Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tips on riding the Back of the Dragon in VA

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:41 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tips on riding the Back of the Dragon in VA

Will be heading to the Smokies again this summer but want to take a side trip and ride what the locals in SW Virgina call the Back of the Dragon. I will probably get on in Beckley, WV and take route 16 all the way to Marion, VA. Looks to be about 123 miles, and crosses 3 mountain ranges. Mapquest says it will take close to 4 hours. Any suggestions on places to stay and things to see along that route? Once in Marion we'll take 16 SE until we can connect with the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:57 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're in or near Bristol, TN (or VA - the city of Bristol sits in both states)get on U.S. 421 south and head for Mountain City TN. It's a 33 mile ride that takes a little more than an hour. Best mountain ride I've been on. Now I'm no mountain ridin' expert, but I do know fun and exiting and this one is full of both. Oh yeah, there's a couple of "yee haws" as well as "oh sh*ts too. In my opinion, it's better than the Dragon. I've run the Dragon twice along with the surrounding areas, which are great, but expand your horizons and try this one. Someone on this forum has a name for the road, but I can't remember what they called it. Can someone chime in here??

Old 12-26-2011, 11:01 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It's called The Snake, isn't it? I rode it this summer - and yeah, it's more challenging than The Dragon, in my opinion. And, it's not as well known, so there's a lot less traffic. If you get a chance, ride it.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:04 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are a couple of links to info about The Snake:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/tn_us421.html

http://www.421thesnake.com/

Old 12-27-2011, 01:20 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the links FloridaFLHX. I first heard about the back of the dragon when I stopped at the Harley dealer in Bristol last year on the way home from Maggie Valley. The girl there ask where we were from and if we had riden the back of the dragon in SW VA. Later in the summer I read an article in the Blue Rdige Country magazine I subscribe to. The mag article, by a biker, spoke of the road crossing 3 mountain ranges. I enjoy planning my summer rides when it is too cold outside to ride the scooter.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,

Back of the Dragon and The Snake are two different roads.

In the last year, road them both - recommend them both.

BTW - here is a restaurant a few miles from Back of the Dragon
http://www.cuzs.us/

Old 12-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to head down to the "Back of the Dragon" this year after the Ride to the Wall in DC. Just to give you some information, I made a ride plan that may interest you. You could do part of it during your trip. It includes "Back of the Dragon", "The Snake", and "The Diamondback". Some of the connecting roads are roads I found in MadMaps and a motorcycle ride guide for West Virginia. If you need help with the locations of the three rides, let me know and I can note the sections on the ride plan.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...0&locale=en_US

Click on the "View or Edit Ride Plan" and you can zoom in for details.

Also, I have a question for those familiar with "The Snake". Will we be missing much if we only ride that part of "The Snake" between Mountain City and Shady Valley? I was wanting to turn northeast and go up 133 instead of taking "The Snake" the rest of the way towards Bristol.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:34 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

133 to Damascus is a good ride. East 58 from Damascus is a great ride. Its called "the Crooked Trail" for a good reason. Will take you to 16 south of Marion VA.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 466 Likes on 192 Posts

Here's a link. This ride IMHO is one of the best rides in SW VA and NE TN. I've road all of them many times and you will not be disappointed.
http://backofthedragon.com/

Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again Duraglide for the additional information. We plan to use it all!

Quick Reply: Tips on riding the Back of the Dragon in VA