Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding SoCal to Sturgis 2012, need suggestions / trip advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 AM
MicOnti
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I know we're pushing it on time. We might have to call in sick on the way home Haha!

Old 01-09-2012, 12:02 PM
MicOnti
Cruiser

Hey this might be a dumb question, but is there a easy way for mapping out gas stations? I've took some rides where its crucial to top off at certain spots, I don't doubt this is any different.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:13 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MicOnti
Hey this might be a dumb question, but is there a easy way for mapping out gas stations? I've took some rides where its crucial to top off at certain spots, I don't doubt this is any different.
Either Google map, or Mapquest will give you the option to show the gas station locations on the map, but I don't think you will need it. Gas stations are almost every where now. I stop every 100 miles, or less so there is no problem for me at all.
Good luck and have fun!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:35 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Just my 2¢

There are plenty of gas stations unless you really get off the beaten path. No real need to plan them out, waste of time.

With only a week or so you will pushing to get there and as others have said only to have to turn around and head home without really getting a chance to "experence" Sturgis.

When you can get two weeks or better yet three... then you'll have a great time.

I, personally, would rather do a ride like this, google map, ride some beautiful country, spend some time taking some photographs, kick back have a beer and enjoy yourself.

Perhaps you've been there but Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Natural Bridges, Moki Dugway, Monument Valley and Grand Canyon that my friend, is one hell of a memorable ride...

Not saying Stugis is not worth the ride, just that is deserves more than you will be able to give it with a week available. Hell, I've been seven times, never stayed there less that four nights each time and I still have not seen all there is to see... IMHO

Just Sayin

Oh, and if you do ride my map make sure you get gas in Hanksville...

Last edited by 2002flstc; 01-10-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:56 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

If you're limited to 7 days, you really need to make tracks getting there and back. There are, of course, abundant fantastic roads between So. Cal. and Sturgis, but you don't have time to take them all in. You need to be able to spend AT LEAST three days in the Black Hills. As others have said, you could easily spend a week going, a week there, and a week returning by different roads. However, working within your limits I think you are going to be best served by taking the shortest, quickest, route there and then enjoying your time there.

How many miles are you comfortable riding in a day? You might need to do about 675 a day to get there in 2 days. Since part of that is across the Mojave in August, you know you'll need to get an early start.

Taking I-70 instead of I-80 will add about 75 miles overall, but I agree that it will be mileage well spent. Crossing Wyoming from Evanston to South Dakota is a bleak, windy, tiring ride. You'll enjoy the Rockies much more.

If there's any way you could squeeze in one more day, then your return trip could include the Beartooth Highway and Yellowstone. There's no question that's a great ride, but you can't do everything in one 7 day trip. You'll add about 300 miles to your journey going up there. Those are 300 great miles, to be sure, but again . . . you have limits.

Good luck with the trip.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 AM
MicOnti
Cruiser

Great insight! Problem is one of our older buds is an "Iron butt" so everyone else thinks they are. I think im gona work on extending the trip.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MicOnti
Great insight! Problem is one of our older buds is an "Iron butt" so everyone else thinks they are. I think im gona work on extending the trip.
That's a good idea!
You will not enjoy the rally, or even the ride if you are tired. Especially, the heat will wear you out faster during that time of year.
The more time the better, but I humbly say a minimum of 10 days will be an enjoyable trip.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 AM
jb13
Cruiser

Im in the OC and am headed to Sturgis 2012 as well- send me a PM

Old 02-14-2012, 05:12 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a GPS I use when travelling and can pull up a list of gas stations when needed. No need to try and map out ahead of time.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM
stanferd98
6th Gear
Default 3 days

I was looking at HD plan a ride looks like a straight route from Riverside Ca. is 1350 miles one way that about 400 + a day if you do it in 3 days, I was told by everyone in this area that you should figure on a 2 week trip so to spend some time at the rally too

Quick Reply: Riding SoCal to Sturgis 2012, need suggestions / trip advice