Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Finger Lakes NY

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finger Lakes NY

This past summer we hit the road on Saturday, August 20. We had two weeks to ride with only two firm destinations in mind. The first being Watkins Glenn State Park in New York and the other being to visit family in North Central Ohio. Not much to report on the first day as we rode the slab from Charlotte up to the Blue Ridge Parkway entrance in Fancy Gap, Virginia. Once on the BRP our goal for the day was to camp somewhere around Roanoke as we wanted to visit our youngest daughter. We had lived in Salem from 97 through 03. The weather was beautiful in the higher elevations and we had a pleasant ride. We got off the Parkway at Roanoke and met our daughter at Macado’s Restaurant on Electric Rd. If you’re ever in the area I would recommend this place. Nice atmosphere, good food and reasonably priced. After visiting with our daughter we rode south on 11 for a while and camped Saturday night at Dixie Caverns Campground just south of Salem.

Although we had passed it many times before, this was the first time we had ever been here. It was ‘OK’ as a place to overnight but it was definitely not the type of place to spend any time. The sites were very close together and it was too close to the interstate. This place was really designed for the motor home crowd.
Sunday broke sunny and warm. Although the Roanoke area is in the mountains, it can still get very hot and humid. The entire I81 corridor can be that way. So we jumped back on the BRP, where the higher elevations meant a 10 degree drop in the temperature, and headed north. As we had lived in that area for 6 years we did not stop for any sightseeing this time through. My wife did take this picture as we went past the Peaks of Otter parking area.

I did decide to get back on the interstate at Staunton as we wanted to try to make it to the western peninsula of Maryland before nightfall. Just after getting on the interstate a thunderstorm passed through. We waited it out at a Subway and then got back on the road. The ride north on I81 was uneventful and I jumped on to 11 just south of Winchester. We rode through Winchester and hit 522N. This was a nice open access 4 lane highway until we hit West Virginia where it turned into two lanes. The entire stretch was a nice scenic ride.
We rode 522 across the Potomac River.

We picked up I68 and headed west through Maryland. There was some beautiful scenery with sweeping vistas through this stretch.

As the sun started to set we pulled in to a rest area to take stock of the situation and decide where to camp for the night. This is where we were reminded of how small the world really is. As I entered the parking area I noticed a motor home that looked like it may need some help. The engine door was open and a man was standing next to it just shaking his head. I pulled up beside him, shut things down and asked if there was anything I could do. It turned out that he had a flat tire on the interstate and was waiting on a repair truck to arrive. We began to talk and he mentioned that he was from Ashland, Ohio. This got my attention because that is where I was born and I told him so. He knew of my brother and asked if I was related to several others with the same last name. As we were talking his wife overheard us and stuck her head out the window. Once she established who I was she told me that her son was marrying one of my cousins in the following week. What a strange coincidence.
We decided to stay that night at Rocky Gap State Park which is just north of Cumberland. It was another half hour down the highway so we got there before nightfall. We were so impressed with the park that we booked a camp site for two nights. Here is an approach picture of the lake.

There is a good hiking trail around the lake and here is a nice shot of the lodge from the other side.

We would definitely recommend this camp ground for the MC camper. It has nice sites that are not too close together while the facilities are clean and modern.

Tuesday, 8/23 and we are heading out of Rocky Gap to catch 220 north.

220 turned in to Interstate 99 about 30 minutes in to PA. Although it was interstate, the ride scenery was fantastic and for most of the day it felt like we had the road to ourselves. There were areas we passed that seemed truly desolate; nothing but mountains and trees. The few homes we saw were miles apart. During a gas stop my wife commented about the remoteness of some of the homes we saw in the distance. She thought some old lady could have died in one of those homes and no one would know for weeks! Once we were north of Altoona 220 turned back into a two lane road. We stayed on this until we crossed Interstate 80 where we picked up 150N. We stayed on 150 until we again picked up 220 in Lock Haven. Williamsport is where we said goodbye to route 220 and picked up 15N. We then followed 15 in to New York until reaching Corning where we picked up 414 for the last stretch in to Watkins Glenn. I must say that today’s ride was probably one of the most enjoyable I have ever taken. While there were really no challenging curves or switchbacks, the entire route was truly through some beautiful country. The roads seemed to be purposely built to give you the best possible views and the Road King just ate up the miles while going through long sweepers and climbing steep grades. The people we met during our brief stops were friendly and helpful.
Coming in to Watkins Glenn.

