Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

USA Four Corners Tour?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 06:55 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default USA Four Corners Tour?

Anyone on here done the Four Corners Tour - (http://www.usa4corners.org/)? I am looking at doing this, probably solo in July 2012.

I have ridden in most of the states including Alaska and to Newfoundland. Just completed a trip "Out West" (http://jimsmotorcycletrips.blogspot.com/).

Any tips, comments, "would you do it again", etc.?

Old 08-21-2011, 02:45 AM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have been working on the planning of the same trip for the last year. It is supposed to be my celebration adventure for when I am done working in the middle east. Not sure how you are planning on doing it (hotel vs campground-tent style) but I was looking at the camping style with a bed roll, for the adventure and because I am a cheap bastard...lol. If that is your plan don't forget the state and national parks for cheap stops. I started with KOAs but some of them are just as expensive as staying in a motel, which I might end up doing every couple of days just for a good shower and chance to do laundry as needed.

I saw your map and it looks like we are on the same path for most of the trip. I am planning on going in a clockwise direction starting from the house in Az and cutting above the Great Lakes through Canada, but that is mostly because my wife has family scattered in that area and it will be a free place to crash out for a night (or few days if there is time) and then through Florida I was planing on going south on the Atlantic side and north on the Gulf side just to get a feel for the state since I have never been.

Any suggestions you have for traveling solo, long distance trips? This will be my first attempt at something like this and I am a little apprehensive. What kind of budget should be planned is my main concern. Sleeping arraignments don't seem to be worrying me all tha much since push come to shove with a bedroll I could just pull over into a rest area and crash out for a few hours. But ever changing fuel costs and the dreaded breakdown in the middle of nowhere are weighing heavy in my thoughts....

Good luck in your planning and the ride when it comes.

Jake

Last edited by AzDesertTroll; 08-21-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

No, I have not and probably would not. Long trips are my favorite, the longer the better, but not riding 600mi. a day on the interstates just to say I "did it". I enjoy the scenery of the 2 lanes, mountain passes,etc and I have nothing to prove about how many miles I can or do ride. I'm not saying thats your goal.
I don't get to take near as many long trips as I would like (job & money) so I try to make each trip completely enjoyable.
To each their own, if it that makes you happy, go for it. If / when you go, please post story with
some pics, I might find another place to visit. Ride Safe!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:57 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

might as well throw in a couple of "iron butts" while you are at it...run at least 600 miles a day and get it over with. never heard of anybody doing it more than once. i doubt you will look back 20 years from now and say that it was one of the greatest rides or adventures of your life. JMO

Old 08-21-2011, 08:02 AM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikey 1450
No, I have not and probably would not. Long trips are my favorite, the longer the better, but not riding 600mi. a day on the interstates just to say I "did it". I enjoy the scenery of the 2 lanes, mountain passes,etc and I have nothing to prove about how many miles I can or do ride. I'm not saying thats your goal.
I don't get to take near as many long trips as I would like (job & money) so I try to make each trip completely enjoyable.
To each their own, if it that makes you happy, go for it. If / when you go, please post story with
some pics, I might find another place to visit. Ride Safe!
Well, I kinda see this Four Corners Tour as the kind of "long trip" you have described that you like. The average distance for the Four Corners Tour of the completed riders in 2010 was 7,825 miles and you have 21 days to complete. That is only an average of 373 miles per day. My trip "out west" this summer I averaged 391 miles per day and a lot of that was on 2 lane roads, mountain passes and visiting national parks. I also rode to the Arctic Circle in Alaska last summer and averaged 402 miles per day. I never had a time or target in mind, but I still exceeded what I would need to do to finish the Four Corners tour on time. I plan to take as many of the 2 lane roads and visit as many "interesting" places as I can along the route and still have plenty of time to complete the tour. I guess the Four Corners locations helps give me an "incentive" to head in those directions with a destination in mind, but, more importantly, to enjoy and experience the journey in between. Anyway, that is my thinking to do this type of trip that I have never done before.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Macker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't done an iron butt, don't need patches or pins, I'm not a HOG member just to feel part of group. However, if others do I'm fine with that. To each his own.

I have read about this ride before and I might do it for the same reason you mention, a reason to go through some parts of the country I might otherwise not see.

I also agree the mileage would be easy to do even taking a more scenic route.

Good luck with the trip and shoot me a pm before you head through Houston if you'd like some company. If I'm around I might show a bit of the Texas hill country as you head west.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:17 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
Well, I kinda see this Four Corners Tour as the kind of "long trip" you have described that you like. The average distance for the Four Corners Tour of the completed riders in 2010 was 7,825 miles and you have 21 days to complete. That is only an average of 373 miles per day. My trip "out west" this summer I averaged 391 miles per day and a lot of that was on 2 lane roads, mountain passes and visiting national parks. I also rode to the Arctic Circle in Alaska last summer and averaged 402 miles per day. I never had a time or target in mind, but I still exceeded what I would need to do to finish the Four Corners tour on time. I plan to take as many of the 2 lane roads and visit as many "interesting" places as I can along the route and still have plenty of time to complete the tour. I guess the Four Corners locations helps give me an "incentive" to head in those directions with a destination in mind, but, more importantly, to enjoy and experience the journey in between. Anyway, that is my thinking to do this type of trip that I have never done before.
Sounds like a plan, best of luck to you and the others who participate.
You mentioned the Artic circle, Alaska is and has been my Dream trip for many years. Not sure about riding the haul road just yet. 21 days @ 373mi./day thats a ton of riding. Let us know how it goes.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:43 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

I agree with ROCKER NH Just ride for 2 days , enjoy whatever is there and then go home . Milage does not mean **** , I have gone 100 miles and had a blast , and 500 and was bored !! Enjoy the journey THAT IS WHAT COUNTS !

Old 06-26-2020, 10:44 AM
user 7172984932
Banned
Received 18,014 Likes on 9,228 Posts

The 4 corner tour of US is like a Woody Allen story
He took a speed reading course. He read War and Peace in an hour. He says it’s about Russia.

4 Corner tour is about US