Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding SoCal to Sturgis 2012, need suggestions / trip advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:59 PM
MicOnti
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding SoCal to Sturgis 2012, need suggestions / trip advice

Ok, I'm riding from Orange County to Sturgis and I'm looking for some help with the trip. We are thinking about going the week before the rally to avoid the huge crowds but im sure im not the only one. Looking for advice :

- what route to take there / back?
- where to stay on the way there, camp grounds / hotels
- where to stay when we get there, the best general area
- any insider tips, I'm sure you Die Hards have learned a thing or two with every trip there.. I would love to benefit from your experience.

Thank you once again, I'd appreciate any and all input.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ride Beartooth Pass great riding even have snow in late june up there

Old 01-08-2012, 05:43 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last year we stayed at Sturgis RV park. They have cabins and tent spots for rent and are in walking distance of Main Street. The rally portion is over rated to me but the riding in the area is top notch. We rode Needles Canyon, to Mt Rushmore, to Devils Tower and several other areas that I can't recall. If I go again I'd also like to go the week before to avoid the huge crowds.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:07 PM
MicOnti
Cruiser

Perfect! This is the exact kind of review I'm looking for. The do's and dont's of the trip... thanks!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:37 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

I think going the week before is smart. How many riders in your group? TGhat will probably make a difference in where you stay.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 PM
jcp0330
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you take the time to go to Red Lodge and ride Beartooth Pass and then on through Yellowstone to Jackson WY. Very Awesome ride. From there you can ride through Idaho and then either over to the CA coast, or what I did last year is ride from Idaho down into Nevada, then over to Reno, then down Hwy 395 home to Palmdale.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:38 PM
MicOnti
Cruiser

As of now we got about 5 going. Yellow Stone would be awesome, I would like to take a different route back as we did there but we only have 7 days. Im hoping this doesn't add on too many miles.. anyone know of any links that shows routes and maybe highlight gas stations.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you a HOG member? They have a ride planner that works pretty well.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:09 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I'd take I-15 North to the Junction with I-70 just North of Beaver, UT. Then take I-70 E all the way to Denver. I-70 is a spectacular ride through Glenwood Gorge and over Vail Pass and then crossing the Continental Divide at the Eisenhower tunnel. From Denver, go N on I-25 past Cheyenne WY to Wheatland. At Wheatland, take SR 320 to Hwy 26, then E to Guernsey, then 270 N to Manville. Then take Hwy 20 E to Lusk and then 18 E through Edgemont SD to Hwy 89 N. 89 will take you to Custer. Take 385 N to Hill City (might want to allow time to visit Mt. Rushmore, it's very close), then 16 E To Rapid City. Rapid City is just a short distance from Sturgis on I-90.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MicOnti
As of now we got about 5 going. Yellow Stone would be awesome, I would like to take a different route back as we did there but we only have 7 days. Im hoping this doesn't add on too many miles.. anyone know of any links that shows routes and maybe highlight gas stations.
That is a very tight schedule. You will have to ride around 700 miles a day to get to Sturgis, if you ride three days (~450 miles/day), then you have only one day at the rally. I am talking about shortest route.
Just a thought!

Quick Reply: Riding SoCal to Sturgis 2012, need suggestions / trip advice