Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Gonna Do The Bun Burner 1500 Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Bigfeet17
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Denver Dave
Congrats Bigfeet! NOT an easy challenge. My question - what one bit of advice can you give to others preparing for a sore saddle challenge?

In my humble opinion, my #1 suggestion is get a comfortable seat. I have personally gone through three different seats now on the bike to finally find the one that works for me. My #2 suggestion would be to get highway pegs. I never understood their need (up until now my travel had been local commuting), but the ability to stretch out it is worth their weight in gold.

Bigfeet

Old 12-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Bigfeet17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Bigfeet hasn't replied yet on this thread so if you don't mind I will answer. Only one piece of advice is difficult. There are a few very important things that I would recommend. But if only one pice of advice is allowed I would say:

Get comfortable in the saddle. That doesn't mean get a new saddle. Small changes can make a difference. I use a stock Harley seat, cover it with lambs wool and then fold a very thin blanket (think cheap airline type) and put it down. With that set up and compression shorts on my butt comfort moves way down the worry list.

If you can't get comfortable in the saddle, the ride will be torture after 200-300 miles.

Send me a note or post if you want to make an attempt and discuss prep furtherI would be thrilled to help introduce a rider to the IBA.

EXACTLY! I had ridden a few hundred miles on the stock Harley seat, and then the Tallboy seat for the Fatboy. In about 200 - 250 miles I was in severe pain in my legs and butt. The seat I have now is heaven! I agree, you have to get the seat that works for you.

Bigfeet

Old 12-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Bigfeet17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Did you grab a receipt and witness at the 1,000 mile point to score a Saddle Sore also?

I actually did! I couldn't tell if I needed the extra witnesses or not, but figured it couldn't hurt. I got the two gals running the hotel to sign off. It was fun trying to explain it all to them that late at night. I am sure they had a good laugh once I departed.

Bigfeet