Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Southern NH to BRP -- trip tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Southern NH to BRP -- trip tips

Wife and I are considering a ride to BRP from Salem NH area and were wondering if others have made the trip and what recommended roads/places to stay there are along the way to and from. I have a fair amount of info on the parkway and surrounds (always take recommendations and must see/do's -- or the other side -- don't waste time here). We do not want to ride the highways down (especially 495 -- the Pike etc).

What are the best routes, places to stay and your best Parkway ideas??

Thanks

Old 12-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I hesitated to post this, but seeing you've gotten no replies yet....

Why avoid the interstate highway? You'll get their twice as fast, and the intersates are safer than backroads. I google mapped the difference in travel time, and it was unbelielevable!
If you take the interstates you will have 2 extra days on the BRP.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I can't help you for the whole trip, but we did the BRP last year and took 81 out of Harrisburg, Pa. It's a pretty good road and takes you right to the BRP.

Maybe someone else can help you with the best route from NH to Harrisburg.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:35 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I always take route 340 out of Frederick, Md. 340 is mostly 2-lane and is a nice ride and will take oyu all the way to Waynesboro where the BRP starts on the north end. i 81 is but by noon the truck traffic gets heavy and south of Lexington,, VA the trucks have a hard time making it over the hills. There is a road from Bristol VA that crosses 3 mountain ranges going into WV, I think it is rt 60. The locals call it the back of the dragon. I plan to ride that one next summer on my way south. If you take 340 just before you cross out of WV in VA at Berryville there is a unique restaurant called John's that sits right on 340. Great food and the decor is outstanding if you like going back in tme 40 years. I'm sure you know the BRP is 460+ miles long with speed limts 35-45. You need a min of 2-3 days just for the parkway. Must stops on the BRP are Grandfather Mountain and Mount Mitchel. Once you get south of Ashville it is a long way between gas stops as you have to go down off the mountain (BRP). An 18 mile trip down the mountain last year took 45 minutes because of the switchbacks. Spent a night in Boone last year which is only 4 miles from Grandfather Mt.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:38 PM
DaveWilliams
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted the following in another thread. The BRP, while pretty, can be kind of VERY easy riding. If you want some more technical stuff....

----------

Having spent many hrs riding the BRP, my favorite piece of advise is to ride the side roads that traverse the east and west sides up to the spine of the BRP. This is where the twisties are and some really cool riding. Rt 56, 33, etc. come to mind.

Here's a map with a pretty rad section.
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=ty...=v&mra=ls&z=12

Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 PM
DaveWilliams
Advanced

I did a quick sketch on a map. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:54 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Folks -- Thanks for the responses to date!!

Thundermug -- I hear ya on the time saving but after the 100th Big Rig flies by in the first hour on 495S my wife is not going to be pumped for the big ride -- just figured on somethnig with a bit less traffic and a bit more of a view on the way down (probably will haul *** on the way home -- then again...)

duecedog -- I will google that section and take a look, maybe a mix of a bit of highway to that area might do the trick

CarrollB -- Yeah, we were thinking of making a ~9 day journey from home to there and back. We would like to do Skyline through the BRP -- maybe a day or so down by the dragon (I am not sure the dragon itself is a must -- I just picture an overly populated speeding zone but what do I know) and back home maybe taking bits of adventure off the BRP -- probably biting off more than is reality but what the hell, we can always trim something off if we fall in love with a particular area. I would also like to see that Wheels through Time

DaveWilliams -- Thanks for the awesome maps!! I also bought that set of maps from "America Rides" which give some great side routes. Going to be tough to pick but we can always come back for more if we like it (and I hear nothing but good things about the area).

Any recommended places to stay down there near/on the BRP and food for sure.

I kind of figure two days down, two home, gives us five(ish) days on Skyline/BRP/Cherohala area.

Also, what do we avoid for sure???

Thanks All

Old 01-01-2012, 04:20 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

These are some must haves on the list...
Just north of Mt. Mitchell is hiway 80. go towards Marion, however once it flattens out turn around.
Just south of Asheville, hiway 276 either direction.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 AM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davedyna
Wife and I are considering a ride to BRP from Salem NH area and were wondering if others have made the trip and what recommended roads/places to stay there are along the way to and from. I have a fair amount of info on the parkway and surrounds (always take recommendations and must see/do's -- or the other side -- don't waste time here). We do not want to ride the highways down (especially 495 -- the Pike etc).

What are the best routes, places to stay and your best Parkway ideas??

Thanks
Dave, Not sure how far to the west you want to go before heading to the beginning of the parkway, but last year when returning from Maine we stopped at the Woodstock Museum in southern New York (if that interests you, plan to spend 4 hours minimum) and then rode route 6 over to the norther tip of New Jersey and picked up 521. We then followed all the various routes down the eastern side of the Delaware River until we crossed in to PA at Rieglesville (sp?). We REALLY enjoyed that stretch of road as it has some beautiful river views and some unique small towns. We then rode west to Gettysburg and spent the day there before heading south to catch the parkway.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 AM
BikerPaul
Cruiser
Default Brp

Mount Pisgah has fabulous rooms right on the parkway, but you must reserve soon and pay up front. I like the restaurant there as well.

I don't care for the Skyline Drive much;35 mph, heavy enforcement, not much to see.

Quick Reply: Southern NH to BRP -- trip tips