Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Alaska Bound July 2012

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Pmariner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alaska Bound July 2012

Heading from Conn. to Alaska end of July, thru August. Intend to do a combination of motel and camping. For those who have done this trip in the last couple years with the lousy economy how difficult was it to get a motel room on short notice. As you know traveling by M/C with weather conditions its difficult to make and meet reservations when made in advance. My route will be thru the plains in Canada into Alberta and into BC and then Alaska. Rte. will be thru Yellowhead Hwy, Icefields Pkwy., Alaska Highway and Cassiar Hwy. Any and all input welcome on good places to stay whether motels or campsites and places to avoid. One more thing. Are the mosquitos as bad as they say.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Check out this guy's blog on his ride from Dallas to Alaska and the Arctic Circle. It's well written with great pics and maybe some info to help you plan your trip.

http://www.alaskapade.com/

Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you get to the canadian border...the crossing guards will check your criminal background. if you have had a DWI or other problems in the past, they may not allow you into the country. just felt that i should mention this for anyone thinking of going into canada.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:21 AM
nighttrainak
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@PMariner. Yes, the mosquitos are as bad as everyone says, especially when you get here to Alaska. Without a doubt, the most beautiful ride you'll ever make is the trip north out of Prince George, BC. My two pieces of advice... 1) If you have the chance, stop for gas every place you can... 2) Bring an extra (dark) bed sheet. Many of my brothers who make the trip have trouble adjusting to daylight for 20 hours a day. End of July shouldn't be too bad, however, during the summer here in Alaska, daylight is up to 23 hours a day.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:54 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
when you get to the canadian border...the crossing guards will check your criminal background. if you have had a DWI or other problems in the past, they may not allow you into the country. just felt that i should mention this for anyone thinking of going into canada.
I'd say just be prepared to be truthful. I rode up to British Columbia twice this summer and on one occasion the Canadian officer asked for my passport. I could tell by the questions she asked that once my passport was scanned a pretty detailed file came up on her screen. She asked a lot of questions and checked her data as I answered.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Better get started on hotel reservations right now. Also, have a good quality tent for your 'Plan B' (if things fall apart at the hotel). The link from the Dallas rider is a great one to read. I think he did a great job explaining all that can happen on the way up/down...including flats, bad gas, etc.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Pmariner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input. Shouldn't be a problem crossing border. No criminal history .Went up to Nova Scotia this past summer. Getting into Canada was a breeze. It's coming back into the US where they ask a hundred questions. I know they have the info about you because they asked me one question which they obviously knew the answer too. When I gave the guy the answer he immediately knew stopped asking ? and said have a nice day. My main concern is getting a motel in the touristy areas in Alaska on such short notice. I bought a Kelty Gunnison tent for Nova Scotia.Worked out real well. One thing I have to say about the Canadians. They have real nice provincial parks that are well maintained and they have showers. It would be nice to sleep in a bed every 3-4 days though. I quess I'll seen when I get there. Anybody with more input on this type of trip would be apprecoated.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:11 AM
AKHD
Tourer

Cool. I've given out info to a fair number of riders coming up for the past number of years over on ADVrider.com and love sharing this photo:

IF you start to grow weary of riding while in British Columbia Canada, think about riding on into Prince Rupert BC and catching the ferry up to Haines AK for a 2 day respite. And if you book r/t you, the vehicle operator, ride for free. IMO the roads in and out of Prince Rupert, Haines, and/or Skagway are among the best up here. There's a thread about riding our ferries in my sig line.

Here's a GREAT m/c only campground in Tok, AK called http://www.thompsonseaglesclaw.com/

And there's free camping with shower at our Harley shop here in Anchorage.

You're welcome to check out my sig line for more info if you'd like.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:44 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Id personally would stay on the Alcan and not take the Cassiar. Gas stations are farther and fewer between than the Alcan and I have experienced bad gas along the route

Old 12-04-2011, 05:17 AM
AKHD
Tourer

Originally Posted by ynots
Id personally would stay on the Alcan and not take the Cassiar. Gas stations are farther and fewer between than the Alcan and I have experienced bad gas along the route
Most folks these days greatly prefer the Casiar tho you do get to visit Liard Hot Springs by staying on the Alcan.

Was the bad gas you got premium or regular? I've heard that some stations along the way sell so little premium that it doesn't get refreshed as often.

Mark H.

Quick Reply: Alaska Bound July 2012