Much to our disappointment, the Watkins Glenn State Park had no extended vacancies on any sites with electric. We had intended on making this our base camp for a week. We turned around and stopped at a campground we passed on route 414 on the way in. Ferenbaugh Campground had electric sites available so we checked in for the week and managed to get set up before nightfall. There were two main camp areas here. The first was out front close to the highway and it was strictly for large rigs. The other area was up in the hills behind the main office and store. These sites were fairly secluded though the road and campsite entry drives were fairly steep in places. It did make my wife nervous as we came and went throughout our stay.

Wednesday, 8/24 and we are on the road back in to Watkins Glenn. We stopped at the state park and spent the day. This place was amazing. We have travelled through most of the continental US and I never realized that there was this kind of geological formations, in such abundance, anywhere east of the Mississippi.

There are two ways you can walk this canyon. You can park in the lower lot and walk up, or you can park in the upper lot and walk down. Either way you are going to hike up a long, steep incline as you have to get back to your bike. So pick your poison. Don’t let this steer you away as it is well worth the effort. It seems that every time you see a waterfall or rock formation that can’t be any more wondrous, you walk around a corner and there is something even more so. I am glad we have two memory cards for the camera.

We spent the entire day at the park and later ate dinner at a restaurant in Watkins Glenn which overlooked Seneca Lake. The beer was good (Edmund Fitzgerald beer from the Great Lakes Brewing Co.), the food was good and the view was outstanding. Next to the eatery was a tour boat business. We decided to return tomorrow and take a ride around the lake.

Thursday, 8/25; after our boat ride we jumped on the bike and turned east towards Ithica and Cayuga Lake. We stopped at the Harley dealer, and asked about some good roads to take us around the lakes. Back on our bikes we turned north on to 13, through Ithica, and the rode 89 up the west side of Cayuga Lake (seeing several more state parks we would come back to visit later). When we reached the northern end of the lake we turned west on 20, through Geneva (Wow, talk about old money) on the north end of Seneca Lake and then turned south on 14 (along the west side of Seneca) to head back to Watkins Glenn and our camp site.

Friday, 8/26; We spent today back tracking the southern part of our route from yesterday in order to visit Taughannock Falls State Park (Taughannock, one of many falls in the park, is taller than Niagra). Another morning spent climbing but again worth the effort.

Saturday, 8/27; today we rode east to visit Skaneateles, NY (sounds like ‘skinny atlas’). It is on the northern tip of one of the Finger Lakes with the same name. It Is close to Syracuse where my oldest daughter received her Master Degree and it is a place that my wife wanted to revisit. It is another old money place. In the right side of the picture below is a boat house. Yes, that cottage that a family of five could live in is a boat house! It is built to match the main house to the left. It is by no means singular to this lake. Many homes here have boat houses equally as large and intricate.

As we rode back to camp that evening we were looking in to a red sky. What is that saying? Red sky at night, sailors delight? Well they are wrong. Tomorrow is 8/28/11 and Hurricane Irene is heading up the east coast.

Sunday, 8/28; the western edge of Irene has been dumping rain on our Leesure-lite since shortly after midnight. We are dry and warm and catching up on some rest this morning. There is something about rain hitting a tent canopy that makes it hard to stay awake! We spent the morning at the camp laundry. The rain finally let up around noon although it was too wet to visit another state park; much to the disappointment of my aching legs! We did ride in to Corning to visit the Rockwell Museum of Western Art (the same ticket will allow us to come back tomorrow to visit the Glassware Museum). We also stopped downtown for dinner. Corning is a really interesting town. It has a vibrant downtown area with a lot of unique shops and restaurants.
Monday, 8/29; this morning it was back to Ithica where we spent most of the day at Buttermilk Falls State Park. More steps…….by butt is dragging! I thought I was in shape.

