Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Va to Key West...need some ideas from the people

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:19 PM
BobbyBouche
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep them coming people...I have 4 months to research all of these great places...thanks everyone.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:40 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,691 Likes on 2,736 Posts

I did this last winter..if you go from Daytona to Key West in one day, you will blow past tons of stuff-All the Keys are awesome all in their own way and there are lots of holes in the wall that you'll pass at 60mph..I will schedule more time when I do it again. HAVE FUN!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:05 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobbyBouche
Starting to get some plans started for May 2012. Here is what we have so far. Leave Northern Va on a Friday and not stopping until Daytona. Day 2 to Key West. Day 3 staying in Key West to eat & drink well. Day 4 to Clearwater. Day 5 to Panama City. Day 6 to New Orleans. From there we have 4 days left to get home (10 day trip).
From your town to key west is around 1200 miles, of course, it is doable, but you must be tired to enjoy key west.
Beware that Monroe county (the keys) is very strict on speeding. You will be riding 45 mph for many hours.
I hope you want to enjoy the ride, and as much attraction spots as possible, not gotta "get there as quick as I can".
Just a thought!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Uncle Salty
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I never found a "good" route to the Keys through south Florida. We have been down I -95 on the east coast a few times. The traffic on I-95 through Ft. Lauderdale and Miami was terrible both times we went that way. I went on the toll road one time and it seemed like I was stopping at a toll booth every 5 miles. It probably wasn't that often but seemed like it. Most of the time we go down I-75 and turn on hwy 27, then onto 997 to Homestead. When you get to Key Largo you still have about 2 1/2 to 4 hours to depending on traffic. Jack is correct about the cops, keep to the speed limit. The National Key Deer Refuge is on Big Pine Key and surrounding islands. Watch out for the pint size deer there. If you go through there in the evening, you may see the little deer just about anywhere. It's well marked with big signs and caution lights. I've never seen the huge iguanas on the road but there are plenty on the side of the road. I guess some folks let their pets go and now there are hundreds (probably thousands) of iguanas down there. Wouldn't want to hit them or the deer.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

The best route to the keys is the turnpike. It keeps you out of city traffic. In Dade County, a lot of the toll plazas have been closed and replaced with cameras that capture your plate number and send you a bill in the mail.

The turnpike dumps you off right at the mouth of the keys on A1A.

Once on A1A, just relax. You really can't make very good time with the traffic and 2 lane. Look for the passsing lanes (there are signs telling you they are comin up) to get past guys pulling their boats and granddad driving his motor home. A few of the bigger keys will have some 4 lane through them that you can jockey around slower traffic.

The turnpike in Dade County and A1A in the keys are great places for getting a ticket if you aren't careful. The longer bridges in the keys can look like drag strips for passing until you realize Monroe County's finest is at the other end of the bridge with his radar gun...

Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Poolguy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did see Alabama Jacks mentioned and wanna add that if you have time its a pretty cool stop. A "must stop" when I take a ride that way. Very biker friendly. Another couple cool watering holes are Gilberts on Key Largo, and Marker 88 in Islamorada. Also the ride across Tamiami trail is a very nice ride.

Last edited by Poolguy; 03-18-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-26-2012, 07:22 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be tempted to take the Lorton autotrain one way is about 200.00. Would be a cool trip the last 800 miles home