Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

advice for ride,WV to north central PA.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:19 PM
jwright302
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default advice for ride,WV to north central PA.

So I'm sitting here drinking a beer pondering on a 3 day (2 night) ride up far into PA. I live in northern WV just south of Morgantown and I seem to end up in the mountains of eastern/ south eastern WV every weekend (which is wonderful ) but I'd like to venture up north a bit into the Allegheny National Forest, I hope to ride RT 6 and on RT 666 also, and just basically do some of RT 6 since its touted as a great scenic route. Can anyone give me some direction as the best ( least interstate ) route to get to that area ? looks like I need to get north of I80 to see the good stuff.. Thanks.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Buna
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find your way to Franklin, PA and hit Rt. 62. That will take you to 666 and on to Rt. 6. I rode it back in June on my way to Maine and it was nice ride. 6 is not as scenic as I thought it would be and had quite a bit of truck traffic. The Warren area was nice and the PA Grand Canyon over by Wellsburg was ok. Riding the mountains of WV kind of spoiled me I think.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

Just a thought... Bruceton Mills take 26N to Brandonville. Turn left on the Clifton Rd (Rt 8) and stay on it to the PA line where it becomes PA 381. I think PA refers to 381 as a scenic byway, it is a nice little road and it's heading NNE for you. When you hit Rt 30 turn left on it, then Rt on 711. Follow 711 (NNE) to Rt 22 and take 22E cross RT 220 in Altoona. In the little town of Water Street left on 453 for a mile or so then Rt on 45. 45 somewhat parallels 220 running NE skirting just east of St College. After St College 45 will start heading east so you'll need to pick a left to go north and cross I-80.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:53 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in SE Ohio and made that ride a couple of years ago. We made our way to north of Pburg to Rt 8 up to US 62. Hada great ride anda good time, then across US 6 to Mansfield and south on 15. Then rode US 11 along the river and somehow wound up in York at the HD factory..Take the tour, I thought it was great. Stpooed in Gettysburg and did a bus tour there and then back to US 50 through WV. Without a doubt, some of the best riding that I have experienced.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

I live in N Central PA & never get tired of riding up here. You have alot of suggestions on getting up here, but here are a few things you should stop & see. These are on route 6 --- Kinzua Bridge State Park, PA Grand Canyon. Not far from 6 is Kinzua Dam. Benezette PA --- Not on 6, but a cool place for lunch & just might see some elk wandering around town.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second PA Grand Canyon.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:43 AM
jwright302
Tourer

Originally Posted by Buna
Find your way to Franklin, PA and hit Rt. 62. That will take you to 666 and on to Rt. 6. I rode it back in June on my way to Maine and it was nice ride. 6 is not as scenic as I thought it would be and had quite a bit of truck traffic. The Warren area was nice and the PA Grand Canyon over by Wellsburg was ok. Riding the mountains of WV kind of spoiled me I think.

Hey thanks a lot, RT 62 is in the plans now, the truck traffic may get me though, as i might be riding through there during the week. Id had never heard of the PA grand canyon, I will be stopping by there now.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:45 AM
jwright302
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ridewva
Just a thought... Bruceton Mills take 26N to Brandonville. Turn left on the Clifton Rd (Rt 8) and stay on it to the PA line where it becomes PA 381. I think PA refers to 381 as a scenic byway, it is a nice little road and it's heading NNE for you. When you hit Rt 30 turn left on it, then Rt on 711. Follow 711 (NNE) to Rt 22 and take 22E cross RT 220 in Altoona. In the little town of Water Street left on 453 for a mile or so then Rt on 45. 45 somewhat parallels 220 running NE skirting just east of St College. After St College 45 will start heading east so you'll need to pick a left to go north and cross I-80.

I've followed this route on my map and thats the way im going now, thanks so much for the info, I hadnt even noticed RT 45 on there, and i always look for the dotted lines of the scenic roads.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:49 AM
jwright302
Tourer

Originally Posted by jay72
I live in SE Ohio and made that ride a couple of years ago. We made our way to north of Pburg to Rt 8 up to US 62. Hada great ride anda good time, then across US 6 to Mansfield and south on 15. Then rode US 11 along the river and somehow wound up in York at the HD factory..Take the tour, I thought it was great. Stpooed in Gettysburg and did a bus tour there and then back to US 50 through WV. Without a doubt, some of the best riding that I have experienced.

RT 11 and RT 62 are in my plans now, doubt I will have time for the York factory this trip but I will have to check that out sometime. RT 50 across WV is one of the best, seems like every poker run around here goes that way, for good reason. Thanks for the info..

Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 AM
jwright302
Tourer

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
I live in N Central PA & never get tired of riding up here. You have alot of suggestions on getting up here, but here are a few things you should stop & see. These are on route 6 --- Kinzua Bridge State Park, PA Grand Canyon. Not far from 6 is Kinzua Dam. Benezette PA --- Not on 6, but a cool place for lunch & just might see some elk wandering around town.
Im looking these places up and adding them to my trip, that is really great info, thanks, I want to take as many sites in as i can.

Quick Reply: advice for ride,WV to north central PA.