Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Thinking about heading to Laconia in June

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

New Hampshire is a beautiful State to cruise around in.

Over the years I've set out to head to the Weirs Beach area of the rally and I always ended up riding away from the traffic. I prefer the mountains area rather than down in the lakes area anyway.

The riding around the White Mountain National Forest is awesome. All summer long there's plenty of bikers in the area.

It's pretty easy to find lodging anywhere around Conway, Lincoln, Jefferson and anywhere in-between. The closer you get to Laconia the tougher it'll be to find a place to stay.

Last year we spent a full week up there as a family in August and the weather was awesome. You can go up Mt. Washington, take a scenic train ride through the countryside, take tramways up to the top of mountains, hike up mountains or hike down gorges, plan a cruise to all the covered bridges in the area, stop in at cool little gift shops or explore little towns. There's no shortage of things to do up there. We all had a great time and can't wait to go back.

The wife & I spent five days up there a few years ago cruising around on the bike and we had an absolute blast!

I don't know much about the actual rally and New Hampshire is a pretty long way from Delaware but I'm sure you'll be happy you made the trip.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:08 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alien Spyder
New Hampshire is a beautiful State to cruise around in.

Over the years I've set out to head to the Weirs Beach area of the rally and I always ended up riding away from the traffic. I prefer the mountains area rather than down in the lakes area anyway.

The riding around the White Mountain National Forest is awesome. All summer long there's plenty of bikers in the area.

It's pretty easy to find lodging anywhere around Conway, Lincoln, Jefferson and anywhere in-between. The closer you get to Laconia the tougher it'll be to find a place to stay.

Last year we spent a full week up there as a family in August and the weather was awesome. You can go up Mt. Washington, take a scenic train ride through the countryside, take tramways up to the top of mountains, hike up mountains or hike down gorges, plan a cruise to all the covered bridges in the area, stop in at cool little gift shops or explore little towns. There's no shortage of things to do up there. We all had a great time and can't wait to go back.

The wife & I spent five days up there a few years ago cruising around on the bike and we had an absolute blast!

I don't know much about the actual rally and New Hampshire is a pretty long way from Delaware but I'm sure you'll be happy you made the trip.
I think that's the same bridge We stopped at last 4th of July weekend - great area to ride!

Last edited by bogieb; 01-30-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Iron Butt Pete
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really only need one day at the rally. I would stay I'm Lincoln which is about 25 nj.s north of Weird beach. You can get a room for around $100.00 a night and you are at the entrance to the Kangamankas hyw. a must do short 30 or so mile ride over a mtn with some nice views. Then you can head north into the town of Conway, and continue up to Mt. Washington. Also go and check out Mt. Washington hotel which is nowhere near the entrance to Mt. Washington. Great roads everywhere for some scenic riding. Also have the Magic Hat brewery not too far from Lincoln in Vt. Where there are more beautiful rds. Font waste your time at the rally with all the great rds. around you.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

We went last year. I was disapointed with the size of it. The road at weirs beach is probably half mile long. Vendors on one side only. Heavy HA presence but no problems. We stayed close by in a Hampton Inn for about 90 per night. About half a day there was more than enough. We enjoyed the roads around there more than the rally. If going to weirs beach, go early, see it ,avoid the crowds and ride the Kanc or other roads.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Like any of the major rallies, it's pretty much the same thing...just different scenery. I'd say take the trip, because if you don't, someday you'll be sitting there regretting that you never went to check it out! If you decide not to do it this year, for sure put it on your bucket list and make sure to get it crossed off at some point! Like everyone said, some of the very best roads you will EVER ride on are up here in New England! Rode the dragon a few years ago, and glad we did....but there's really no challenge there....no driveways or side roads among all those turns and hills like we got here!