Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Va to Key West...need some ideas from the people

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:54 AM
BobbyBouche
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Va to Key West...need some ideas from the people

Starting to get some plans started for May 2012. Here is what we have so far. Leave Northern Va on a Friday and not stopping until Daytona. Day 2 to Key West. Day 3 staying in Key West to eat & drink well. Day 4 to Clearwater. Day 5 to Panama City. Day 6 to New Orleans. From there we have 4 days left to get home (10 day trip). I really dont care if I get home on the last day in the evening (hopefully not too late but thats how it goes)....so here is where I need some southern advice.

1. Key West....best places to see and hangout? Of course we will see the spots that you have to when in Key West (Hogs Breath, Southern most point bouy, Sloppy Joes)...I tend to like the "hole in the wall" type places with fun people....need info on that. Also...where can I get great seafood and cold beer while sitting on a deck overlooking the water? Whats the best place?

2. Clearwater...is this a good place to ride to? Got a better suggestion in that area? Again...looking for a fun hangout and best place for some seafood on the water.

3. Panama City area.....same questions.

The only true "plan" we have is Key West and lots of fun (with lots of riding). Im open to any & all suggestions. We would like to get lots of miles during the ride but also dont want to feel like we flew past all the good stuff.

Thanks Everybody

Old 11-25-2011, 10:54 AM
toprat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default va to key west

Bobby, that is one hell of a trip you are planning. That is alot of time in the saddle between destinations. Hell, Daytona to Key west is a day long ride. The Tiki Bar in Islandmorada has great rum runners when you need a break. Key west is a hoot, do all the things you have listed and walk Duval St. all kinds of fun places to eat and drink. Key west to Clearwater is about 6.5-7 hrs. Im about an hour north of Clearwater, Frenchy's on Clearwater Beach, best rum runners around and good food directly on the beach. after that i havent got a clue. have fun and ride safe.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:00 AM
BobbyBouche
Advanced

Thanks bro.....thats the kind of info I am looking for. I know its lots of seat time which I am good with...but I also dont mind stopping at great places. Would Tampa be better than Clearwater? The 1st day from Va to Daytona will be the longest but its all good...get the longest day in first then we can chill the rest of the time. Will def take you advice. Thanks

Old 11-25-2011, 11:20 AM
williamfrog
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Leaving Pittsburgh after work April12 stopping in Baltimore to visit a niece then on to Key West. Plan on getting there April 17th 3 days .Heading to Fort Meyers route 41 thru the Everglades .Staying away from Clearwater have a pain in the neck sister-in-law there.Wife might what to stop if we get to near there. Be riding around down there for 2 1/2 weeks . I'll let them know your coming!

Old 11-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Heading there next spring myself. I wont get many miles per day though, I wont be touching the interstates and Ill be packing a tent and sleeping bag I have no time constraints though. Ill get there when I get there, stay there till I want to leave and get back whenever I get back

Old 11-25-2011, 01:35 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,432 Likes on 2,203 Posts

i would suggest switchin over to the Florida turnpike in ft.pierce on yer way down....take homestead ext. to homestead....they have us 1 finished into key largo now so not a bad ride....we prefer to take card sound road into key largo...it turns off to the left after the golden arches in homestead....

as for people watchin in Key West on duval st. we like fat tuesday's...have fun...ride safe...

Old 11-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I live in S. Florida and the advice you have gotten is all good. AIA through the keys is a beotch. Calculate how much time you think it will take and then allow double that amount.

The Tiki is a must stop. Keep your camera handy you will want it on the way through the keys.

In Key west hit Duval street. Most of the famous/infamous bars are all on Duval. Capt Tonys is a great bar and is 1/2 block off Duval and west of Sloppy Joes. I would also add the Schooner Wharf Bar as a must see if you like old time dives. It is a local and boater hang out, not typical tourist/Duval type bar. Leave Daytona early so you can get settled and still have time to see the sunset in the gulf at Mallory Square. The best spot to see the sunset is at the outside bar on the second floor of the Key West Hilton. You can see the street performers before and after. Catch Irish Kevins on Duval later. It always a great time.

Riding into Key West from Daytona will take all day. It won't leave you much time to see the town, especially if you are leaving the next morning. Leave Daytona early and hustle. The tip on the turnpike is spot on too. That will save you 30 minutes to an hour and drop you off right at the mouth of the keys.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

One island up from key west is Stock Island..There is a seafood restaurant called the Hog fish Bar and grill..This is where the locals go for seafood..good food..

Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 PM
BobbyBouche
Advanced

Thanks everyone. Your advice is gonna help a bunch. The Schooner sounds like the kind of place we will be looking for...and I figured Duval was gonna be the best for bars and people watching. I was told day 2 from Dayton to KW was gonna be a time consuming and slow...but worth the ride.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 PM
harleybob815
Supporter
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds awesome! Did Key West years ago but not on the scoot. For people watching go to the pier... sunset pier maybe?? All kinds of "unique" charachters to say the least. The Mel Fisher treasure exhibit from the Atocha was really cool, too. Enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Va to Key West...need some ideas from the people