Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Places that need to be seen.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 02:16 PM
parkergeorge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Places that need to be seen.

I’m going to be riding my bike from Southern California to Upstate New York this spring. Probably late March to April time frame depending on when Uncle Sam will let me go get her. Going to take a week or so to make the trip. Going to either head up through Colorado and across the mid west (I-70) or going to take I-40 across the southwest to Texas and the up depending on weather. Wanted to know if anybody knows of any must see places along one of my planned routes. Anyplace that you think I need ride, see, eat at, grab a drink, or just cool place to spend an evening. Any ideas or warnings would be appreciated.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

late march, early april weather in the midwest can be COLD. you might want to think about you're route choice.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:03 PM
parkergeorge
Cruiser

Thats a reason for going across I-40 to avoid the Rocky Mountains if the weather is bad. Cold I can deal with. Snow storms not so much. If I dont go get my bike then it means I wont get to pick her up for another 6 months. Another six months with out my bike is not a option.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:48 AM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

parker, One can cross the Colorado Rockies late March/early April if you have a weather window. I'm at 8800ft. in central Colorado and ride almost 6000 miles on average, up high and down low, every winter.

If you have this weather break, I would first check on the road conditions of Utah 12 from Panguitch to Torrey. A stacked line-up of national parks and monuments. Truly one of the most special rides in the world. From Torrey ride east on UT 24 through Capitol Reef National Park and on up to I-70.

If your ride/trip were during warmer months I would have a list of non interstate must see's in Colorado, but the chances are I-70 through Colorado will be your safest bet. Example... U.S. 160 east through lower Colorado could entice with warm/sunny weather, but the chances are excellent Wolf Creek Pass will still have snow/ice on the road. Check the website http://www.cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm for the latest Colorado road conditions.

If you're able to take the more northern route across the country, east of Colorado I suggest U.S. 36 across northern Kansas or U.S. 160 across southern Kansas. The way to ride Kansas is to experience the small towns, diners, etc. versus blast through on I-70 fighting the tractor trailer traffic. Both 36 and 160 go far east, through Missouri (fun in MO), and on into the midwest.

Well, anyway, this is a start!

Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bagga
late march, early april weather in the midwest can be COLD. you might want to think about you're route choice.
Originally Posted by parkergeorge
Thats a reason for going across I-40 to avoid the Rocky Mountains if the weather is bad. Cold I can deal with. Snow storms not so much. If I dont go get my bike then it means I wont get to pick her up for another 6 months. Another six months with out my bike is not a option.
I'm here to tell you 40 won't be much warmer... Flagstaff AZ is still pretty cool that time of year... Gallup too... Albuquerque will be a bit warmer...

Check the weather and consider 10 if necessary.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 AM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF the weather is bad, depending where you are in SoCal you might consider take the I-8 to the I-10 then cut north were the weather allows. This would give you several cool spots to see going across southern Az (Tombstone, Bisbee, etc). If the weather is good you could cut north on the Coronado Trail (Az Hwy 191). Though since the Wallow Fire I am not sure how it looks through there now, I have not been home since they opened the area back up to check it out. But if the weather allows I would call the 191 a "must ride" location.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:13 AM
parkergeorge
Cruiser

Thanks for the info so far. Im trying to make two planns now so I can chose at the last minute for weather. Ive made the trip a few times before but I have always been in my truck. I had forgot about using I-10 if the weather is bad so will keep it in mind as a backup for I-40.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:31 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I-10 becomes the route consider side trips to Ruidoso NM and Carlsbad Caverns!

Enjoy the trip!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:22 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

If you can, try to get some heated gear to give you more options. I have traveled much of I-40 and there isn't much to see from the slab. Arizona is the exception as it has much to offer. Colorado is a must do. Seven days doesn't give you much wiggle room.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:48 PM
parkergeorge
Cruiser

7 days gives me two days to screw around on the way. Five days or ride time is only around 550 miles a day.

Quick Reply: Places that need to be seen.