Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Accuracy of GPS units around BRP area.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accuracy of GPS units around BRP area.

I know many riders are using GPS more and more. How much can I depend on mine in that area? What are the best GPS units to have for the bike? Thanks for any input on the subject! FT

Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Gps & brp

All of the civilian GPS units are good to within 3 meters or about 9 feet. You just have to be able to get a fix to know exactly where you are. The BRP has lots of open areas and lots of overhanging trees in other areas. That said, my GPS will show my position even when it loses it's 3D fix. What that means is it doesn't hook on enough satellites to give a perfect fix but seems to be able to keep up with my speed and position on the moving map.
I think most units will be able to keep your position pretty well. I have used mine on part of the parkway and didn't have any gliches.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The challenge that I see with the Garmin (and perhaps other) GPS units on the BRP is a lack of detail on the base map. The map shows almost all of the crossroads, but in general you are traveling on a roadway that has little around it other than forest and very rural areas, so "points of interest" are minimal.

But still, the GPS is valuable in tracking your progress on a road like that, and towns that are near the roadway show up well.

I have had the Zumo 550 for about three years or so. The newer Zumo 660/665 models can be had for close to the same price and are improved significantly.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:46 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Mine works fine in that area. I have a Zumo 550 as well.

I know it seems hard to justify to spend the extra money to get a gps designed for a motorcycle, but I think it's worth every extra penny.

Shock resistant, water resistant, much more secure mounting bracket and able to use them with gloves on.

Dennis

Old 08-12-2011, 10:27 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by rochkes
Mine works fine in that area...
I know it seems hard to justify to spend the extra money to get a gps designed for a motorcycle, but I think it's worth every extra penny...

Rode the BRP recently, my Garmin Nuvi 255 worked fine. I'm one of those cheapos who have not been able to justify the extra cost. I'm never had any problems with vibration, and if rain starts I just slip a ziplock bag over the unit. As for a secure mount, I don't think there's much better than the Ram mount.

Bigger issue for me was ATT's lack of service in the mountains! If I'd had a problem that required me to call for help, I would have had to flag down someone else and ask to call on their phone.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by PPBART
I don't think there's much better than the Ram mount.
I agree, but rams mounts can be used on any model of gps. How the unit attaches to the ram mount is what is very different.

I am not saying the cheaper auto versions won't work and work well. I used a 130 street pilot before the zumo 550.

Just saying there are advantages. What they are worth is just an opinion.

Dennis

Old 08-12-2011, 04:41 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

One thing to consider is how old are the maps in the GPS. I was just down in Gatlinburg and my cheapy Nuvi 205 worked great, buddys on board (GoldWing) Garmin with 2008 maps had us riding through fields while I had all the roads. So I think the answer is to have updated maps.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by asm481
One thing to consider is how old are the maps in the GPS... So I think the answer is to have updated maps.
+1(!) I update maps on my units annually (or I replace the unit with a new model).

Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the BRP earlier this summer and my Garmin 255w worked fine. Used a couple times to find closest fuel and it was spot on.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:20 AM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Just did the BRP the entire length with a Nuvi 755T. I did see a couple of spots where according to the GPS I was riding on grass. They are great on that road for determining the closest fuel. I also like to be able to switch it to show elevation which was normally within 10-20 feet of the posted elevations. Also great to show you how sharp the next turn in the road is. I fiind in NC they will post the speed limit at 55 and never warn you that you can't take the next turn over 35 and stay on the road. Got back on the drive from a side trip from fuel and was good to see the GPS telling me is was heading north when I should have been heading south. I like to be able to plot the roads I want to ride, download to the GPS and then just sit back and enjoy the ride. I wouoldn't want to travel without one.

Quick Reply: Accuracy of GPS units around BRP area.