After another day climbing more stairs and inclines than I care to remember, we rode back in to Corning to visit the Glassware Museum. This is another place I would highly recommend. You can see artisans blowing glass and the entire museum is an interesting tour. As an added bonus the ladies can actually purchase souvenirs small enough to carry home on the bike. Again we had dinner in the downtown area. There are several nice bars/restaurants here.
Tuesday, 8/30; the morning finds us back on 414 heading south with the camper in tow. We are trying to get to the Tionesta Dam camp site in Pennsylvania today. I had heard about this Army Corp of Engineers Campground from a fellow Moto-campers Forum member’s post and I was anxious to try it out. We stayed on 414 to Corning and using I15 we picked up 414 west which we rode to Portville, NY. There we turned on to 446 south and entered Pennsylvania. Picking up 59 west we continued on to Warren where we turned on to 62 south along the Allegheny River.

It was during the stretch of highway 59 that my battery charging light briefly came on. After a few miles it went out and I chalked it up to the wet weather from Irene. However once we turned on to 62 the light came back on and did not go off. Since I had a relatively new battery I decided to keep moving until we got to Tionesta and we could set up camp. I would check things out at that time. We pulled in to the gate and I shut off the bike in order to check in. The battery was barely able to crank it over to get it started back up but it managed and we motored in to our site. This time when I shut her off there was no starting back up. I looked at the bike for all the obvious, easy to fix issues, but saw nothing. We set up camp and I used my Garmin to start looking for the nearest dealer. It was late and although I knew no one would be open I wanted to find out what days they were open (and at what time) so I could be prepared to call them first thing in the morning. According to my Garmin the closest dealer was in Du Bois, PA. I called the number expecting to get a recording informing me of their hours but a guy actually answered the phone. This was 10:00PM! He said they were working late on another bike for an out of state rider. They were trying to get him ready to go out in the morning. I was impressed! Anyway, he said they could have me picked up in the morning and they would squeeze me in but he said they were really busy. He asked if I would call the dealer in Jamestown, NY to see if they could take care of me, and that if they could not, he would.

Wednesday, 9/1; I am on the phone to Jamestown HD first thing in the morning. The service manager said they were going to be in my general area that morning picking up another bike and they would stop by to get me. I told him that I needed to be back at the camp site that night because we were not allowed to leave our camp site unattended overnight. These folks were top notch. The guy pulling the enclosed trailer was from the area so we got a guided tour on the way back north to Jamestown. We arrived at the dealership and they found that my voltage regulator was shot. They did not have one in stock and could not get one from another dealer until the next day (MoCo was back ordered). So they pulled a used one out of a bike they had on the floor, made me a good deal on it and I was back in camp in time for dinner. Oh, and the towing was covered by my HOG membership. All in all, considering the circumstances, it was a good day. We got to see a lot of the countryside; meet some really great people; and have an adventure to talk about around the campfire.

Thursday, 9/2; we continue south on 62 until coming to Interstate 80. There we head west. We spend Thursday evening, Friday and Saturday morning with family and friends in north central Ohio before heading home. We travel Interstate 77 almost the entire way, stopping to camp Saturday night just north of Charlestown, WV. We are home Sunday afternoon.
It was an awesome trip. We saw some great areas of the good ol’ USA and hope to go back to the Finger Lakes area someday. Ride safe, everyone.

Last edited by etstrine; 01-17-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 382 Likes on 227 Posts
Default Eldred, Pa

Sounds like you road the trip of a lifetime. Did you go through Eldred, Pa when leaving Portville NY? I grew up in that town.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:25 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Sounds like you road the trip of a lifetime. Did you go through Eldred, Pa when leaving Portville NY? I grew up in that town.
I don't recall the specifics, but yes we did. We stayed on 446 until reaching 59 so I see that we must have gone through Eldred.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:59 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great report and pictures.

Thanks.

RIDE ON.................

Old 01-17-2012, 06:07 PM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were just up ther last summer. Great ride around the lakes and got to visit alot of wineries. Would like to get back up there sometime.