Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

help plan a new england trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:59 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

outstanding advice,i'll try to put these routes to paper and get a visual.the plan is to leave july19th and we(wife and i on two bikes )will have 16 days. we typically ride hard days 1 and 2 to get to an area then take each day as it comes. then ride hard home.so we should have about 12 days to explore the area. thanks again.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 AM
paulpa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure to give yourself time to ride in the white mountains of new hampshire,stay off coastal one in maine on the weekends,bumber to bumber rubber neckers,,,,,rte 8 from 44 in ct up through the berkshires to vermont is beautiful,,,,,stay off the highways in ct,they are dangerous and overcrowded,,,all of them....also a rte that goes north and south in eastern new york is 22 nice farms and scenery....have a great trip and be safe

Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 AM
hdbe
Road Master

I would like to tag along with this post....we are from Indiana. Have done the DC/Niagara Falls/Lake George trip but want to go farther up into New Hampshire/Maine area. In July when weve done these trips we ran into 100 deg days requiring us to start riding at 4am and be at our next stop by 1ish.

When is the best time to goto Maine and hit nice riding weather..... is September good?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:31 PM
etstrine
Tourer

Originally Posted by farmerstu
thanks for the input. i'm not looking specifiably for good rides but rather a complete route. have been thru Virginia and w.Virgina. how about starting a rt. at the Chesapeake bridge? have been across it but did not go north to Maryland. thinking this might be a good place to start? it's tough to try to look for a good route on a map as there is so much stuff in such a small place. i'm counting on you guys familiar with the area. going thru lots of small towns is good. big cities bad. also would like to hit all the states just because. (in some states a wheel across the border counts! thanks again and more help please.
Farmerstu, On our trip to Maine I also wanted to catch all the smaller states on the way up. From the Bay Bridge we followed 13 to Salisbury in Maryland. We then took 50 over to Route 1 and rode that into Delaware and at Route 9 we caught the ferry to Cape May, New Jersey. We then used Route 9 for most of New Jersey. We did go east and rode the strands on a few occasions. When we got close to Staten Island we got on the Garden State Pkwy which we then used to hit 287 and on to Staten Island where we caught 278 and rode that on to Long Island. If you time it so you don't hit rush hour traffic it is really not that bad. My Garmin was a huge help. Anyways, from there we caught the southern strand routes along the bottom of the Island and made our way east. We eventually got to Orient Point and took that Ferry across to New London, Connecticut. From there we rode Route 1 east into Rhode Island. Make sure you spend a day noodling around Newport. Great place to spend some time especially if you get away from Main St. We then continued on Route 1 up through Massachusetts. You can take it from there but that is the route we used to catch all those little states up the seaboard. Here is my trip report if you want to read it. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...-part-1-a.html

Good Luck!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great info. nothing like advice from those that have been there. thanks. keep it coming.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:08 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The white mountians in NH are very scenic esp Mt. Washington (Take the train to the top!) When I was stationed at Pease AFB back in the 70's there was a great seafood place just north of Portsmouth NH called Newicks lobster house... Great place to eat! www.newicks.com

Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In New Hampshire, you gotta ride the Kancamagus (Rt 112), and the Notches (Rt 302/Crawford Notch, Rt 16/ Pinkham Notch to Mt Washington).

Here's a link to an area tour I wrote up:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...ches-tour.html

JR