Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Going to Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Kind of curious whether anyone crosses into Mexico?

On my trip this May we will be riding through Tuscon and stayng in Tombstone on Day 1. When we leave, instead of heading directly north and riding the Coronado Trail, we are going to first head south to Bisbee then once we hit Agua Prieta go North on 191. Since we are spitting distance from the border, is it worth riding in Mexico for a few miles?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:07 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do some research.........the border towns like Juarez are the ones having the most problems. I don't know about Agua Prieta, but I would check before I go!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:01 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer

Thank you so much Keith and cayers...this is the best yet. I have already heard from Tucson Harley Davidson and they can hook me up so I am getting closer to making this happen.

Thanks again. I hope I find some friendly bikers while I am in the area to share some story's with. Maybe tip a glass.

Cameron

Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Default Well our trip is booked.....

Well we have booked a street glide from Tucson Harley for March 5th-9th. We have a long flight ahead of us because there are no direct flights but we are pumped. I hope we can get to tour some great scenic roads. I will print of the info from Keith's thread. The cost of the rental will be $488.10 for four days including the extra $30.00 for liability insurance. This is the cost with a H.O.G. membership so my H.O.G. membership will pay off here. I do hope to meet some riders out and about while in the area. I believe I saw an answer somewhere on here already to this question but I will ask again. Anything I should be concerned about with riding close to the Mexican Boarder? I will most likely in up down that way...Tombstone area.

Cameron

Last edited by campdreamer47; 02-16-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Gimme a heads up and let me know exactly what dates you will be in AZ and where you will be. Would love to hook up.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:43 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer

Will It looks like we will be in Tucson from March 3rd to the 9th, I have reservations with Tucson Harley for a Street Glide. I am not sure yet but my Fiance may rent a 1200 Sportster. She rides a 2007 Dyna Low Rider right now but we could not get one from the dealer for those dates.

We are not sure if she will rent yet anyway because she has not been riding long. I am a little intimidated myself with riding in Tucson. Not a big city rider myself. Anyway we have the Street Glide for 4 days and I could keep it longer. We sure would love to have someone show us around some...maybe have to slow down and babysit me a little at first until I got out of the city traffic .

What do you know about Tucson Harley Davidson...I am a little worried about renting after some of the horror stories I have read on here.

Get back to me with some thoughts/ideas.

Cameron

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
Gimme a heads up and let me know exactly what dates you will be in AZ and where you will be. Would love to hook up.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:24 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Tuscon Harley is on the west edge of town where you can be in a fairly rural area in minutes. I'm sure the guys in rental will have a few rides mapped out that will get you started.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 PM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by campdreamer47
Hi Cayers I will be flying from Portland Maine. There are no direct flights so I will be landing in a couple of different city's.

Why you ask. Once again I cannot believe I don't at least get an hello I would recommend from a forum member in that area. Makes me wonder why I bother...just trying to be part of a community that likes to travel and ride a Harley. Maybe drop some money into the economy hook up for a ride with some one etc. B the way I have searched the **** out of this froum with very little luck when it comes to anyone wanting to meet up or help out.

Cameron
It may be too late to change but if there are no direct flights to Tucson why not fly into a bigger city like Phoenix or even Los Angeles and rent a bike and ride to your friends? If the trip is to ride whats the difference and usually its cheaper to fly into bigger cities. Some Harley dealers will even pick you up at the airport. I haven't done it yet but I've thought about flying to Phoenix, Vegas or LA and do that very thing.

Just my .02cents....good luck and I hope you have a great trip

Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 AM
farmerstu
Road Captain

the ride to bisbee and tombstone is great.highly recomond it. however imo the only reason to stop in tombstone is to see big nose kates saloon. and that isn't that great. tombstone is the worlds worst tourist trap. any real history has been obliterated. bisbee is much cooler. the ride thru the mountains is a real winner.
we rented an ultra classic from Tucson harley in 08. it was a 100%positive experience. they were very nice and helped us plan our route. price pd. was actually less then price quoted. also we checked with our ins. co. before renting and found we needed no additional coverage. the rental was covered exactly like our own bikes.

Last edited by farmerstu; 02-19-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 AM
71FLH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me know when you're going to be in town and I would be more than happy to give ya the grand tour if ya want. We're getting a new grandson on the 3rd, but the 4th is open. I'm free weekends and after 2:30 on weekdays. If I can help in any way PM me and I will be happy to do whatever I can. I work right next to the HD shop.

Either way, all of the places that people have told you are great. Short rides like Mt. Lemmon, Saguaro National Monument, Kinny Rd., can all be done in an hour or so. Longer rides like Bisbee, Tombstone, Madera Canyon, Globe can be done a few hours depending on how you ride. All are great.

The freeway (I-10) through Tucson is easy, you're either on it or not. It's all there is except for one interchange at I-19.

As an after thought, if you want to get together for an hour or so I can at least show you on a map all of the good riding in the areas.

Anyway it's an offer to you or anybody else coming to Tucson.

Last edited by 71FLH; 02-21-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Going to Tucson