Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

jackson hole to yellowstone to beartooth pass to red lodge, mt.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DSnoopy
No bad way around Yellowstone and Bear Tooth to Red Lodge. Every road is awesome. I am not familiar with much between there and Sturgis though, other than Custard and the Black Hills obviously. Going to hit plains one way or another.

FYI - This was Bear Tooth on the 3rd weekend of June last year:

Did you ever worry about that guy's Rineharts starting an Avalanche???

Old 12-25-2011, 01:21 AM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I liked the West side of Going to the Sun better than the East side. Rode the whole thing once, then camped at West Glacier and rode Apgar to Logan Pass several times. Liked it so well I stayed an extra week. By the time i got down to Yellowstone, Bear Tooth and Chief Joseph were closed. Oh well, guess I'll just hafta go again.

Watch closing times. Glacier often closes before the end of September, and Bear Tooth and Chief Joseph were closed by October 12, 2011. June to September does not give you much of a window without crossing the Texas plains in the middle of summer. You are from South Texas? Dont have to tell you what it is like in Lubbock in July. 115 degrees in the shade is like riding through a blast furnace.

Dont short the Black Hills of S. Dakota. Riding through Rapid City on I-90 you will not think it is worth more than an over-night to say you 'been there, but get off into Spearfish Canyon or Iron Mt. Road and you will want to stay a week. Not to mention, there are some really cute bar maids in Sturgis.

Attached Thumbnails jackson hole to yellowstone to beartooth pass to red lodge, mt.-gts2_rsz.jpg  

Last edited by Fireax; 12-25-2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Attach Picture
Old 12-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If you are headed north from Jackson, when you get to Moose jct. turn left on Teton Park road. This will take you up close to the Tetons and around Jenny Lake -very nice ride and dumps out on your originial road. Yellowstone is very large and has many things to see, you could spend days just there, your call.
As said, Beartooth and Cheif Josephs hwy are must sees. And hwy 14 is good but Alt 14 over the Bighorn Range is a GREAT ride. Just south of Sheridan you can do I-90e or hwy 14 to Gillette. I was told 14 is where "Dances with Wolves" was filmed. It is a nice ride also, just gas up before heading out, its all just green pasture land. If you take I-90 across those miles are the extra large size.
Devils tower is also a must see imo, and then you in Sturgis which is another chapter itself. Take a camera with lots of memory!
If you go towards Glacier, I enjoyed the Flathead Lake area. Glacier NP- Going to the sun road is excellent.

Last edited by Mikey 1450; 12-25-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:09 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Did you ever worry about that guy's Rineharts starting an Avalanche???
LOL - My pipe are louder.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:08 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by DBlass
I have done the Missoula to GNP and Jackson to Yellowstone to Missoula on two different trips. Jackson to Yellowstone is a great ride but get off the main highway and go into the park to the west. It's slower but less traffic and it is closer to the mountains. From Yellowstone, you have to go northwest to get to GNP. I took the Ennis/Viginia City route and really enjoyed it. Eventually, you are likely to get to Missoula. I recommend going east just before Missoula on MT200 to MT83 north through Seely Lake. The road and scenery are pure Montana. MT83 hooks back up with US93 and US2 (the road to GNP) up in Kalispell. Remember that the Rockies angle to the northwest so if you stay too far east the scenery is less than thrilling.
I definitely agree that you want to ride Hwy 83. We've done that on our return from the GNP area. We rode 93 north, then 83 south. I don't think you want to miss either road.

I will say, however, that even away from the Rockies I find the Montana scenery quite thrilling. Those wide open plains are really something.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:32 PM
kharvill
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jackson Hole to Sturgis 2012 - Need Advice

I've been tasked with routing a group from Jackson Hole to Sturgis and back for this year's rally. Looking for guidance on the best directions and where the best stopover would be in Yellowstone. Any advice on the roundtrip directions would be awesome. Accommodations outside of Sturgis are set, just need an idea on where we would enter and overnight in Yellowstone along with routing throughout?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

The problem is it is all great riding and it is hard to tell you which roads are the best.
I also would head North out of Jackson and go like others have said around Jenny lake.
North into Yellowstone and see what you want then head out the North East entrance/Exit to Cooke City. This will take you through Lamar Valley lots of wildlife.
Continue to 212 and over the bear tooth to Red lodge. Go whatever road you want to GNP East entrance take Going to Sun Road back to the West entrance and then do take the Seeley Lake Road back South on you way back from Glacier. I would pick up 212 back through Red Lodge and the Bear tooth the other direction and take the remainder of the Chief Joseph back to Cody. Then 14 up over the Big Horns to Sheridan make sure you go thru Shell. Then either 90 or whatever you want to take to Devils tower and on the Sturgis. I personally have traveled this route in different segments and it is beautiful which ever way you go.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Take 14 out of Yellowstone into Cody. From Cody take Chief Joseph Hwy to Beartooth Pass and the Pass to Red Lodge . Jump across to 72 and back to Cody. The little road from Red Lodge to 72 is a nice little road, paved and in good shape the last time I was over it. Take 14A from Cody through the Big Horns past the Medicine Wheel (stop and see) and into Sheridan. From Sheridan North to Custer Battlefield.

Our last trip we took 212 from Custer Battlefield to Belle Fourche and right in to Sturgis.

If you are going to see most of what's worth seeing in the area, you will probably have to do a little backtracking.

Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody is worth the 6 or so hours it takes to see it all. Medicine Wheel in the Big Horns is interesting. You will need a couple of hours at the Custer Battlefield.

Bill

Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

You have it all here from what people have said. I have been on all these roads and they are spectacular. Enjoy

Old 06-13-2012, 05:18 PM
hd for life 68
Novice

I rode Yellowstone, Beartooth and Chief Joseph in 2010 and 2011. You can never go wrong in either place. Some of the best scenery in the west!

Quick Reply: jackson hole to yellowstone to beartooth pass to red lodge, mt.