Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Deal's gap trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:29 PM
06BlackFLHXI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deal's gap trip

Hi

I am form Quebec Canada, my wife and I are loolking into taking a trip to reide the Dragon in March 2007. It is still winter for us here so I plan to trailer the bike to get to the decent weather. This is something that we have never done before so there is a lot of unknows, so I will trow a few questions out there in hope of getting some good advice,

What is the weather like in North Carolina at that time of the year?

For those who have trailered there bikes before, where would you leave your car, truck trailer for a few days while you are gone? We plane to be on the bike for a few days and hit a few hotels/motels.

to rent a room around Deal's Gap, do you suggest booking way ahead in advance?

Please feel free to add any peice of advice that you think I amy need to make this a succesful trip. This will serve as a trial rune for Daytona 2008

Thanks in advance

Old 11-19-2006, 09:24 AM
DragonNester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Deal's gap trip

Hi,

I live about 22 miles from the Dragon in Tennessee. March is a transition month it can be good or bad. Even in early April there can be ice formed over night on the roads at that elevation. The Dragon is a challenge type road...not prone to frequent stops for photo shoots. It is fun, but keep your head (stay focused) don't push the envelope of skill level. After all it is 318 turrns in 11 miles and they are unforgiving (no shoulders). Weekends on the Dragon are out unless you're a fast crotch rocketeer. The most scenic roads in the area are the Foothills Parkway and the Cherohala Skyway. Be sure to take them in while here. The best and closest Harley Dealership is Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson in Maryville TN. I suggest you call them to store your trailer and get the lowdown on the area. Townsend TN is the small town I suggest to stay while here (good motels). It's close enough to Maryville, the Foothills Parkway, Gatlinburg, Cherokee NC, Clingmans Dome, the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway to be ridden in any day ride out of Townsend. All with really nice scenic rides to each. If you do decide to stay in Townsend there wouldn't be a need to store your trailer anywhere but at the motel you stay at.

Have a fun and safe trip.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:56 AM
sherbert herbert
3rd Gear

in responce 2 dragon master is the correct info.2 follow.what i said!

Old 12-20-2006, 10:55 PM
ridgerunner
Tourer

Don't forget the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's not too far from the Robbinsville, NC. You can get on at Cherokee, NC and head toward north toward Asheville. You can get off the BLP at Balsam Gao and get on to 23/74 and hit Maggie Valley, where there is a great motorcycle museum called Wheels Through Time". You will also pass Ghostown Harley Davidson on 23/74 in case you need something. Waynesville NC is near Maggie Valley. It's a nice little town with restaurants etc. Western NC is loaded with great riding places and you can even head down into the north Georgia mountains which is nice riding. Consider seeing the towns of Helen Ga and Dahlonega Ga.

Happy trails

Old 12-20-2006, 11:28 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

March? I would wait till May, just before the kids get out of school. Weather can be a bear and unpredictable till then. Snow storms in April do happen in the Smokeys.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Inforit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rode to NC frst week of June this year and the weather was great. There was hardley any cars on Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. In 12 days we got rained on once because of the storm coming from Florida.

Enjoy.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:18 AM
mcb
Tourer

Good Advice from a local rider. I have rode to the Dragon from Michigan for the last 5 or 6 years. It is a great ride and the people in the area are great. Hope you take trip and enjoy yourself, be careful while riding the Dragon, it can be a little tricky when a lot of bikes are out there.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Harleyburnout
Advanced

I live in eastern NC and made my first trip to the Dragon in October. It was a little cold, but a fantastic trip. A good post trip site is Killboy.com you can purchase pictures of yourself riding the dragon.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be booking the hotel in January for a July 2007 4-5 trip to the Smokies including the Dragon!

Will probably stay in Robbinsville, NC area.

We (wife included) are looking forward to some great riding

Old 01-09-2007, 10:38 PM
jward2331
Cruiser

The Robbinsville area is a good place to stay. Also check into Fontana Village. There is a website for the place. It has little houses (cabins). Cherohala Skyway is a must, better view than the Dragon. The Dragon is great, will test your skills. Stay away from it on the weekends, the crotch rockets will run you down. Good Luck and enjoy. Weather will always be a challange in the foothills, fog, etc.

John

Quick Reply: Deal's gap trip