Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Route 66 - June 2012

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:27 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Route 66 - June 2012

I plan to ride the Route 66 next summer. My plan is I will arrive Chicago on the early of 3rd week of June, 2012.
I plan to spend around 10 days from Chicago to Santa Monica, CA.
Anyone has a similar plan, we can plan tag along, if you want to. Let me know
I hope that I can make it all the way.
Wish me luck!

Last edited by jackhis; 12-09-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am making the same trip, departing NJ for Chicago on 25 May 2012. We are taking 17 days to make the trip to Santa Monica, with the last two-three days an opportunity to explore San Diego and the surrounding area. We are shipping the bikes back to NJ and flying home due to time restrictions. I downloaded the GPS coordinates for each state, have the map set, and the EZ66 Guide for travellers.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 AM
FinallyRidin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a trip my wife and I plan on doing we have been research just haven't set the date yet.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:12 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wingman05
I am making the same trip, departing NJ for Chicago on 25 May 2012. We are taking 17 days to make the trip to Santa Monica, with the last two-three days an opportunity to explore San Diego and the surrounding area. We are shipping the bikes back to NJ and flying home due to time restrictions. I downloaded the GPS coordinates for each state, have the map set, and the EZ66 Guide for travellers.
Wish you have a wonderful trip!

Originally Posted by FinallyRidin
This is a trip my wife and I plan on doing we have been research just haven't set the date yet.
I was thinking, planning for many years, then last year, one of my friends and I decided to try out in July, 2011. After a few hundred miles, my friend couldn't handle the heat (we had bad heat waves last year), so he quit.
I felt bad, so I changed course to grand tetan, and Yellowstone.
This time, I will try again. If there is no one tag along, I will do it alone.
I pick June, because the temperature is lower, and it should be more pleasant to cross Mojave desert.
Set a day, and go!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
FinallyRidin
Advanced

Good luck to you and wishing you a great trip. A couple years ago we traveled in 100 plus degree temps on the way to the mountains. It was worth it once we got there. Did a trip to Tennessee last year during a heat wave? Also a great time.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Safe journey to you too, Jackhis!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:56 AM
88 Paladin
Cruiser

Stay in Kingman AZ. and plan to cross the Mojave at daybreak that will get you to Barstow Ca. in several hours before it gets to hot. Needles Ca. can get well over 100 degrees in June. Also if you have time visit the Grand Canyon only 80 mi north of Flagstaff AZ. Overall June is a good month to cross the Southwest,before the monsoon rains begin.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:43 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wingman05
Safe journey to you too, Jackhis!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 88 Paladin
Stay in Kingman AZ. and plan to cross the Mojave at daybreak that will get you to Barstow Ca. in several hours before it gets to hot. Needles Ca. can get well over 100 degrees in June. Also if you have time visit the Grand Canyon only 80 mi north of Flagstaff AZ. Overall June is a good month to cross the Southwest,before the monsoon rains begin.
Thanks for the tips.
I still remember the time I tried to cross the Mojave at night (departing at 12 am), and the temperature was over 100 degrees, but the it dropped down to low 60 on the other side.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:58 PM
88 Paladin
Cruiser

Right,that Colorado River Valley gets hot and stays hot through most of the night.
Laughlin NV. is another choice to spend the night,more to do and better food,although a bit warmer.Try to arrive late afternoon, and leave early AM. You can ride old 66 from Seligman AZ to Kingman through Oatman and then to Bullhead City.Laughlin is right across the river.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Thanks much for the tips.
I have to do little more research on this one. I really hate to cross the Mojave.
Oh well!

BTW.: Has anyone used a GPS file name Route 66 attraction and Ready2go for Garmin Zumo?
Thanks for any info.

Quick Reply: Route 66 - June 2012