Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Chattanooga/Townsend Road Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 AM
mc1960
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chattanooga/Townsend Road Advice

The wife and I are taking a 9 day ride up to Tennessee from Louisiana in mid October, a trip we have taken several times, but all other trips have been in a car,shorter in time, and at a faster pace, interstate all the way to Lenoir City Tn. This time we are planning to make the 600 mile trip up there a 2 day event, and spend the next 6 days riding and enjoying the scenery of E. Tennessee. N. Carolina, Georgia. On the way up I am wanting to get off of the interstate somewhere after Chattanooga, ride the Cherohala Skyway, Dragon, and Foothills Parkway. We will be staying in Wears Valley, and that looked like a good scenic route to get the trip started out on the right foot. What are your suggestions on exit on Interstate 75, route to the Skyway? Thanks

Old 08-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

A route that you would find scenic would be to take I-75 to Cleveland, TN and then take Hwy 64 east along the Ocoee River to TN 68, then north to Tellico Plains. The Hwy 64 stretch will take you along the river where the Olympic whitewater events were held, and is very pretty. TN 68 winds through the National Forest, and parts of it are quite twisty. Tellico Plains is the western terminus of the Cherohala Skyway, and the eastern terminus is near the southern end of the Tail of the Dragon. At the north end of the Tail of the Dragon is the Foothills Parkway which will take you to Townsend. From there, it's just a short tide to Wears Valley.

All of that makes for a long day, but some of the best riding east of the Mississippi. Once you have gotten to Wears Valley, all of the Smokies awaits you - you could easily spend a week riding all of the roads in the area!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:36 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me I wouldn't go to chat and then cleveland. If you get off I-75 at the last cartersville exit, Hwy 411 to Chatsworth, good road and a straight shot to 64 that Pastor John was talking about. It'll cut off a good bit of crappy interstate riding for you. it's about 60 or 65 miles to hiway 64 after you get off I-75. Or instead of taking 64 east into the mountains you could go on up 411 to maryville tn and visit smokey mtn hd. and go from there. head east from the dealership on 231 for 12 or 15 miles and you'll come to the foothils parkway. (nice ride but short) it leads you directly to the dragon. I live in North Ga. within 5 miles of 411. If you wanna do the cherohala first, while traveling 411 when you get to madisonville tn.you can turn right and be in tellico plains pretty quick, just go thru town and your on the chrohala. from there to the dragon, a lotta riding in that part of the country

Old 08-30-2011, 07:10 AM
mc1960
Tourer

A route that you would find scenic would be to take I-75 to Cleveland, TN and then take Hwy 64 east along the Ocoee River to TN 68, then north to Tellico Plains. The Hwy 64 stretch will take you along the river where the Olympic whitewater events were held, and is very pretty. TN 68 winds through the National Forest, and parts of it are quite twisty. Tellico Plains is the western terminus of the Cherohala Skyway, and the eastern terminus is near the southern end of the Tail of the Dragon. At the north end of the Tail of the Dragon is the Foothills Parkway which will take you to Townsend. From there, it's just a short tide to Wears Valley.

That is the route I was looking at, just wasn't sure of the road conditions. Thanks

Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 AM
mc1960
Tourer

I was looking at the Harley Davidson Ride Planner, and it shows Foothills Parkway going all of the way to Wears Valley Road. I thought as Pastor John had said, that it terminated at 321 at Townsend. Is this a mistake on the map showing it going thru to Wears Valley Road or not. Thanks

Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 PM
stafford
Road Warrior

it begins at 129 and ends a 321.You'll be adding a bunch of miles if you go to cleveland on i-75 to get there. 411 to chatsworth is the most direct way and good riding just gotta go thru a few small towns. I just google mapped it and its 18 miles further to go to chatt. then cleveland to ocoee tn. from cartersville ga.

Last edited by stafford; 08-30-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 PM
bigpercentcountry
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mc1960
I was looking at the Harley Davidson Ride Planner, and it shows Foothills Parkway going all of the way to Wears Valley Road. I thought as Pastor John had said, that it terminated at 321 at Townsend. Is this a mistake on the map showing it going thru to Wears Valley Road or not. Thanks
It's kind of a mistake. The road is actually built between 321 and Wears Valley (also 321), but a bridge or two is missing. The road is not open to vehicular traffic, only foot/horseback/bicycle. You will see where it crosses Wears Valley Road/321 at one point. If they ever finish it, it will run parkway style from 129 all the way into Gatlinburg, at the bypass. This then runs into 441 (Newfound Gap), through the Smokies over to Cherokee where you pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway. That would make for an awesome ride.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:18 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Hwy 11

You could also pick up highway 11 in Chat. and ride it up to hwy 68 just south of Sweetwater. Turn right on 68 and that takes you to Tellico Plains. Highway 11 reminds me of the 2 lane roads that used to cover the US before interstates. Hwy 411 is a nice ride but it is all 4 lane, as far as I know.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:12 PM
stafford
Road Warrior

some of the georgia section is 4 lane not too much, and on to ocoee tn. less than half. after you get above benton tn. a few miles it's 4 lane to maryville. I'd a lot rather ride the four lanes on 411 than the damned madhouse on 75, and again it's more direct for the area he's wanting to go to.