Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Going to Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brick, just curious what is your planned route to Tucson?

Old 02-14-2012, 05:29 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Default I am hoping to be in Tucson March 3rd-10th 2012.

....wanted to delete this but couldn't.

Last edited by campdreamer47; 02-19-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Brick0044
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure of the route but, will be 6 of us trailering down first week in march. I can't wait

Old 02-15-2012, 08:51 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member

Cameron............ Sorry you are not having any luck with planning your trip. PM with the details and I'll try to help with this part of your trip and possibly meet up.

Brick, if you are coming through New Mexico PM me and I'll help all I can.

Good luck to both of you!

Old 02-15-2012, 03:08 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer

Thanks cayers. Will for one thing I have read a lot of information on renting in Arizona some good some bad. Buddy Stubbs has a real bad write up some where and good some where else. It's darn pricey to phone a bunch of these rentals and talk it throught and lots of them do not have toll free numbers that I can find.

Here is what I would like to do:

Rent from someone near Tucson because that is where I will be flying into.

Rent a Heritage Softail Classic or an Ultra Classic from March 5th-10th.

It's hard to nail down exactly what the cost will be.

I would love to ride some must see roads.

I will be riding two up because my Fiance will be with me so it would be great to ride with another couple for a day or two.

I am not use to big city riding so I will be a little intimidated in Tucson no dough and would want out of there quickly.

I will be staying in Tucson with some friends that live there but they will not have much free time with us...they both work and cannot get that time off.

That's about it.

Cameron

Originally Posted by cayers
Cameron............ Sorry you are not having any luck with planning your trip. PM with the details and I'll try to help with this part of your trip and possibly meet up.

Brick, if you are coming through New Mexico PM me and I'll help all I can.

Good luck to both of you!

Old 02-15-2012, 04:24 PM
weaver
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it snowed in tucson today

Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member

Cameron,

There is a dealer in Tucson that rents;
http://www.tucsonharley.com/default.asp?page=rentals

As for trips.......
Take I-10 east and exit AZ-90 and go south to the Kartchner Caverns State Park(great still active cavern).

Continue south on AZ-90, 15 miles and then east on AZ-80 and follow the signs to Tombstone. Several motels to stay in here, I use the Larian. It is not expensive and is 1 block to the historic area. If your not familiar with it google it.

Bisbee is south of Tombstone and is a very interesting little town. Enjoy both the Cooper Queen Hotel and the Cooper Queen mine tour.

If you make it as far east as Las Cruces, NM (east of Tucson on I-10), PM and I'll try and connect with you. I can't guarantee anything at this point.

This will give you a start. PM me and I can add based on what you wish to see.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Brick0044
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Cayers, will definately pm you if we go through New Mexico.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

March is an iffy month in AZ. Some years, it is perfect and some years it is wet, cold, and windy. Not sure how long you will be in the area or just passing through, but...

The ride up to Mt Lemmon is actually a really nice ride and there are some good places to eat in Summerhaven at the top. There is a good chance there will be snow on the ground, but the weather could be nice. So, check the weather.

Just around town there are two rides that are pretty nice through the Saguaro National Monuments. The first is on the west side in the Tucson mountains with passes: Picture Rocks Pass (accessed from Cortaro Rd exit on I-10) and Gates Pass (accessed from Speedway exit). Out there is Old Tucson, which is a kind of amusement park and the Desert Museum, which I highly recommend. The second is on the east side of town. There is no easy way in and out on one end. What I would do is take 22nd St out to Old Spanish trail then take Old Spanish trail SE. There is a short loop through the park. If you keep following Old Spanish trail it will take you to Colossal Cave. Hang a right on Colossal Cave road and it will take you to I-10.

St Rt 83 to Sonoita is a nice little ride. From Sonoita you can head to Patagonia and Nogales. Get on the I-19 and head north. You can stop at Tumacacori (old mission now a museum, Tubac (artsy fartsy town), and San Xavier mission (recently restored and still in use).

Also from Sonoita you can head to Sierra Vista, which is real nice ride; then on to Bisbee and Tombstone. I like Bisbee more than Tombstone. On the way back through St David and Benson you will drive by Kartchner Caverns, which I also recommend.

My absolute favorite ride in southern AZ though is the Chirichaua National Monument. It's a ways from Tucson though and I usually make it a long weekend. I usually come down through Safford and stay in Willcox. Take the 186 to the park entrance. There is a road to the top with spectacular views. Follow the 186 to the 191 and either head to Douglas (I wouldn't) or head east on either Gleeson Rd or Davis Rd and get lost in AZ's back country on your way to Tombstone. You will literally be in the middle of know where.

Heading north there is a couple of nice roads: the 79 to Florence from Oracle Junction or the 77 to Globe (or you could head to Kearny on the 177 if the weather is not good) and on to Superior. This is also an iffy ride between Superior, Globe, and Winkleman. These are real popular rides. The Biosphere II is on the way to Oracle, but I have never been. Heard its cool though. If you take the 177 you will ride past Ray mine and be able to see the pit. If you've never seen one before (big giant hole in the ground), it will impress you. Bisbee has one too, which was at one time the largest open pit mine in the world.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I was in Tombstone, Bisbee and Douglas two weeks ago and had good weather and it's a nice ride too. Going to Oatman and Laughlin next week riding on Route 66, you might want to look at that area too.

Quick Reply: Going to Tucson