Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Thinking about heading to Laconia in June

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thinking about heading to Laconia in June

Yeah a little OT but this is where I hang. I am on vacation the week of Laconia. Which is also the week of my birthday. Take it every year. We usually do a family vacation but not this year so the wife and I were thinking about heading to Laconia. Having never been I have a few questions.

So is the rally worth the trip??? Is it overly crowded??? How about lodging. How many days should we plan for.

We vacationed in NH one time when I was a kid. I remember going to the top of Mt Washington and riding the Cog Railway but not much else. It was almost 25 years ago.

Any info, tips or suggestions that any of you could offer would be great.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Thumper1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decent rally, last time I camped outside of town. The only problem seems that it alwasy wants "r" there during bike week. 3 days was enough for me.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Gator252
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did Laconia last year and agree with Thumper that it is a decent rally but a few days is plenty. Good ride to Mt. Washington as well. You should consider spending some time at Lake George, NY while in the area...great roads between the two destinations and nice ride around the lake.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:40 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I am about 50 miles from the rally. I have never gone to it. I have headed out for it a few times and when I got close I have skirted it and decided to ride the countryside. Awesome riding up there. I have heard that traffic at the Weirs is standstill. If you decide to go, bring your rain gear. You WILL need it. BTW, which scoot will you be riding?

Old 01-28-2012, 07:40 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I plan on making that rally this year also. Wanted to go last year but motor problems didn't allow it. I know I will be looking for lodging outside of town and will want to take in some of the great scenery and roads out there as well as visit the rally one or two days. Heard great roads up the coast and through the mountains.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

So maybe allow 5 days??? Two for the ride in and ride home and three for the rally maybe??? We want to enjoy it but don;t want to cut ourselves short. Also would it be better to catch the beginning or the tail end???

Old 01-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Just mapped it and it is 458 miles each way. So looks like two days for sure for getting there and getting home.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:58 AM
jay87LX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live here and its a decent rally, But as was said it usually rains at some point every year. I would argue though that there wouldn't be many places that could rival the scenery and views around the lake.
Ther are many places you could stay "away" from the rally where prices would be cheaper but still close enough so that it wouldn't be a pain to get there. if you need any more info dont hesitate to inbox me. I have lived here my whole life

Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 AM
METALKAT
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pretty much go every year since I live 45min. SW of it. It does rain all the time but there is always one awesome day of sunshine, you just have to land it. You can probably see most of it in 2 days but if your looking for specific events then you will probably have to do more. Camping outside of Laconia is very doable, just call around and get a rate and spot now. Lodging your just gonna have to see if you can still find anything. Definitely ride the Kancamagus Hwy. It's the BALLZ!!! They usually close Mt. Washington one day for bikes only so thats cool too. Riding through NH is pretty nice! Maybe we should do an informal HDForum meet/lunch/ride one day.
Ride Safe!

Last edited by METALKAT; 01-28-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:35 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I live in NH, I've gone up many years, missed many others, stayed over a few nights. The lakes region is my favorite place to be on the planet (I'm a boater too, so my best days involve riding the bike to the boat, boating, then more riding). Just riding around the lake is great. All the worst traffic is in Wiers, once you move away, it's fine, just a lot of bikes to see.

That said, they don't call it Rain-conia for nothing, as the weather here in June is very unpredictable. A 1/2 day at the Wiers will give you a chance to see all that is worth seeing. But, there are several full day rides using that area as a starting point that are worth doing by heading North, East or West.

When I've stayed (which I may try to do this year), my friends rent a house right on Rt 11B on the way into Wiers, so in the evening we set up lawn chairs and people watch the traffic.

I would travel on the weekend and be there during the week, much less traffic, easier to get around, same great rides and mostly decent folks...

I'd be up for trying to meet a few forum folks...

Quick Reply: Thinking about heading to Laconia in June