Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Returned from Deals Gap area

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:05 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returned from Deals Gap area

Well wife and I just returned from vacation. We originally were going to ride to Sturgis again this year, but she wanted to see her parents. So we loaded the kid and dogs in the 4runner, and the bike and luggage in the trailer (first time ever trailering a bike) and headed to SC. Spent a week with family and then headed to Ironhorse Lodge.

Day 1. Since we were in the Anderson, SC area we rode HWY28 (Moonshiner28) from Anderson, through Walhalla, Highlands, Franklin, and up to where we were staying. The Ironhorse Lodge is nice, quiet, and very friendly. They have covered M/C parking also. We had a private room. Only thing I didn't like was that there wasn't a fridge in the room. The rented coolers and ice was $2 a bag. Plus it is a dry county and I like to have a beer or 3 in the evening. Otherwise, it was real nice. It started storming 30 minutes after we arrived, so we waited it out and then rode to get some dinner... Course we caught up to the rain and got a little wet before dinner.

Day 2. Rode the rest of Moonshiner28 to the Dragon in the morning. Fog on the lakes was real cool. Hung out at Deals Gap for a while and talked to a local from Tenn that is also a mechanic. It was a pleasure talking bikes with him. Then we rode the Dragon. OK, that was fun... but I feel a little over rated as 28 and some of the other roads were just as good or better, plus had a 45-55mph speed limit vice the posted 30mph on the Dragon. Left outta there after the over look and some pics and headed to Cherahola Skyway. That was great with really nice sweepers and some great scenery, minus the road work on the Tenn side in the west bound lane. Where it gets close to Robbinsville, it gets technical and was every bit as good as the dragon in that respect (IMO). Then rode up to Bryson City for Italian food and some beer.

Day 3 rode up to Cherokee and Gatlinburg. Nice ride other then the traffic. Both cities suck IMO. Both are tourist traps with nothing but junk being sold with the occasional authentic Indian art thrown in...

Day 4 headed back home... on Moonshiner28. We stopped at all the falls, which are really cool. There are two near Highlands that are worth stopping for. We also stopped in Highlands for lunch and the wife did a little shopping. Now that is a nice town (but can be expensive). And then on home... At the end of Moonshiner right before Walhalla is The Last Chance Saloon. It wasn't open going up or coming down the mountain for us... But regardless 28 was a blast to ride for the most part. Just have to watch the frost heaves on the East bound side and the tar snakes on the Georgia stretch.

All and all, it was a very fun trip and Deals Gap area is worth a visit. We met some interesting people, had some great riding, and returned home safely. Wife took vids and pics on her iPhone, just need to upload some when I get em over to this computer...

Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a great trip! That area is my back yard, so I get to see it often. I agree with you about the Dragon - I ride it a couple of times each year, but it's so technical that I don't find it particularly enjoyable. I much prefer the scenery on the Cherohala Skyway, Foothills Parkway, and inside the Smokies.

And yeah... you can definitely go broke in Highlands if you are with your wife!

Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 PM
assaultthesalt
Cruiser

I also just got back from a week long visit up in NC. We stayed in Bryson City.....kinda central for all the roads we wanted to ride.I agree w/ you on US 28......it was me and the ol' lady's favorite road.We also did the Cherohala Skyway,Blueridge Parkway, The Dragon and US 19 to Maggie Valley to the Wheels Through Time Museum. We are definately going back next year ro the year after that to go explore more of the roads.It was right at 1,000 miles to get there from south of Houston.Can't wait to get back !

Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 AM
nozzlehead
Advanced

Me & my wife rode up there last weekend our selves. We enjoyed the other roads around the dragon better. It scared the crap out of us each time the crotch rockets flew by us like we was going in reverse. We had a great time. Weather was good. Meet people from everywhere.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Interesting to know the Dragon's overrated - might have to take that one off my future trip list. Tourist towns do suck (your $$$ on touristy crap), but looks like your trip was a winner.

IMO - Sturgis is overrated too w/all the marketing, hype, etc...not quite the rally of yesterday. I think you headed in a better direction w/good sites & little/no traffic. Can't wait to see the pics/vid. Thanks for sharing.