Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cody to Sturgis to Australia

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:24 PM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hummmm! 2012!

Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 PM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bamarider
I hope you road the PIG TAIL! Don't tell me you missed that. It is near Mt. Rushmore. Now here is the fun way to get there. Go through Custer State Park using the Sylvan Lake Resort entrance. Enjoy the ride but traveling down through the park watch for the Playhouse signs! CR 753 is the road the Playhouse is own. Take CR 753 and in a few miles you will come up to 16A. Turn left and follow 16A toward Mt. Rushmore. I think the road name is Iron something? Maybe someone can help with that one. If you miss this road you will disappointed.

Also don't forget Vanocker Canyon road. Man you really need me there! Just pull over at your first stop and wait till I get there!LOL!
We did the Pigtail a couple of days ago Bama. There are heaps of great rides and I'm sure I didn't do half of them, which gives me an excuse to catch you there next year and the year after.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:25 AM
bamarider
Tourer

Where did you stay? It could be we can get a few people to join us next year.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 AM
FlyLow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm game next year for sure!!! Looks like this time of year our flying slows down a bit so I can take some vacation time without being missed...
How is that Heritage working out Mick you enjoying riding it?
What were you doing getting some pen stripping done to it under the tent?

Old 08-12-2011, 04:08 PM
bamarider
Tourer

Flylow, maybe we can find a big cabin there. I have a Motorhome we can use but I prefer to ride the bike instead of towing.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:10 AM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member

Hi Don & John. I'm definitely coming back next year. This year I had the most unbelievable luck. I walked into McDonalds just after arriving there on day 1 to get out of a rainshower and the best looking girl at the whole event was in there in a pair of leather shorts. I asked her boyfriend if he minded me having a photo taken with her. I was the first of many. Then I got talking to them and we got along real well. They took me back to their trailer where I stayed with them. Turns out he didn't have a bike so she was on the back of mine all week. You don't even dream stuff like that. Shame I couldn't keep her but I have plenty of photos. Her bloke was a great guy too. Back in Vegas tonight after riding home in a hurry to meet my buddy from Australia. Will write and post pics in the morning. Pretty tired now. The bike is great Don. I think I'll be keeping this one. Once again, it hasn't missed a beat anbd I've done over 3,000 miles on her already. I know the line about Harley's reliability but my experience has always been the opposite. In relation to where I stayed, it was the best place at Sturgis IMHO and the cheapest I think. It's by invitation only. No names no packdrill just here but I now know the owners and have their card. I'm pretty sure we'll be good but we'll need a tent, trailer or something. Toilets, showers, washing and breakfast and dinner if you want it are all provided. Cheers.

Last edited by MJR28; 08-14-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 AM
bamarider
Tourer

Originally Posted by MJR28
Hi Don & John. I'm definitely coming back next year. This year I had the most unbelievable luck. I walked into McDonalds just after arriving there on day 1 to get out of a rainshower and the best looking girl at the whole event was in there in a pair of leather shorts. I asked her boyfriend if he minded me having a photo taken with her. I was the first of many. Then I got talking to them and we got along real well. They took me back to their trailer where I stayed with them. Turns out he didn't have a bike so she was on the back of mine all week. You don't even dream stuff like that. Shame I couldn't keep her but I have plenty of photos. Her bloke was a great guy too. Back in Vegas tonight after riding home in a hurry to meet my buddy from Australia. Will write and post pics in the morning. Pretty tired now. The bike is great Don. I think I'll be keeping this one. Once again, it hasn't missed a beat anbd I've done over 3,000 miles on her already. I know the line about Harley's reliability but my experience has always been the opposite. In relation to where I stayed, it was the best place at Sturgis IMHO and the cheapest I think. It's by invitation only. No names no packdrill just here but I now know the owners and have their card. I'm pretty sure we'll be good but we'll need a tent, trailer or something. Toilets, showers, washing and breakfast and dinner if you want it are all provided. Cheers.
This sounds good! How big of a trailer? I am up for it. Flylow mentioned about a Lake Superior run but Sturgis sounds good to me. How far away from Sturgis was the camp? My cousins rides with me a lot. Do you think adding one more will be an issue? Let me know and count me in!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 AM
FlyLow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy Talk about a lucky Guy Mick... Yea here where I work our flying slows around mid July through about Mid August and will be a great time for me to get away.
We certainly start planning for next year. It's been well over 25 years since I was up there.
Don

Old 08-16-2011, 12:45 AM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member

The camp is about 1/2 a mile from the main strip. Real close. I'm sure adding another one won't matter Bama. I'm pretty sure I will be bringing 1 or 2 as well. Maybe even the wife this time.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:34 AM
bamarider
Tourer

Originally Posted by MJR28
The camp is about 1/2 a mile from the main strip. Real close. I'm sure adding another one won't matter Bama. I'm pretty sure I will be bringing 1 or 2 as well. Maybe even the wife this time.
We are in! Let me know what I need to do. Also you come across one of those deals on a good bike let me know.

Quick Reply: Cody to Sturgis to Australia