. Went out a few days early & rented a bike & rode around AZ. After I was at the south rim of the canyon, my hotel reservation was in Sedona. I went over to Flagstaff & into Sedona on 89A. Didn't know what the road was like, but 89A was my mapped-out route. I'd say, don't miss 89A between Flagstaff & Sedona. One of the coolest rides I've ever been on, and 89A was 1 of the highlights of the trip. I'd recommend going south on it from Flagstaff into Sedona, rather than north to Flagstaff from Sedona.

I started out taking 93 from Phoenix up to Kingman, and went to an old wild west-type, old copper mining town called Oatman, on route 66. Very cool. Then went back & stayed overnight in Kingman. Next day, took 40 to Williams & up to the south rim. About halfway back down to Williams, I turned right on 180 & went to Flagstaff. Picked up 17 south for a few miles, and then got onto that 89A down to Sedona.

You won't regret 89A. Try to go south on it, if possible, out of Flagstaff. Other than that, I'm not from out there, so I can't help you any more than this. Hope it helps.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 AM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Couple years ago, I had a meeting in Phoenix. Went out a few days early & rented a bike & rode around AZ. After I was at the south rim of the canyon, my hotel reservation was in Sedona. I went over to Flagstaff & into Sedona on 89A. Didn't know what the road was like, but 89A was my mapped-out route. I'd say, don't miss 89A between Flagstaff & Sedona. One of the coolest rides I've ever been on, and 89A was 1 of the highlights of the trip. I'd recommend going south on it from Flagstaff into Sedona, rather than north to Flagstaff from Sedona.

I started out taking 93 from Phoenix up to Kingman, and went to an old wild west-type, old copper mining town called Oatman, on route 66. Very cool. Then went back & stayed overnight in Kingman. Next day, took 40 to Williams & up to the south rim. About halfway back down to Williams, I turned right on 180 & went to Flagstaff. Picked up 17 south for a few miles, and then got onto that 89A down to Sedona.

You won't regret 89A. Try to go south on it, if possible, out of Flagstaff. Other than that, I'm not from out there, so I can't help you any more than this. Hope it helps.

I stayed at a KOA in Flagstaff last year. I asked the employees for tips on some great rides. We wanted to go to the Grand Canyon but they insisted that we go to Sedona first. They were absolutely right.

The ride to Sedona was beautiful, but don't stop there. Continue through to Jerome and stop at a place called The Haunted Hamburger.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 AM
jpr8r
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 19 Posts

In 2009, a few of us spread the ashes of some dear brothers all along Route 66. Sitgraeves Pass holds a special place in my heart for that ride. Then, feed the donkeys a few carrots over the hill in Oatman. Someone has posted some good YouTube videos of the ride from Kingman (or there abouts) to Oatman. Enjoy that ride!!!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 PM
deluxeroad
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have ridden both sides of the Canyon and our favorite location is the North Rim. Difinately cooler but great roads, marvelous views, a lot less of a crowd. Riding to the north and east of the north rim you will the Vemillion Cliffs, Lees Ferry, Marble Canyon area and might as well take in the splender of Monument Valley!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:48 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

North Rim closes by mid-October, so take that into consideration if it's a late fall trip. Other than that, I've been to both N and S rims over the years. Both are great, so you won't be disappointed.

As for the ride, I actually like the trip from Flagstaff south on US 89A through Sedona, AZ.

Here's a few of my favorite routes through New Mexico.

1. US 180 from Deming (off I-10) and then NW through Alpine, AZ. You'll run through Gila National Forest. If you've got time, take the Trail of the Mountain Spirits byway.

2. North into Santa Fe, NM, then take US 84 into southern Colorado. At Pagosa Springs cut back west into Durango and into Cortez, CO. From there you can come into southern Utah before cutting back down to the north rim via US 89.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 AM
towerhandjake
Intermediate

Thank y'all for the input! This is exactly the info I had hoped for.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:16 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

Check out the Grand Canyon Railway in Williams AZ. Even if you don't ride the train, they put on a really good cowboy show before the train leaves town. We sat there & watched one cowboy take a six year old out of the audience & teach him how to knock a straw off of a pole with a whip. Kid did it on the second try.
www.thetrain.com

Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 507 Likes on 279 Posts

You should also check out a sunrise and sunset from the canyon rim. Get there before first light and enjoy the transformation. Get a spot on the rim that is not heavily occupied.

Quick Reply: Advise on Grand Canyon trip?