Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

UHaul 4X8 Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default UHaul 4X8 Trailer

Anybody have any experiences renting one of these? This is the 4x8 cargo trailer

I've heard that they don't travel too well at anything over 55 mph. Looks like its roomy enough for one Nighttrain and some accessories. UHaul charges $14.00/day.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

I think it would be a battle to get a Softail in there through those cargo doors. If the inside length is actually 96" and your bike is, say, 93", that doesn't leave much. Also, no front wheel chock on the floor (if there were one I'd doubt you could close the doors with bike in there) and I'm wondering what the tie down points look like inside.

I wouldn't do it. Is this just a 1-time need for a trailer, like a move? If so why not just use their motorcycle trailer and just wash your bike when you get there? FWIW I have a 6x10 open trailer that I use for my FLHT once in a while and I would consider that to be the minimum.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:29 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I have rented one and was quite surprised at how well it pulled. It was pulled by a chevy tahoe. I guess it was in the draft of the tahoe, therefore gas milage was down only slightly. The trailer was not loaded heavily, but I don't know about getting a motorcycle in it.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm, yeah I never thought about here not being a front wheel chock mounted in there and you're probably right, I'll bet the tie down spots suck. Thanks, I'm gonna stop in at UHaul and surf around the net a bit for some better options

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 06-01-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:36 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Consider too, what your pulling it with. They are heavy duty trailers for a 4x8, plus your bike. What works in western MA. or Iowa is not the same as the Rockies.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:55 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

I just rented this trailer for moving furniture recently. They are also available in various larger sizes like 8x6, 10x6, etc.. There are tie down points on both trailer walls at the very front and back of the trailer. You need to provide your own tie down straps though. Only issue is there is no ramp to make loading and unloading easy. UHaul does however rent motorcycle specific trailers with ramps and wheel chocks for the same price or even less however they are uncovered. See www.uhaul.com

Old 05-30-2013, 03:55 AM
Casket32
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I moved two bikes in a 6x12, plus two lifts from MD to florida, using two straps each on the bikes. 06 Dyna, 99 sporster. They never moved at all. Not even a little. I did not have a "chalk" as half the inbreeds call it here, nor did I have a "chock." I simply strapped each bike down in the corners, with 1.5 inch straps, completely compressing the forks, and they never ever moved. Getting ready to make the same move in reverse, only with a 98 Ultra classic, and the 99 sportster..I will do the same thing for them, cept i will throw an extra on the ultra classic, in the rear just because its a bit heavier. Same 6x12 trailer.

Listen, it will work out just fine, dont let these guys on here flip you out. The same people that are telling you this are the same people that spend OODLES of money at the dealership, because "it has to be harley branded", then tell you to goto harbor freight to get a "chock".

If you need any help with the securing, I am getting the trailer tommorrow, once I get the bikes in there (using the lifts to roll them in), I will snap a few pictures, so you can see how secure they are. I will also snap a few when I get home (over 1000 miles) to show they have not moved.

I have been hauling bikes for 20 years, and have NEVER had a problem doing it this way.

Let me know if you need any help man

Old 05-31-2013, 10:51 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,143 Likes on 12,208 Posts

I've used the U-haul motorcycle trailers. They are cheap and work well. It takes the guesswork out of it. Yes, it's uncovered, but that didn't seem any different to me than just riding the bike - i.e. either way it's exposed to the elements. They are a bit heavy though. My minivan did suffer quite a drop in mpg. The last one I rented blew a tire. Took about 2.5 hours to get back on the road but Uhaul did get on it as soon as we called.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

Also...those don't come with ramps so you will need to purchase one or just lift this bike up and toss it in!

Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 AM
RoadMonkey
Tourer

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I have rented one and was quite surprised at how well it pulled. It was pulled by a chevy tahoe. I guess it was in the draft of the tahoe, therefore gas milage was down only slightly. The trailer was not loaded heavily, but I don't know about getting a motorcycle in it.
same here for me.. exactly

Quick Reply: UHaul 4X8 Trailer