Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

advice for ride,WV to north central PA.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 AM
jwright302
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harley Guy
I second PA Grand Canyon.

awesome, thanks for adding those pictures. I am going to go get some of my own in a couple days.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:34 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Geezr glidr won't steer you wrong. He helped me lay out our trip and I'll thank him again today for the suggestions. I don't know if the oil drilling is still happening near Wellsboro and Mansfield so watch yourself.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

You're welcome again, jay72! Glad I could help. By the way (to jwright) there's some gaswell drilling going on, but you'll hardly notice it, west of Wellsboro, and on these routes. Busy truck traffic now in Wellsboro, and route 6, east of Wellsboro isn't a fun ride anymore. Head south again when you get to 15 & you'll be fine. I lead a ride for some guys from Gettysburg, last Saturday. 360 miles to Kinzua, Benezette, and Grand Canyon. Might have passed a few trucks, but no traffic to wait around for.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:03 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

From Morgantown, if I wanted to see the Allegheny Forest, I'd take 119 North until it joins 219 and continue North into Bradford. Bradford is a good town to use a base and do some great sight seeing.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:20 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Default That was US

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
You're welcome again, jay72! Glad I could help. By the way (to jwright) there's some gaswell drilling going on, but you'll hardly notice it, west of Wellsboro, and on these routes. Busy truck traffic now in Wellsboro, and route 6, east of Wellsboro isn't a fun ride anymore. Head south again when you get to 15 & you'll be fine. I lead a ride for some guys from Gettysburg, last Saturday. 360 miles to Kinzua, Benezette, and Grand Canyon. Might have passed a few trucks, but no traffic to wait around for.
Jim, that was our group and many thanks, a job well done....360miles-that all..wow, both Peg and Val said they loved the long ride on there superglides..Awesome riding in the area and we're planning for next year, Best, D

Attached Thumbnails advice for ride,WV to north central PA.-p7160059.jpg  
Old 09-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by duglaura&flhti
Jim, that was our group and many thanks, a job well done....360miles-that all..wow, both Peg and Val said they loved the long ride on there superglides..Awesome riding in the area and we're planning for next year, Best, D
You're welcome, Doug. I had a blast. 360 is what I had anyway, door to door that day.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Originally Posted by pbsdaddy
From Morgantown, if I wanted to see the Allegheny Forest, I'd take 119 North until it joins 219 and continue North into Bradford. Bradford is a good town to use a base and do some great sight seeing.
Yep, just ran those routes from Pittsburgh into WVa, and then 250 across to 220 South, then into Va / NC. 250 West to 220 North will also get you into Central PA.

(My wife's family is from Grey's Flat so I've done some riding around Fairmont years ago. You've got some pretty great roads right out your back door too!)

Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 AM
mechmatt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Benezette is cool, if you get there in the evening you should be able to see some Elk. 555 to 872 to 120 to 6 is a nice ride. In Austin PA there was a dam that a few guys built and it was poorly constructed and blew apart, flooded the town. Parts of the dam are still there. I think it's impressive, massive pieces of concrete just pushed around. I would call ahead if you plan on staying in a motel. A lot of drilling for gas is going on in that area and rooms can be hard to come by at times.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:07 PM
jwright302
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Everyone ! I made that trip August 28-30, went alone and it was a nice get-away, actually went rt250 to wv route 7 to new martinsville, crossed over and rode Ohio route 7 north to rt 11 north to I90 east over the PA line then from some advice from a local got on rt6N which got me to Warren PA where i stayed the night, cool little town. The next day I did the loop on rt666- to rt62 to rt66 (I did that backwards for no good reason) and ended up back on rt6 east and stopped at the Kinzua Bridge State Park, which was really cool ( Thanks GeezrGlidr, I forgot to plan and stop at the damn dam though ), stopped and checked out the PA grand canyon, went onto Wellsboro PA and stayed the night. The last day I rode hard south and west the route that Ridewva posted on here, thanks ! , so I kinda did it *** backwards due to avoiding any possibility of catching the edge of that hurricane. Thanks to everyone that gave me advice, it helped a lot and it meant a lot to me. I'm attaching some pics I took along the way.

By the way, I encountered very little truck traffic except for rt66 and it wasnt too bad, I'm used to the WV coal trucks.

Attached Thumbnails advice for ride,WV to north central PA.-dscn1177.jpg   advice for ride,WV to north central PA.-dscn1183.jpg   advice for ride,WV to north central PA.-dscn1184.jpg   advice for ride,WV to north central PA.-dscn1206.jpg  
Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Too bad. The dam's only about 10 miles (or less) from Warren, on 59! Glad you had a fun ride. Kinzua bridge has been open now, for only about a month or so. Haven't been able to walk out onto the bridge since the tornado & the new observation deck with the glass in the floor, and the walk out to it, has been under construction since last spring. That used to be an excursion train out of Kane, and the train would stop to let people out, if they didn't want to ride across the bridge. My in-laws have been on it.

Quick Reply: advice for ride,WV to north central PA.