Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

California Highway 395

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012 | 02:54 PM
GunnyGee
|
6th Gear
Default California Highway 395

Greetings,

I am planning a business trip to Reno, NV in late July. I was thinking it would be great to take a ride somewhere while on the west coast.

I am planning to rent a HOG from Chester's Reno Harley Davidson and head down around Lake Tahoe and eventually make it to LA. Looks like just over a 10 hour ride.

I am looking for any pros or cons to this route in late July. It looks like the afternoon heat may be something to consider when approaching Death Valley.

Anyway, I would like to hear from anyone that has gone this route before or are from the area and have first hand knowledge.

Thanks,
GunnyGee - Gary - USMC (ret.)
Michigan

Old 02-15-2012 | 04:26 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

I shipped my bike to LA back in 2006 and flew out to start a cross country trip back to Virginia. Rode up the Pacific Coast Highway across the Golden Gate Bridge, then to Yosemite NP and across Tioga Pass to US 395. Went south and then across Death Valley over to Las Vegas.

US 395 is a nice, pretty straight highway with beautiful views of the Sierra Nevada mts just to the west. Lone Pine is a nice little town. Old western movie town. Spent one night there. Nice saloon there: Jake's Saloon. Definitely recommend a ride across Death Valley and Yosemite NP. I went the end of July/first week of August. It was hot in Death Valley, but I like the heat. I believe I saw 107 degrees on the bike thermometer!

There are a few pics in my blog site (below link) picture tab for the 2006 Cross Country photo album.

Old 02-15-2012 | 06:33 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I ain't no world traveler but, if you rent in Reno, why would you go to LA. Went down 395 last year from Reno to Death Valley to Pahrump, NV. This was a good ride, but we didn't get to see Yosemite. I would think that California offers so much riding that the traffic of LA would not be attractive.

Old 02-15-2012 | 06:37 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Default Ca 395

Did a ride from Vegas to Reno a couple of years ago and travelled 395. It was a great ride did it from long pine on up. One thing you mentioned Death Valley, check your rental contract very closely. Most rentals out here prohibit travel in Death Valley from June through August. IF you go anyway any breakdowns are your expense. So, I would check or ask, so you are clear. Other than that you'l have a great trip.

Old 02-15-2012 | 09:12 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

Reno south on 395 will be a good trip until you get to about the 14. Then it is just blah unless you non-scenic desert riding. I love the desert, but I don't care for this particular stretch. You may want to consider 395 south to Yosemite head west over Tioga Pass and ride towards Sonora. Then turn bach north via Hwy 49 through gold country. Unless you have to go to LA, I think this may be a better ride; more scenery.

Old 02-17-2012 | 05:44 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

395 is beautiful until you get south of Lone Pine then the only thing worth looking at is the views of the Sierras, I would go down the 395 until you get to Lee Vinning then up over the Tioga Pass into Yosemite(just after you turn off of 395 there is a great place on the left to get a great sandwich) out the west side of Yosemite then across to the coast somewhere down the coast into LA.

Old 02-17-2012 | 05:48 PM
NavyHOG
Advanced

X2 on what santajim said. that is the very best way to go. Lived in reno for almost 5 yrs and the death valley is HOT and IMO BORING.

Old 02-17-2012 | 06:51 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member

I've ridden the entire length of the 395 twice from Hesperia to Canada. California 395 has some really nice stretches of road from Susanville to Lone Pine.
Check out the ghost town not far from Bridgeport, I can't recall the name but that place gave me the *******.
The area around Mammoth Lakes is really nice. The view coming off the high road between Bridgeport and Mono Lake is unreal.
Enjoy.

Old 02-17-2012 | 08:08 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by skidder
I've ridden the entire length of the 395 twice from Hesperia to Canada. California 395 has some really nice stretches of road from Susanville to Lone Pine.
Check out the ghost town not far from Bridgeport, I can't recall the name but that place gave me the *******.
The area around Mammoth Lakes is really nice. The view coming off the high road between Bridgeport and Mono Lake is unreal.
Enjoy.
Ghost town's name is Bodi but I think and I haven't been there for years but it's gravel road or was last time I was there.

Old 02-17-2012 | 10:19 PM
Haywired
Road Master

Quick Reply: California Highway 395