Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Questions about Natchez Trail

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More pics.................

Attached Thumbnails Questions about Natchez Trail-tn-nc-gap-barber-2011-023.jpg   Questions about Natchez Trail-tn-nc-gap-barber-2011-056.jpg   Questions about Natchez Trail-tn-nc-gap-barber-2011-058.jpg   Questions about Natchez Trail-tn-nc-gap-barber-2011-166.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 06:26 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Cort, you've heard some great suggestions about places to stay and sights to see. I rode the Trace last year for the first time, and it was one of my favorite tours. I rode from Natchez to Nashville, and once I got out to Natchez, the Trace was a delightful two day tour. I stopped several times to get off the bike each day, and really enjoyed the relaxing, rambling tour.

I camped rather than staying in hotels, so I have limited knowledge of accommodations along the way. I stayed in state park campsites in Natchez, Tupelo, and south of Nashville.

As others have said, don't miss Windsor Ruins, Emerald Mound, and Meriwether Lewis Memorial. Take plenty of time to get off the bike and ramble for short walks in the woods. Loveless Cafe is great, of course. But so are sub sandwiches eaten picnic-style to one of the many small parks, overlooks, and historic markers along the way.

I'll be heading that way again in March - I can't wait to experience the history and solitude again!

Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 PM
cort43202
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Pastor and Harley Guy - thanks for posting pix and for the recommendations on where to stop.

TNCarters - thanks for the tip about the deer.

Probably going in October so I've got a long time to look forward to the trip.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the Trace last year, riding from NW Louisiana to Natchez and up the Trace to Nashville. I was not under any time constraints so took my time to see what I could see. It was the middle of May and the temperatures were moderate to warm. What an amazing ride. I see some comments about it being boreing, well I didn't find it that way. At 50mph with perfect weather it was nirvana riding. I stopped to visit some of the highlights along the trace but passed up the burial mounds. Stopped at the Trace Welcome Station to gleen more information about the history of the Trace. On the first night I stopped to Camp at Jeff Busby campground. Originally, it had a gas station and convienence store but it had been closed for quite awhile. The campground was loaded with travel trailers and motorhomes. I was offered tent space behind one of the motorhomes. It is run by the Park Rangers but none where there when I stayed overnight. I would have to agree that the upper Trace from Jackson, MS to the end of the Trace is the more scenic ride. I did stop and eat at the famous Lovelace Cafe. They have really great food, and there breakfast and biscuits are to die for. I missed seeing Franklin, TN which was nearby but I plan on doing the Trace again in May of 2012. I have a Brother in Law that lives in Brentwood, TN and was able to stay with them, what a treat that was. Anyway, I left Brentwood, TN the next day and headed back down the Trace for my return trip home. In all honesty, I was anxious to get back on the Trace and out the the City rat race. The solitude was great, hated to see it end. Warning: Watch out for critters of all kinds traversing the Trace. Lots of Bicyclists also. The only park rangers I saw were at the Meriweather Lewis monument and pioneer Cemetery on the upper Trace. So, if you are looking for a peaceful ride with little or no traffic with a lot of history, then this is the ride to take.

Last edited by snakeinthegrass; 02-22-2012 at 07:26 PM.