Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Harley Vacation

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 PM
BIGGINS88
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Harley Vacation

I'm in southern Indiana and looking to take a road trip vacation for 7 or 8 days this summer on my ultra, with my wife. Looking for any good destination ideas? Wanting to camp most nights.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:16 PM
stonesmith
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Head for Maggie Valley
Great place to base alot of great rides from You can ride there easy from Indiana in a day. Lots of campgrounds in that area and inexpensive mom and pop motels.Very motorcycle friendly.Blue ridge Parkway is minutes away.Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway are a nice day ride from there (as are Gatlinburg and the Smokies if you like the tourist traps) and there are other wonderful roads in every direction.Maggie Valley is not real touristy but does have it's share of decent places to eat and is home to the Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum (although there are plans for the owner to relocate it out west). My wife and I spent a week there last summer and could easily have stayed longer

Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 AM
jpr8r
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 19 Posts

Wheels Through Time is a must see. Go early, so you will have time to see it all. Warmest, nicest, most genuine folks you will ever meet. Eat at the Salty Dog, just down the way. It will be a vacation to remember!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 AM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about aiming north up through Michigan, touring the upper peninsula of Michigan, perhaps even making a circle of Lake Superior or Lake Michigan. Ride the coastlines. All kinds of choices, all kinds of camping opportunities. Deep scenery and great riding.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tail Of the Dragon on the TN/NC State line, Piegon Forge TN, Gatlinburg. You could go to Sturgis in August. I believe the Laconia rally in New Hampshire is in June. There are a million places you could go. You could even go without a plan at all and just wing it.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would have to agree with some of the above. East Tennessee has some of the best riding in the world. Plus besides riding there are a ton of things to do in the area.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:33 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Head down to Branson, Mo. and spend a full day and night there. From there, head South and spend at least three days riding around Eureka Springs and Harrison, Ar.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,835 Likes on 1,473 Posts

Go west young man!!! The list of things to see and do is endless.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

I have never been one to make long term plans..Pack what you figure you need,flip a coin and head out..It,s all about the adventure.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:28 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by stonesmith
Head for Maggie Valley
Great place to base alot of great rides from You can ride there easy from Indiana in a day. Lots of campgrounds in that area and inexpensive mom and pop motels.Very motorcycle friendly.Blue ridge Parkway is minutes away.Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway are a nice day ride from there (as are Gatlinburg and the Smokies if you like the tourist traps) and there are other wonderful roads in every direction.Maggie Valley is not real touristy but does have it's share of decent places to eat and is home to the Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum (although there are plans for the owner to relocate it out west). My wife and I spent a week there last summer and could easily have stayed longer
That's where I'm going next summer.

Quick Reply: Harley Vacation