Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Coast Ride Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012 | 02:29 AM
aussieonroute66
|
Intermediate
Default West Coast Ride Suggestions

Seasons Greeting to my US friends from downunder.

In July 2010 I rode (with 3 other aussies) 6,000 miles from New York to Los Angeles over 30 days and the route was developed with input from 36 people on this forum and was without the best ride of my life !!!!!

We are all heading back to the US in July 2013 (this time with our brides) to ride the West Coast over 2-3 weeks so I was hoping to secure input and suggestions for this ride.

The current thoughts are to fly into Los Angeles, head up the weat coast to the top or Oregon or Washington, across to Idaho and head back down through the east side of Oregon and California states to San Diego and back up to LA.

Look forward to your suggestions

Old 01-03-2012 | 03:11 AM
porterjet
Tourer

Welcome to California mate.
I guess the obvious route from LA would be north on Ca. 1 and US 101. Other than that there are only about 400 really good roads along your general route. Unless time gets to be a problem avoid the major interstate freeways, there are some very good motorcycle routes across the Sierra Nevada and Cascade mountain ranges.
How much sight seeing do you want to do?
Hearst Castle takes about half a day and requires tickets well in advance but is a good stop. Stay in one of the local motels just south of the Castle, plan on 3 or 4 hours from there to Monterey/Carmel including lunch at Ragged Point. That will take you along the famous Big Sur part of Ca. 1. Gas is few and far between along this stretch.
Other than that avoid the big cities during rush hour and drive on the right.

http://www.hearstcastle.org/
http://www.dot.ca.gov/ Check the road conditions, if it rains a lot Hwy 1 sometimes is closed for a few months during the spring and summer due to washouts.

Old 01-03-2012 | 02:44 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior

If you're going across Washington to Idaho, keep going at least until you get to Glacier National Park and ride the Going to the Sun Road. Then head south through Missoula to Lolo and take Highway 12 west to Kooksia. Those two roads are on the top ten lists of almost everyone who has ridden them -- top 5 for most people.

Old 01-03-2012 | 08:32 PM
Jerry_Joe
2nd Gear

hope one day I can ride on that way.

by the way, I donot know way I can't find the post I sent, please email me Finch. jerry_joe777@hotmail.com

Old 01-08-2012 | 11:31 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Default Roads 2 Ride

Check out a site called pashnit dot com. There is some serious map work there most of it on california.

Russ

Old 01-09-2012 | 11:43 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
If you're going across Washington to Idaho, keep going at least until you get to Glacier National Park and ride the Going to the Sun Road. Then head south through Missoula to Lolo and take Highway 12 west to Kooksia. Those two roads are on the top ten lists of almost everyone who has ridden them -- top 5 for most people.
Couldn't agree more if you take HWY 101 all the way up the Coast take a ferry at Port Townsen WA then HWY 20 east the North Cascade HWY and stay on HWY 20 east across WA to Newport WA then HWY 2 into White Fish MT .Do the HWY to the Sun and return west on Lolo Pass HWY 12 into Lewiston ID .Then into eastern Oregon see Crater lake then south into CA.