Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

"Red Stick Rally" end of October... Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:02 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tphillips
For future reference, what are "the good roads"? Just wondering...
Aforementioned HWY 22 from French Settlement through Ponchatoula to Madisonville. Also HWY 40 from I-55 to Global Wildlife Center through Loranger. Beautiful country roads. A "trip back through time". Ain't goin' to the Red Stick thing either.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Sounds like a couple good options... I plan on heading out of Houston about 6a.m. Saturday to meet a friend at BR HD, then to the rally to walk around a bit, then ride some in the area. We then plan on riding some on Sunday a.m. before I head back to Houston. A quick trip for sure, but our schedules dictate our free time...
How about posting your impressions when you get back? I'm always willing to learn something new...have a great time.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:37 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I will... If a friend of mine, whom I have not seen in a while, was not already in BR on business, I doubt I'd be making the trip. But what is life without some uncertain adventure?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:25 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
How about posting your impressions when you get back?...
I checked it out Saturday -- pretty dead, not many folks around, vendors (what there were) looked to be bored to tears.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:49 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
How about posting your impressions when you get back? I'm always willing to learn something new...have a great time.
My impression: L-A-M-E. It was, as already posted, a big [poof] instead of a bang... About 5 vendors and 7 food services -- and that is it! It was not quite a rally as much as it was a get-together. However, it didn't take us long to walk through the whole thing, look at some of the vendors' wares, get a fish taco (actually, very good!) and then head out to do some riding. Glad I didn't pay the extra $15 to park on site!!!

For you in LA., we enjoyed discovering 16, 22, and then 1 and 414/415 etc up on the northwest side of town along the river. And on my heading back to Houston, I discovered and enjoyed 411 south off 190, and intersection with77 on my way back to 1-10.

It was PERFECT weather for riding nonetheless, and now that I am home and looking back, it was a good weekend despite the disappointment on the rally. In 36 hours I put 820 miles on the bike from Houston to BR and back, together with the riding around BR as well.

Oh, for those who want to add a little "flare" if you have the better half with you, check out St. Francesville. It is a neat little place with a lot of shops and quaint restaurants. It is "off the beaten path" but worth the trip.

I'm ready for a real rally -- like Lone Star next weekend!!!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Good riding weather and new roads....sounds like a great weekend. Can't ask for more than that. Thanks for posting back your experience.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:10 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

A ride I did just this last weekend takes LA 10 north/west from Ville Platte(north of Lafayette) all the way to Leesville, then onto 171 north to Anacoco, then 392 over to Toledo Bend Reservoir and north on LA 191. This ride was nice, had rolling hills(well, what we call rolling hills here in S. LA) through forests and nice sweeping curves.
If you guys come to my neck of the woods again and would like a guided tour of some of the better roads around let me know!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 AM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
If you guys come to my neck of the woods again and would like a guided tour of some of the better roads around let me know!
Sure thing, we have a fish camp on Toledo Bend right at the Pendleton Bridge, so we get up that way a lot. I've only been up there on the bike that one time though.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THanks for posting....

Up here, it was a weekend of cleaning and waxing the bike, TO PUT THE COVER ON IT for the winter. 12,500 miles this year. Lots of smiles with them miles!

Care to trade climates??????

Old 10-31-2011, 08:44 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm ready for a real rally -- like Lone Star next weekend!!!
Hell yes, we are heading for Galveston Friday morning!!

Originally Posted by Harley Guy
THanks for posting....

Up here, it was a weekend of cleaning and waxing the bike, TO PUT THE COVER ON IT for the winter.

Care to trade climates??????
Nah, you can keep it. I don't think I could handle having to put up the bike for the winter.

Quick Reply: "Red Stick Rally" end of October... Worth it?