Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Thinking of riding out to California. Where would you go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Highway 101 South to North. LA to SF. Awesome ride.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Come over to San Luis Obispo and pick up the hwy 1 in Morro Bay and take it up to Monteray!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:03 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Get on Highway 49 somewhere in the southern part around Yosemite and take it all the way north in the springtime it is an awesome bike road and the scenery is beautiful. You ride through the Gold Country, you won't be sorry.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 PM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have lived in California all of my 61+ years and have been riding motorcycles for all but the first 15 years of it. As long as you avoid the major Interstate freeways, it's all good. From the coastal route of the 1 and most of the 101 to the national parks, to the ride through Death Valley and the central valley of California, it's all good. The area around Mt. Shasta in the North, Borego Desert in the South, Palomar Mtn., Sunrise Hwy. at Mt. Laguna, Julian for their great Apple pies, Joshua Tree, Lake Tahoe, Bodega Hwy, etc. etc. Just about anywhere outside of the major metro areas is good. Got an iPhone/ iPad? Check out the app "Greatest Road" and you will find all sorts of great short and long runs all over the state and more.

I do agree with others though, wait until spring or summer. Death Valley, spring for best desert flowers (same with other deserts in CA). Most anywhere else, spring or summer or early fall for best visits. Although I ride in all seasons here, most people don't like to vacation/ride in areas where there is a possibility of rain or coldness, or in some areas, snow.

Please enjoy when you come and let us know how you liked your visit afterwords (with lots of pictures too).

Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 PM
BornLoser
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Dreaming

Originally Posted by 88 Paladin
Anywhere along the coast above San Francisco is my favorite. Ride across the Golden Gate bridge (no toll South to North),great scenery.
Scenery so great it's worth stoppin. Lucky for you they have a very nice rest area at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge, on the southeast side of the bridge. The view at that rest stop is spectacular. The vibe is great in that you'll hear a lot of different languages spoken by pedestrians breezing by thanks to all the tourist activity. The rest area at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge is one of my favorite areas to hang out for an hour or so and watch people and traffic go over the bridge and just take it, the great scenery, all in. Some of the cars and bikes that go over the Golden Gate constitute eye candy in the eyes of an aficionado that likes those things which is why I appreciate that spot. If you're a backseat passenger in a car just along for the ride and you have permission from your doctor to smoke medical marijuana then the rest spot on the southeast side of the Golden Gate Bridge is the place for you to roll one up. Medical marijuana is legal in California. There are plenty of medical marijuana dispensaries in San Francisco. Enjoy your trip !

Last edited by BornLoser; 12-14-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Headcockedsideways
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions guys! Keep em coming!

I think I will begin my trip in early May. I should probably target one certain area as I want to check out the employment situation out there (prolly in Southern CA). I might decide to even move out there if I could get me a job and find a good church!

Jeff

Old 12-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pacific Coast Hiway.... Start out just north of LA and go north to Coose Bay. Pick up U.S. 99 (Redwood Highway) to the Oregon Caves.....Then go back to Monterey Bay area to hang out, plan a layover in Santa Cruz/Capitola area. You'll like it a lot!

All that area from Santa Cruz south to Big Sur is "killer" riding!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM
LoLo
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Come in April and plan to ride NoCal first and head South. end up in SoCal around April 23. enjoy for 2 days then head to Laughlin (3-4hr ride)on the 25th - 29 for the Annual Laughlin River Run. Great way to wrap up a trip to Cali.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

May is nice. Deserts are comfortable then.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
Crater Lake, Death Valley, Vegas,
I grew up a few miles south of the Crater Lake/Diamond Lake area....Rode the Pi$$ out of a BSA Lightning all around that place!! Good riding.

Quick Reply: Thinking of riding out to California. Where would you go?