Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best legs of Great River Road?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best legs of Great River Road?

Gonna do a build at Fuel Moto in WI this May and then heading south and back east for 10 day tour (i live in Maryland).

Considering running the GRR from WI on down. Is it sweet the whole way? Are some legs must-sees; while others are give-it-a-miss?

Any advice appreciated.

PS--I'll be looking to camp most of the journey--state parks, KOAs, etc.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:19 PM
badger401
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plan on doing the lower portion of the GRR in May so I will be watching this thread for tips.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Wisconsin-Minnesota section is some of the best IMHO. I would suggest starting at Red Wing MN and going down the Minnesota side. Frontenac state park is just south of Red Wing and is a decent campground with an elevated view of the river. Also on the Minnesota side is the national Eagle center in Wabasha. Slippery's bar from the movie Grumpy old men is at Wabasha also but it's not the actual place where the movie was shot. Continue on the MN side south of Winona and cross over by LaCrosse on I-90 and then follow the Wisconsin side. A side detour at Prairie Du Chien that I would suggest is to cross over into Mcgregor Iowa and go up to the Pikes Peaks State Park. When we were there we saw several bald eagles flying around below the viewing platform which was appreciated by all in our group. The park overlooks the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers. After that I would go back across the way you came from Prairie and then head south. The road gets away from the river for a while until you cross into Dubuque Iowa. Before you get to Dubuque a cool stop along the way is the Petosi brewery http://www.potosibrewery.com/ also stop in Dickeyville, WI and see the Grotto if that sort of thing interests you.

From Dubuque you should cross right back over into Illinois on HWY 20. Stop in Galena, IL and check that out. It's a cool town and very popular. If you go through on a weekend it will be busy with all the people from Chicago. Galena is the post war home of Ulysses Grant. I would stay on the Illinois side from Galena down to Davenport, IA and take 61 down to Hannibal, MO. Make sure to go up on Lovers Leap at Hannibal for a neat view of the river. HWY 79 out of Hannibal down to Louisiana, MO is nice riding. From Louisiana down to St. Louis was pretty boring. We took the 4 lane south of St. Louis but did not see much of the river after that. We crossed over at Cairo which was an interesting town with huge flood gates to protect the town.

Enjoy

Old 02-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Stone1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Fuel Moto over to LaCrosse or the GRR is about a 3 hour trip across Hwy 21. Once at LaCrosse, if you have the time take the WI side of the River up to Redwing then come back south on the MN side. Once back to LaCrosse take the WI side along the River Road, just because there are more small river towns along the way. The MN and IA side have some neat spots. Oh crap the more I think about it take more time off work and travel both sides the river as it is great.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:27 PM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 182 Likes on 112 Posts

Both sides are good in MN/WI, but WI 35 is the better route. You can cross back and forth in a few spots, but once you get to Lacrosse, I would take the WI side. It gets away from the river a bit, but it takes you then on some narrow roads through some neat little ghostly villiages. I've done it down to St Louis, and can say that little stretch is the coolest. Most of the biker bar spots are on the WI side between Prescott and the border.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Haywired
The Wisconsin-Minnesota section is some of the best IMHO. I would suggest starting at Red Wing MN and going down the Minnesota side. Frontenac state park is just south of Red Wing and is a decent campground with an elevated view of the river. Also on the Minnesota side is the national Eagle center in Wabasha. Slippery's bar from the movie Grumpy old men is at Wabasha also but it's not the actual place where the movie was shot. Continue on the MN side south of Winona and cross over by LaCrosse on I-90 and then follow the Wisconsin side. A side detour at Prairie Du Chien that I would suggest is to cross over into Mcgregor Iowa and go up to the Pikes Peaks State Park. When we were there we saw several bald eagles flying around below the viewing platform which was appreciated by all in our group. The park overlooks the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers. After that I would go back across the way you came from Prairie and then head south. The road gets away from the river for a while until you cross into Dubuque Iowa. Before you get to Dubuque a cool stop along the way is the Petosi brewery http://www.potosibrewery.com/ also stop in Dickeyville, WI and see the Grotto if that sort of thing interests you.

From Dubuque you should cross right back over into Illinois on HWY 20. Stop in Galena, IL and check that out. It's a cool town and very popular.
Enjoy
+1 Nice ride!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 AM
dub976
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you do make it to galena, head east on 20 just past the river (downtown area) and turn at 3rd st and follow it around. it turns into blackjack rd, which is IL version of the tail of the dragon. 14+ miles of extreme twists. once you finally hit the dead end in Hanover it meets you back up with rt 84. make a right (heading south) and you'll pass
Mississippi Palisades State Park, great views for as far as the eye can see. lots of bald eagles and hawks. go a little bit further and eat at poopys bar/tattoo/bike shop. (best chicken fingers in the state. each one is a full size breast.)

I'll make the 3 hr ride just to take blackjack rd. and eat at poopys.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 PM
GrayMare
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A must stop is Savanna, IL (south of Galena on Rt 84), a biker friendly town. Stay at the L & M Motel at the east edge of town. Lois and her son Curtis are wonderful hosts. Rooms are reasonable and clean, some themed, have covered bike parking, some at your front door depending on your room. It was great to sit outside and visit with others staying there, they even have a big firepit and hot tub. After you check in, even have a cooler of cold beer in the office to settle the road dust. They will map out routes for you to ride in the area. The best feature was Curtis' shuttle ! He will take you anywhere in town, drop you off (a neat downtown area with several bars and places to ear), then pick you up when you call him, didn't matter how late and make stops along the way (like the liquor store). One of the days when we were there, a construction crew was staying there and left Curtis money to get beer for them when they got "home" from work.

Be sure and stop at Poopy's Pub & Grub a mile or so south of town, a biker bar, tattoo parlor and store. Good food and atmosphere. On weekends they have live entertainment and camping out back, even with hot showers in the restrooms. Of course, Curtis will take you there and pick you up when you call him.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent. Thanks for all the tips fellas. I am getting psyched!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 AM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

imho. we have rode the mn.wis. portion many times.i think it's the second best ride in mn. after the north shore of lake superior. two year ago we took the great river road home from natches miss. thinking it would be like the mn.wis.portion. WRONG. we thought it sucked. it is the one ride i have no desire to go back on. (ok 12 AND 212 across s.d. are bad but you have to ride them to get somewere else) anyway just my thoughts,i would not ride it south of Prairie Du Chien. bear in mind i think rt.66 is a waste too.

Quick Reply: Best legs of Great River Road?