Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Heading to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011 | 01:00 AM
LadyFunbags
|
Cruiser
Default Heading to Alaska

We just booked our ferry to Alaska for this summer's road trip. We'll be getting on the ferry in Bellingham WA and taking the ferry up to Whittier AK. So, now we need some advice on where we should go while there. We are considering heading up to Denali and then to Fairbanks. We plan on staying a week or so before heading back home to the states. We'll be riding all the way back.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-08-2011 | 03:11 AM
AKHD
Tourer

Hello from your vacation destination.

Are you SURE you want to be on the ferry that long?!? You better have a really good book and or just really enjoy relaxing! I strongly recommend riders to instead ride to Prince Rupert BC and ferry to Haines. The roads to those 2 places are a couple of our best and you're only on the ferry for 2 days each way AND the operator of the vehicle goes for free if you book round trip. Here's a thread a few of us locals put together over on ADVrider about riding our ferries: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306558

I've had fun helping some riders plan there trips up over the years as I'm a lifelong Alaskan. If and when you have some time you may enjoy taking a look at my ride report sig line.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

Old 11-09-2011 | 12:19 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

LordFunBags here. We've already made the ferry reservation and paid the money. We chose the long ferry ride because 1) we didn't know any better, 2) we need the rest, 3) we've never done one, 4) we're on a limited timetable, and 5) we didn't know any better. We booked a cabin because I snore enough to disturb a large number of people, and we do like a bit of privacy.

I anticipate us taking the Denali train excursion, but we're wide open for suggestions. We'd like to see as much as we can, but will only have about a week - and realize we could spend several years there and still not see all the places of interest. We don't plan on returning on the ferry, but on riding home all the way.

Old 11-17-2011 | 04:20 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

On the way home, do yourself a favor and stay at the Northern Rockies Lodge in Muncho Lake. The restaurant is sponsored by Warsteiner and has some of the best German food outside of Germany.

http://www.northernrockieslodge.com/

Old 11-17-2011 | 06:24 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

From Whittier, turn left and head down to Seward and/or Homer. There are some great whale/glacier watching excursions at Seward and excellent fishing at Homer. Contact each C of C in those communities...they have excellent websites and you can ask for specific information on each activity. The ride to Denali is great too...the great thing about Alaska is there are so many places to see...the bad thing about Alaska is that it is so HUGE that you can't see everything. Better start making room reservations now. Food and gas was expensive - but the trip is worth every penny spent.

Best advice I ever got about Alaska: Buy the Milepost...it's a catalog that gives excellent information on every mile of each road.

Ride safe.

Old 01-03-2015 | 10:39 AM
SassyClifton
3rd Gear

I realize this post id old, but what type of seat do you have on your Glide?