Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Thinking about heading to Laconia in June

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the input everyone. Not too sure now if the weather is that iffy. Would hate to make a trip that long and not be able to enjoy the area.

Just Googled some of those roads soos. Looks like some beautiful riding.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:29 PM
kc classic
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have only been there once. Back in 1974, I know most of you were born after that date. Never made it to Weirs Beach or the track. Pretty much a wasted weekend. A lot of booze and nudity, not that I minded.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:47 PM
BcDog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic riding! Like everyone else said bring your rain gear.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:23 PM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't let us New Englanders scare you off. Spring in New England is inherently unpredictable, but most years, the are days of rain and days of sun. Pretty much like everywhere else...

Even on the rainy days, full days of rain aren't all that common. More likely it pours for a few hours and then boom, bright and sunny... Plus, if you don't like the weather, an hours ride in any direction, and it'll change. That's New England...

Old 01-28-2012, 10:57 PM
coz300
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iv`e been. I stayed in a campground about 10 miles outside of Weirs Beach. The ride in was hell. (traffic and overheating) I didn`t go back into town after that. One day was all I needed to get the experience.The riding in the area is amazing as long as you head in the opposite direction as everyone else .

Old 01-29-2012, 01:02 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 564 Likes on 394 Posts
Default go early,gone by thursday

I always check out the hillclimb.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ybnorml
I'm about 235 miles from there, so will take a day-ride over and back
to see the sights hanging around Weirds Beach.
Maybe do this twice depending on weather and friends that want to go....

Arrive there @11am and leave there @4pm.... seen all I want to see
and have filled my gut with a sausage bomb or two.

Usually take the southern route in and take the northern route home.....

Mt Washington and the various notches are a must....
Like YB says, one day at the vendor tent is plenty for us, as we'll ride over and back same day. It's the riding around the area, The Kanc, Mt Washington, the notches, etc, that make it worthwhile and fun. We are lucky that we live close enough to have ridden the most of the roads in this area, so an annual ride over to see the rally and maybe get a t-shirt is plenty for us. We went to Daytona last year, had 9 days to visit the area. We went downtown to see the vendors, etc, twice, once all day and once later on in the eve to see the sights at nite. I'd say the same thing about Daytona, Sturgis, Laconia, etc, it's not really about the rally so much as it's about the ride, and the NH area has some awesome riding! They also close Mt Washington to cars one day so only bikes can ride to the top....that and the Kanc are a must do!

Some years it's just YB and me, other years we have 5 or 6 friends make the trip. Some years it rains, and last year it was 90 degrees + on the day we went over, it's a crap shoot.

I say go.....

Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The rally is a nice family-friendly time. we always spend a couple hours looking at bikes and browsing the shops. then we go ride the lakes for 4-5 hours. Hubby also does the Ride to the Sky on Mt. Washington (they shut down the road to autos, so only bikes are allowed - if you go, check out your picture online too). The hill climbs at Gunstock are fun to watch and there are several concerts in Gilfod during the week. there is also great riding and scenery in the northern half of the state.

For activities that aren't about bikes, there are the Polar Caves, Lost River, Cannon Mountain tramway, Cranmore arial lines etc. you can get to the ocean in only a couple of hours or less, depending on where you stay).

Sure, use the rally as an excuse to come out here, but there are a whole lot more things to do and see!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bogieb
The rally is a nice family-friendly time. we always spend a couple hours looking at bikes and browsing the shops. then we go ride the lakes for 4-5 hours. Hubby also does the Ride to the Sky on Mt. Washington (they shut down the road to autos, so only bikes are allowed - if you go, check out your picture online too). The hill climbs at Gunstock are fun to watch and there are several concerts in Gilfod during the week. there is also great riding and scenery in the northern half of the state.

For activities that aren't about bikes, there are the Polar Caves, Lost River, Cannon Mountain tramway, Cranmore arial lines etc. you can get to the ocean in only a couple of hours or less, depending on where you stay).

Sure, use the rally as an excuse to come out here, but there are a whole lot more things to do and see!

Oh wow!!! I remember going to Lost River and Polar Caves when we were there. But I am sure alot has changed since 1975.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 AM
myillearth
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently in the planning stages but this is a close estimate

Depart DE/ PA line sat and ride to the finger lakes. 1 day ride. Ride th finger lakes area on Sunday and Monday. Make the trip over to lake goerge Monday Evening.

Trip to Lake Placid on Tuesday and tour the lakes on Wed.

Ride to Laconia on Thursday, spend the day and head out of town to spend the night.

Friday and Saturday snake our way back to south east PA.

The idea is to avoid as many major highways as possible.

Again just planning at this stage but having been to most of the major events I find a day or two more than plenty of time to hang around.

At this point, its more about the ride than the destination.

Probably going to play it by ear for lodging once we leave Lake George.

Quick Reply: Thinking about heading to Laconia in June