Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

New Orleans to Naples Fl.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012 | 01:28 PM
Iron Butt Pete
|
Intermediate
Default New Orleans to Naples Fl.

I'm riding my Streetglide from Ct. to New Orleans the first week of April. Picking up my old lady there and riding the Gold Coast down to Naples Fl. Any places, or roads that I should deftinitely hit on my way down to Naples? Any info would be appreciated.

Old 01-30-2012 | 06:43 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

If you have enough time.

Drop down to hiway 98 at Gulf Shores, Alabama and follow it at least as far as Destin, Florida. When you cross over the 3 mile bridge from Pensacola to Gulf Breeze, jump over to Santa Rosa Island and take the island over to Navarre where you cross back over to the mainland. You will be running along the most beautiful beaches in the world. Google it. The water has the same color as the Bahamas.

On another post you mentioned a bar that had dollar bills. Pensacola has the bar that started it. Stop at MacGuires for a meal. They have over $1 million dollars stapled all over the restaurant. Great sandwiches, micro-brewery and steak house and one of the best Wine Cellars in the USA. Very unique place.

If you still have time, follow your nose through Apalachicola and then all the way around the big bend area. You won't be seeing the Florida people think of, you will be seeing old coastal Florida. A whole different world and much better in my opinion.

Ask any questions and I will try to help.

Last edited by Jonesee; 01-30-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2012 | 07:50 PM
55chevy
Cruiser

/\ What he said, but if you have time, drop down to scenic 98 in Mississippi, Gulfport and Biloxi gulf front. Then before Mobile head for Dauphin Island, take the ferry over to Ft Morgan, then east to Gulf Shores.

Old 01-31-2012 | 11:07 AM
Iron Butt Pete
|
Intermediate

Thank you so much for the great ideas Jonesee, and 55 Chevy. I have never been in this area and am looking forward to seeing the beautiful scenery.

Old 01-31-2012 | 07:29 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior

What they said but it is US 90 across the MS Gulf Coast. I would go ahead and hit 90 in New Orleans. We go down to Slidell all the time and hit 90 headed east. When you go through Biloxi and cross the bridge into Ocean Springs, I would head north and hit I-10 and run over to the exit for Dauphin Island as 55 Chevy said.

Old 01-31-2012 | 10:07 PM
Iron Butt Pete
|
Intermediate
Default 90 east worth it?

Hey Jonesee, I was thinking of taking I-90 from New Orleans to Mobile, then down to Dauphine island, and then following your route over to Panama city. Also, is the trip to Apalachicola worth the ride? What kind of people and sites are there?QUOTE=Jonesee;9327706]If you have enough time.

Drop down to hiway 98 at Gulf Shores, Alabama and follow it at least as far as Destin, Florida. When you cross over the 3 mile bridge from Pensacola to Gulf Breeze, jump over to Santa Rosa Island and take the island over to Navarre where you cross back over to the mainland. You will be running along the most beautiful beaches in the world. Google it. The water has the same color as the Bahamas.

On another post you mentioned a bar that had dollar bills. Pensacola has the bar that started it. Stop at MacGuires for a meal. They have over $1 million dollars stapled all over the restaurant. Great sandwiches, micro-brewery and steak house and one of the best Wine Cellars in the USA. Very unique place.

If you still have time, follow your nose through Apalachicola and then all the way around the big bend area. You won't be seeing the Florida people think of, you will be seeing old coastal Florida. A whole different world and much better in my opinion.

Ask any questions and I will try to help.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-31-2012 | 10:16 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

from naples it is not a bad days ride down to key west...well worth the trip.

Old 02-01-2012 | 07:03 AM
Iron Butt Pete
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dan conner
from naples it is not a bad days ride down to key west...well worth the trip.
Thanks Dan, I have done the ride to Key West from Naples. It is a great ride. I have never been up in the gold coast area though.

Old 02-01-2012 | 07:15 AM
Iron Butt Pete
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jonesee
If you have enough time.

Ask any questions and I will try to help.
Is I-90 to Biloxi a nice ride? Is Mobile Al. a city worth checking out? Is Apalicola worth the ride down that coast to see the sites and different people? Giving myself 4 1/2 days to get to Naples from N.O. Don't want to hammer through.

Old 02-01-2012 | 11:12 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Iron Butt Pete
Is I-90 to Biloxi a nice ride? Is Mobile Al. a city worth checking out? Is Apalicola worth the ride down that coast to see the sites and different people? Giving myself 4 1/2 days to get to Naples from N.O. Don't want to hammer through.

I personally wouldn't take 90 to Biloxi. But if you want a distraction, the casions at Biloxi are only 10 minutes south of the interstate.

Mobile is a great old southern city, but one of those cities that you need to see with a local to really enjoy it. If I were passing through like you, I think there are others places that would provide more bang for your buck (or time spent). If you hit Mobile and are hungry, drop down to the causeway across Mobile Bay and hit The Original Oyster House. Fresh local seafood. A great place to eat. Ever have fried shrimp with the head still on? You will there.

Earlier someone recommended the ferry at Fort Morgan. I've been on it and it is a good time. Pull your bike on and stay with it on deck as they take you across. You can bring a 6 pack of your favorte beverage or a lunch with you and eat it on the ferry while crossing. I would call ahead and get the times to see if it fits your schedule. It also drops you off down on the gulf coast to continue your trip.

Apalachicola and east along the coast is just a step back in time to old Florida. It isn't palm trees and population. Just the opposite. Very few people and even fewer palm trees. That route is small towns, live oaks and pine trees. I think it is worth it. Your alternative is I-10 and that is pounding away 350 miles at 80 mph on a straight flat interstate with nothing to see but pine trees.

Given the time you have I would take the coastal route.

Last edited by Jonesee; 02-01-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: New Orleans to Naples Fl.