Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Route 66 - June 2012

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:57 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billnourse
Get this book before your trip. This guy is one of the formost authorities on riding Rt. 66. He was hired by HD as a guide when we made this trip as a HD sponsored ride. If you really want to experience the trip, don't try for more than about 250 miles a day. There is a lot to see.

Bill
Thanks much for the info.

Originally Posted by hoethree
Route 66 is an "urban legend" in my opinion. I rode it three years ago. Boring ride for the most part. Just fly to Albuquerque and ride west from here and you will "see" most of whats hardly left. If I had the time and money you are going to spend I would plan another route and destination. You can spend a month touring Colorado and Utah and will not be disappointed. JMHO.
Thanks for the tip.
I have been crossing the country yearly (FL-CA-FL) in the last 15 years, and I still keep riding as long as I can.
So many places to see in this wonderful country, so there is no reason why I should skip the Route 66. I will find out after this trip.
I am originally from UT, so I know much about this region.
Originally Posted by ssmith579
June can get really hot through the desert. April/ May is a much better time. There's a reason the Laughlin River Run is late April.
You are right, but I have no choice. That is the best time that I can have.
Work is suck sometimes, but having a job is lucky in this time of economy, so I have no complain.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:11 PM
ssmith579
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, I have to agree with that!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:42 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased and downloaded the Route 66 attractions and Ready2go GPS file into my Garmin 660.

I depart from New Jersey to Chicago on 25 May to begin the trip west.

After arriving at Santa Monica Pier, we plan to head south to San Diego for a day or two, then east to Vegas, and I-10 to New Orleans before heading home.

17 Days and over 7,000 miles on the road!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wingman05
I purchased and downloaded the Route 66 attractions and Ready2go GPS file into my Garmin 660.

I depart from New Jersey to Chicago on 25 May to begin the trip west.

After arriving at Santa Monica Pier, we plan to head south to San Diego for a day or two, then east to Vegas, and I-10 to New Orleans before heading home.

17 Days and over 7,000 miles on the road!
Your plan is very similar to mine, ready2go GPS file, but I probably stop at Las Vegas first, keep riding to Santa Monica, then North to San Jose.
On the way home, I very much will ride through Yosemite, YellowStone, Tetan, maybe the badland, then go from there.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:44 PM
wingman05
Road Captain

Jackhis,
I did Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Rocky Mountain National Parks in 2010. I also did the Beartooth Highway in 2010, which is a road everyone should put on their bucket list. I have not done the lower southwest states yet, which is why I chose that route for my return east.
Safe Trip!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:01 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Jackhis,
I did Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Rocky Mountain National Parks in 2010. I also did the Beartooth Highway in 2010, which is a road everyone should put on their bucket list. I have not done the lower southwest states yet, which is why I chose that route for my return east.
Safe Trip!
Thanks much!
My supposed-to-be riding partner has withdrawn out of the plan, as his son has a new baby.
I will wander the whole route by myself, and I hope I can make all the way this time.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:43 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Jackhis,
Safe Trip!
Your trip is coming closer!
Let me know how that Ready2go GPS files work.
I am counting down my big day, too.

Last edited by jackhis; 05-02-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 AM
wingman05
Road Captain

Jackhis,

32 days to departure! Taking two days to reach Chicago, then Starting Route 66 west on 27 May. I am a little concerned with the unusual and extreme weather patterns across the country, but i guess that's part of the adventure.

We are stopping at Williams, AZ and taking the steam engine train up to the southern rim of the Grand Canyon. We will see the northern rim on our return trip - after leaving Las Vegas. I picked up a couple of Route 66 DVDs by Michael Wallis which are interesting and pretty much outlines all the "must see" attractions state-bystate along the way. I also just purchased a GO-PRO Hero II HD helmet video camera so I can record some of the ride. I will send you a PM with my itinerary.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:55 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Jackhis,

32 days to departure! Taking two days to reach Chicago, then Starting Route 66 west on 27 May. I am a little concerned with the unusual and extreme weather patterns across the country, but i guess that's part of the adventure.

We are stopping at Williams, AZ and taking the steam engine train up to the southern rim of the Grand Canyon. We will see the northern rim on our return trip - after leaving Las Vegas. I picked up a couple of Route 66 DVDs by Michael Wallis which are interesting and pretty much outlines all the "must see" attractions state-bystate along the way. I also just purchased a GO-PRO Hero II HD helmet video camera so I can record some of the ride. I will send you a PM with my itinerary.
Thanks much Steve!
That will be helpful, as I am very much on my own alone on this trip.
Well! I am always riding alone anyway.
Nick

Old 05-07-2012, 08:19 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

35 more days!
Damn, time is standing still, and I still have many things to prepare.

Quick Reply: Route 66 - June 2012