Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Going around Lake Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going around Lake Michigan

The wife and I are going to go around Lake Michigan and have no idea of what there is to see in the lower part of the state. We are starting in Milwaukee and going thru Chicago. Looking for interesting sites to see, anyone have any suggestions?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Did this ride last year, the gals loved Door county.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of info and pictures here from my trip I just completed ->

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...-michigan.html

We had a blast! Not sure what your intended path is, but I'd recommend visiting the Traverse City area and riding the tunnel of trees. In the UP, head up along the Lake Superior shoreline and ride H58 from Grand Marais to Munising.

Looks like we're neighbors! Feel free to msg me anytime.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did this ride a couple of weeks ago. My suggestion, stay the HELL out of Chicago. 6 lanes of traffic, 75 MPH and the toll booths on I-294 in the extreme right lane. Kinda hard to get across the traffic to throw money at the toll booth. US 131 is a beautiful road, saw a south bound eagle flying over as we were north bount, darn near twisted my neck off trying to look back to watch it. Make your way to a little town east of Ludington off US 10 called Baldwin and check out Jones' Ice Cream Shop on the main drag. They make a killer coconut ice cream. Go north out of there to Petopsky and comb the beaches for some of their rocks. There are only 2 places in the world to find them and the other place is in Africa. From there north to M22, that road is a must. from there thru Traverse City backalong the coast to M119. It starts out as a wide 2 lane and ends up as a narrow 1 lane but it is worth the effort. Plan on getting to the north end of M119 sometime after 11:00AM and eat at Legs Inn. Now that's a dandy place to eat. From there it's a short hop to Mackinaw City and the bridge. They were working on the paved section when we crossed, so we had to ride the grates. Talk about a WHITE KNUCKLE experience. If you have the time, I would suggest that you travel to Munising and take one of the boat tours to see picture rocks. If you do this, you will have seen 3 of the Great Lakes. On your left is lake Michigan when you cross the bridge and on your right is Huron. You will see Superior at Munising. And if you're not familiar, there can be an extreme temperature swing when you cross the bridge and when you get near Superior. We saw temps range fron the high 80's while in Baldwin to 42, 30 MPH winds and rain while near Superior. Hope this helps.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:01 PM
rmfischer
Cruiser

If you are taking a trip around lake Michigan why not try to stay by the lake as much as possible. Coming through chicago take Lake shore drive instead of 294. You will drive right next to the lake. Slower traffic and much better views than 294.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer

Thanks everyone. I've been in upper Mich. before, but have never been to the lower section. Unfortunatly, we won't be spending that much time there, we want to do this trip in 3 days or less. This will be a good test for the wife on distance riding.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:42 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why not take the lake express across the lake. Yes it is expensive but puts you right where you want to be and saves on time.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Did the reverse trip two weeks ago. Started in Grand Rapids and went to Milwaukee and then to Southern Indiana. Great trip

Old 07-21-2011, 01:43 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Kinda pushing it to get around the lake in 3 days or less. You're not going to see much other than pavement.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:09 AM
Geezer glider
Tourer

Yea, We are really thinking about the ferry now. It's something different that we haven't done, and from what I been checking out, we won't really miss out on much from not riding around the lake. A friend of mine wants to do an iron butt ride around Lake Mich. so that might be my chance to say I rode ALL the way around the lake!

Quick Reply: Going around Lake Michigan